Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 4:35 pm

I know this is probably my OCD.

I unwrapped a piece of hard candy that came in a bag that contained multiple pieces.

It is a lot smaller than the other pieces. It looks like someone in the factory as a joke sucked on the candy until half of it was left, wrapped it again, then put it back into
the production line.

I am a germaphobe so I threw out the candy.

I know it most likely was a production error, but I can't get the other explanation out of my mind.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

Once the thought was planted in my head I would have done the same.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 5:15 pm

hyksos55 wrote:

But would your mind have thought it?

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm

KevinLA wrote:
hyksos55 wrote:

But would your mind have thought it?

Perhaps, I do think like that. Example at work in the break room I never take the top paper plate because a bug could have crawl across it. I never leave my beverage unsupervised because I am afraid someone might put something in it.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 5:55 pm

Nope, but I have no OCD, that could explain it.
Sounds like an OCD-germaphobia combination to me.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:30 pm

I've never been a germaphobe but I do have OCD. My obsessive worries have been more unlikely than the one you just mentioned.

I heard someone mention that sometimes obsessive worries can often be of similar content to common paranoias from other disorders.

A person with a psychotic disorder might genuinely believe people are reading his/her mind.

A person with OCD like myself might worry about it and not be able to stop thinking about the possibility even with the insight to know it's unlikely. It's possible and the 0.001% possibility is the issue.

FYI, I have worried about that in an obsessive compulsive way. It was actually funny what my "just in case" precaution was. Yours was to not eat the candy. I don't even want to mention mine because I'm quite self-conscious. Okay I'll say it. I just kept thinking of a song.

I've also worried about a tornado destroying my house. I've worried about someone showing up to see me doing something embarrassing that I do alone.

Companion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2013, 10:24 pm

Sounds like OCD to me, and I know OCD.