Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2014, 3:11 am

Hey, I was watching a film the other night and in the movie it brought up a conversation of depressives, meaning people who would rather stay depressed because being happy is too weird for them, I feel I am a depressive, unless I go manic. I would just like to discuss this, anybody?

HobbesMom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2014, 3:31 am

I actually understand that! I've been depressed for so long that I would have no idea how to be happy. It would feel fake. AND... I would not trust it to last. That's the thing......it comes and goes. The depression always feels worse after I've had a few good days...

Aspie Quiz score: 174/200
Special interests: reading, knitting, pets

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 4:53 am

I've experienced both severe depression and severe anxiety before, and honestly, I would much rather be depressed than anxious. It's easier to cheer up from being depressed than it is to wind down from being anxious. I don't really mind superficial happiness, as long as I don't dwell on it and drag myself back down into depression, or get all wound up trying to find ways to make it "not superficial".

What I don't get are people who wake up feeling happy, go to bed feeling happy, and are generally happy in their day to day lives. How can they do that? How is that even possible? Don't they realize that the world is a sh***y, f**ked-up place? How do they remain so blissfully ignorant? How do they just not care? Every person I've ever asked about this has given me some BS about how I just need to "relax" or "cheer up" or something. For f**k sakes, how do I even do those things in the first place?

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2014, 11:47 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
...Don't they realize that the world is a sh***y, f****-up place? How do they remain so blissfully ignorant? How do they just not care? Every person I've ever asked about this has given me some BS about how I just need to "relax" or "cheer up" or something. For f**k sakes, how do I even do those things in the first place?

they are probably experiencing a mild collective mania, which makes you happy and positive. With Aspergers as well I look at things in black and white, so if I was even a tad manic I'd be happy and if anyone asked I'd probably say something simple to like "relax" or "cheer up"....I seen things simply, life is easier even though it gets hectic I can compartmentalise the crap and push it out of my mind so it doesnt effect me...MAYBE (maybe) losing the ego helps start this process too, as I heard that bipolar and mania is a bleeding process for your emotions, you must bleed a little till your pathology is cleared.

jAlw
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2014, 12:34 pm

I get depressed often,that's a good way to describe it, being happy seems like a vulnerable state when the other is frequent.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 2:49 pm

I don't know if I can simplify things that much with me...its not so much that I would rather stay depressed because being happy is too weird. Its more I've had ongoing depression issues from an early age, I don't really know what it feels like to be 'happy' so its more not knowing what that is so hard for me to make it a goal to be 'happy'. I know how it feels to be somewhat managing my depression, anxiety and PTSD issues or how it is when those aren't acting up so much and I can honestly say I am ok, maybe even moderately content.

Closest thing to 'happiness' I've probably experienced is drug induced euphoria.....or sometimes when I've gotten in the mood to turn on loud music and headbang and what not to it like crazy can sort of create an actual intense somewhat 'happy' feeling I guess but that might more just be getting excited which can resemble joy? meh I don't know.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 7:03 pm

kaiouti wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
...Don't they realize that the world is a sh***y, f****-up place? How do they remain so blissfully ignorant? How do they just not care? Every person I've ever asked about this has given me some BS about how I just need to "relax" or "cheer up" or something. For f**k sakes, how do I even do those things in the first place?

they are probably experiencing a mild collective mania, which makes you happy and positive. With Aspergers as well I look at things in black and white, so if I was even a tad manic I'd be happy and if anyone asked I'd probably say something simple to like "relax" or "cheer up"....I seen things simply, life is easier even though it gets hectic I can compartmentalise the crap and push it out of my mind so it doesnt effect me...MAYBE (maybe) losing the ego helps start this process too, as I heard that bipolar and mania is a bleeding process for your emotions, you must bleed a little till your pathology is cleared.

I'm an aspie as well, though I don't have an easy time compartmentalizing things. If anything, I feel like life and the world are too big for me to comprehend, too much to process. I can't organize things unless I can comprehend and understand the scope of them. To give analogy, it's like when I clean my room; there's so much stuff scattered around, so many little things to deal with, that I have a hard time knowing where to even begin, or how I'm going to take care of all of it. Usually I'll start on it, then get hung up on some little thing a third of the way through, and just give up.

ebullient
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2014, 9:07 pm

Hm.
Good question. I get pretty mysanthropic, and sometimes I wonder if that is my depression ultimately?
I don't know. Depression gets wicked painful.

I am mixed so I am sitting here struggling to decide.
But yeah, if I can ever get a 'hypo' depression, it is by far my favorite.

Do you guys ever wonder what normal people feel?