Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2023, 11:49 pm

I've found a way to frame my BPD battles. It's based on a video game series I love, but also mirrors the therapy concept of "inner child".

The video game series is Persona, which is based on the "shadow self" philosophy. The particular elements I'm borrowing are from Persona 4, which handles the concept as your shadow self going berserk and attempting to murder you.... accepting the shadow self as a part of you turns it into a "persona", which is a power that lets you navigate life. In-game, the shadows represent the neglected parts of that person - the stuff they hide deep down and don't wish to let other people see.

I am thinking of my BPD as my shadow. Instead of fighting my shadow, I am sitting with my shadow. Letting my shadow vent. Letting my shadow heal. Letting my shadow become my strength instead of my weakness.

I was able to stop an episode with this, last night.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 2:59 am

colliegrace wrote:
I've found a way to frame my BPD battles. It's based on a video game series I love, but also mirrors the therapy concept of "inner child".

The video game series is Persona, which is based on the "shadow self" philosophy. The particular elements I'm borrowing are from Persona 4, which handles the concept as your shadow self going berserk and attempting to murder you.... accepting the shadow self as a part of you turns it into a "persona", which is a power that lets you navigate life. In-game, the shadows represent the neglected parts of that person - the stuff they hide deep down and don't wish to let other people see.

I am thinking of my BPD as my shadow. Instead of fighting my shadow, I am sitting with my shadow. Letting my shadow vent. Letting my shadow heal. Letting my shadow become my strength instead of my weakness.

I was able to stop an episode with this, last night.

I mean I guess the important thing is if you are able to handle that. I don't have bpd but I have autism and PTSD which can be rough and there are times I have to take charge and just not think too long on it. Cause little things will bring up memories and that can be hard to navigate, but somehow I always find a way. And Idk that PTSD person is still me, but just me having a hard time dealing with what happened, but it is still a part of me so I cannot just reject and run away from that piece of myself. Though I have tried to do so in the past...but you can't just run away from PTSD(makes it worse and more long lasting). I figure with BDP you probably cannot just walk away from it either. Idk sucks to have a disorder that makes you seem crazy to other people.

I guess I wouldn't mind chilling with may shadow, but just not sure it would sit and chill or if it would cause chaos.