Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 5:29 am

It turns out that misophonia might be a form of synesthesia. This makes sense as my extra auditory response to specific sounds ranges from fight or flight to sensory pleasure. The sound of thick water gurgling over rocks creates a rather difficult to quantify feeling - its subtly intoxicating.

Quote:
Nevertheless, misophonia displays similarities to a genetic condition known as synesthesia. In synesthesia, as in misophonia, particular sensory stimuli evoke particular and consistent, additional sensations and associations. Well-known forms of synesthesia include letters evoking a particular color, or sounds/music evoking colors (Cytowic, 1989; Baron-Cohen et al., 1996; Simner et al., 2006) but there are in fact many different subtypes of synesthesia, with a variety of “inducers” (e.g., music, taste, words, sequences) evoking certain “concurrents” (e.g., color, shapes, taste). While most synesthesia research has examined the perceptual sensations related to synesthesia, the condition seems to have an affective component as well. First, synesthetic congruency (e.g., when a grapheme-color synesthete sees a letter in the “correct” color) is related to positive affect (e.g., Callejas et al., 2007). Furthermore, both inducers (Ward, 2004; Ramachandran et al., 2012) and concurrents (Simner and Holenstein, 2007) can be of emotional rather than perceptual nature. Interestingly, the latter indicates that for certain subtypes of synesthesia, similar to misophonia, inducers evoke a particular feeling or emotion rather than a pure perceptual sensation. This has been studied in tactile-emotion synesthesia (e.g., feeling sandpaper evokes a feeling of jealousy; Ramachandran and Brang, 2008). Synesthetic associations, like misophonic experiences, are automatic (in the sense that they do not take effort or conscious deliberation), are consistent within an individual and persist throughout life, and seem to run in families (Asher et al., 2009; Tomson et al., 2011; for a review see Brang and Ramachandran, 2011). Given these similarities, neuroimaging findings in synesthetes may provide us with hypotheses on the neural basis of misophonia. First, associated sensations in synesthesia are found to be associated with co-activation in relevant (associated) brain areas (Nunn et al., 2002; Hubbard et al., 2005; Rouw et al., 2011). Furthermore, previous studies support a direct linking of relevant sensory regions in synesthesia (Hubbard and Ramachandran, 2001), mediated by an actual increase of anatomical connectivity (Rouw and Scholte, 2007; Zamm et al., 2013). Similarly, altered connections from a lesioned thalamus to the cerebral cortex (Ro et al., 2007; Beauchamp and Ro, 2008) led to a type of acquired synesthesia in which auditory stimuli produced tactile percepts. Differing in the level of specificity and complexity of evoked responses observed in synesthetes, individuals with misophonia display basic and non-elaborated responses to triggering stimuli, varying largely in the intensity of the response. Nevertheless, the underlying neurological cause of this condition may be similar to that of synesthesia in terms of enhanced connectivity between relevant brain regions. In short, a pathological distortion of connections between the auditory cortex and limbic structures could cause a form of sound-emotion synesthesia.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 2:00 pm

I have indeed, especially in childhood, had sounds that, while I couldn't say I SAW particular colors or sensed something else other than hearing, I would vividly imagine particular colors with particular sounds. Not sure if I should count that as synesthesia...

Speaking of which, sounds (and looks lol) to me like a little synesthesia with music would be an awesome thing! I can just imagine: seeing colors related to the mood of the notes.

AQ: 33

Richard08
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2013, 3:29 am

Thank you for that information, can I have the original link please?

Has there been further study extending past the point of a hypothesis to connect the two?

Although for many years I have read and heard this statement, I have not seen a solid connection. (I am happy to be proven wrong on any of this however as I would love a clear connection to be made). Statements such as this are the first step towards research into what the condition is and what it isnt which will bring us one step closer to a solid cure. But I have also seen arguments for there being a connection for bipolar, add, ocd, or psychotic episodes, others say that there is a clear connection between PTSD or the food we are eating or that it is just a learned behavior.

I encourage as many different minds and appraoches to the subject as possible as I strongly believe the more people we have working on this the better the chance of finding a cure. I like so many others am over the condition and the constrains it brings.

Richard
Misophonia Online
www misophonia com