Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

VagabondAstronomer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2015, 11:42 am

I am in the midst of fighting some of the worst depression I've had. I've been suffering from depression most of my life, but the first real diagnosis was when I was 15. I'm much, much older, and have been through much. But right now, I feel like I don't even want to get out of bed.
One of the things that is making me so miserable is that my ex-girlfriend is holding the lion's share of my personal belongings, including a car, hostage. She has even gone so far as to say that it's all hers (far, far from the truth). Thousands of dollars worth of books, tools, unbuilt (and rare) model kits, even my old Volvo that she allowed to get damaged. She will not return any attempt to contact her.
Currently, I am living with my parents. I have been unable to work for almost three years, and moved in with them two years ago. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement; I help my nearly blind father around as needed, help my mother maintain the household, and run errands. Both of my parents see how this is eating me up, and my father especially says that I should just let it go. But every day, or especially when I am working on something, I realize that I can't do certain things because the things I need to do them are simply not here. It is not as if I can go out and simply replace some of these things that easily. I should just let it go (though the car is going to be a problem), but I can't.
And that's already on top of the other things I am going through. I had hit rock bottom before this happened. My relationship was with someone who was a superb manipulator and something of a con artist. She was verbally abusive, a heavy drinker, and put us into a situation that was really, really bad. My problems have gotten to the point where I can't work, and I am going round in circles trying to get help for it. And it's just not there, it seems. Not without lots and lots of money.
And I am so tired of it all.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm

As you have no permanent fixed address of your own, you are technically homeless. Go the nearest Mental Health Clinic, or Counseling Center and ask to see a therapist - inquire about a "Title 20" slot - there may be a waiting list. Find a no-win, no-fee Disability lawyer and file for SSDI. You already have your AS diagnosis, but a statement from a therapist familiar with your case will go a long way in getting your SSDI approved. It could take a year or more, but in the end it will give you some stability and at least minimal independence.

I've been reading about studies in which Tumeric has actually proven to be as effective or even more effective than pharmaceutical SSRIs in treating and controlling depression. Its available online in capsules. I started it a few days ago, but I think its too soon to try to make any assessment. Psilocybin mushrooms are also known to control symptoms of chronic depression for up to two years after ingestion, but you can't legally buy those.

Chamomile and Valerian are both effective for dealing with anxiety, both also available in capsule form, or you can get chamomile in tea bags, but make it really strong.

I know the loss of your things must be an immense stressor, it's easy for NT types to throw out those empty cliches like "just let it go," but they can't comprehend the autistic dependence on order and consistency. When one thing in your routine or environment changes, it can be stressful, when everything turns upside down at once, the chaos and anxiety goes off the scale and buries the needle - it becomes a physical pain, as though someone had reached into your solar plexus and snatched out a large chunk of your soul.

The only thing I can recommend to heal that is to start building new routines. If there are tools and things you need that were among your old possessions, try to focus on making a list of the things you need and beginning the process of acquiring new ones. Focus on moving forward, even if its in small increments, and eventually the old things will lose their importance as you replace them with new collections.

Just be glad you got that toxic con artist out of your life. Consider the stuff you lost the price of your freedom, and work on starting a new phase of your life.

VagabondAstronomer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2015, 1:15 pm

will@rd wrote:
Just be glad you got that toxic con artist out of your life. Consider the stuff you lost the price of your freedom, and work on starting a new phase of your life.

Thank you for the response. You understand, and I appreciate that.
There is a clinic not too far from here, but they are first come, first serve. I already have a county health card, so I can be seen for my other problems (which are many). But I need to get to the behavioral clinic first thing in the morning to be get into the process. It's a start.
As is, the nearest place where someone can get support for ASD as an adult is three counties away, at a state university. I live on the edge of the sticks, north of a large city that should have more things for people like myself, but does not. Besides, I'm in another country, and sadly that's how things are apparently being run in my state these days, on a county per county basis.
Thank you again.