Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 3:01 am

Ok I have not posted here yet but recently I started thinking about how straight I really am...and thus far I feel like I cannot come to a definate conclusion. Basically though what I can say is I am physically female but according to conversations I have heard and random things I have heard I have more of a male brain. I personally have no real issue with this, its just how I have always been.

But society seems to think i should not dress like a male or act like one, however my mental state has tended to be more male like. A lot of females are better at expressing emotions than males, but I have always suppressed a lot of things and when it comes out people treat it as temporary 'time of the month crap and attitude issues' But I don't really feel like that is what I am feeling.......sometimes I get very angry and want to destroy things and I realise this is a rather small issue amoung the straight female population but I tend to relate better to advice directed at males than advice directed at females.......Maybe I am just a bit paranoid but I feel like discrimination towards gay and transgender people has increased so I am kind of afraid to admit how I feel. about it.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2011, 3:57 am

My OH has been told she has a 'male brain'. When her school tried to push girls into secretarial work or hairdressing, she announced she was going to work in industrial chemistry instead! Her idea of the perfect shop is a D i Y Superstore: her idea of hell is an office full of gossiping women! Psychs are fascinated that in all her dreams she is male not female!

She has no 'problem' with being female, though: if other women think she is 'unfeminine', that is their problem! So don't let anybody push you into any kind of identity with which you are uncomfortable: in particular, don't worry about being 'a female with a male brain'!

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2011, 8:12 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ok I have not posted here yet but recently I started thinking about how straight I really am...and thus far I feel like I cannot come to a definate conclusion. Basically though what I can say is I am physically female but according to conversations I have heard and random things I have heard I have more of a male brain. I personally have no real issue with this, its just how I have always been.

But society seems to think i should not dress like a male or act like one, however my mental state has tended to be more male like. A lot of females are better at expressing emotions than males, but I have always suppressed a lot of things and when it comes out people treat it as temporary 'time of the month crap and attitude issues' But I don't really feel like that is what I am feeling.......sometimes I get very angry and want to destroy things and I realise this is a rather small issue amoung the straight female population but I tend to relate better to advice directed at males than advice directed at females.......Maybe I am just a bit paranoid but I feel like discrimination towards gay and transgender people has increased so I am kind of afraid to admit how I feel. about it.

You have subjects going on in your post.
One is wondering how straight you are. There's nothing wrong in wondering about this. Take your time to work out your sexuality according to YOU. You don't have to tell anyone else about it, but you're always welcome to ask questions on here, judging by the answers I've received. I'll certainly help if I can. It took me long enough to work out my sexuality...
The second is how female/male your brain is. There's nothing wrong in wondering about this either. It's not an either/or matter; it's a point along a continuum. so if you feel happier with engineering than hairdressing that's OK. I have a straight, female cousin who's done a degree in aerospace engineering. Don't be pressured into a particular career path because it's "expected". Do what is right for you and you'll be happier in the long term.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2011, 6:16 pm

I am female-bodied, but I have always identified as male. I've always known that my body wasn't quite right, but it wasn't until I was done maturing (around 20-21) that I started really realizing the enormity of spending the rest of my life trapped in this hell of a body. I've identified as transgendered for the past 4 or 5 years, but I only recently started coming out to anyone other than my husband. I've always dressed male, had a short haircut, no makeup, etc...so I don't see it being a huge shock to most people who know me. Still, I've been really stressed out and preoccupied lately, worrying a lot. I had no idea what coming out would feel like, but it's weird, at least to me.
I'm currently in counselling specifically for the gay/trans/bi community, but that's only because I'm at a life or death point in my journey.
My advice would be, do a lot of reading. Read about GID (gender identification disorder), transsexualism, and see if it feels comfortable. Also, feeling in between genders is not uncommon in people with Aspergers, or other forms of autism. I know on the women's board there are some postings about it.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

Quote:
A lot of females are better at expressing emotions than males, but I have always suppressed a lot of things and when it comes out people treat it as temporary 'time of the month crap and attitude issues' But I don't really feel like that is what I am feeling.....

I can really relate to that. I seem emotionally flat for ages and then I get moody or have a meltdown. I think it comes from repressing a lot of my emotions and not being able to describe them well.

As for wondering how straight you really are, I can relate to that. I've been wondering how much I really like men sexually, even though all my serious relationships (including my current one) have been with men. I do like men but I think I am more attracted to women.