Article mentions transgender-Asperger's link

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 3:30 pm

Twin Boys, One Transgender, Become Brother and Sister

On the second page a doctor (Spack) is quoted:

Several neurological studies from Europe show brain differences in transgender people, suggesting they may be "wired" differently. Spack said that he has noticed that about 10 percent of his patients display "something in the autistic spectrum, very mild, like Asperger's [syndrome]."

Not a brand new revelation, I've seen other people note a possible link, but I do think it's interesting.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 6:43 pm

purchase wrote:
Twin Boys, One Transgender, Become Brother and Sister

On the second page a doctor (Spack) is quoted:

Several neurological studies from Europe show brain differences in transgender people, suggesting they may be "wired" differently. Spack said that he has noticed that about 10 percent of his patients display "something in the autistic spectrum, very mild, like Asperger's [syndrome]."

Not a brand new revelation, I've seen other people note a possible link, but I do think it's interesting.

As I always say with stuff of this nature, Correlations are just that Correllations, They don't necessarily mean anything, even though some of them are interesting.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

cthulhureqiuem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2012, 4:59 am

ahhh but a correlation does imply an interesting field of research just waiting to be jumped into!

Jadefire
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Feb 2012, 12:36 am

The news likes to connect autism with pretty much everything. I wouldn't give it much heavy thought for the time being.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

I've heard about this but I have also heard some pretty insulting theories. I read an excerpt from Elizabeth Henault's book regarding asperger's and sexuality and her explanation was condescending.

Elizabeth Henault, of all people, a person who makes a living by researching asperger's syndrome said that transgenderism is common among aspies who are less aware of social sexual norms.

That's one explanation for a possible correlation that I just don't like at all. If I didn't understand gender roles I wouldn't be so anxious and I'd probably just do whatever the hell I want.

Some people think the correlation between gender variance and asperger's syndrome is simply a result of poor social awareness. I don't care because it doesn't help anybody and it also distorts things.

If you fall anywhere under the transgender umbrella asperger's shouldn't complicate things more than it has to. Why add to the mess?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 8:23 pm

I'm transgendered and DXed as Aspergers.

It didn't/doesn't help me be "less anxious." I was unaware of gender roles for a significant chunk of my childhood.

I find it amusing how some people are so opposed to transgenderism having anything to do with ASDs.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

MissUniform619
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2012, 4:05 pm

I actually have come across this same topic repeatedly in my research!

If you are interested, see

Mukaddes, N. M. (2002). Gender identity problems in autistic children. Child: Care, Health & Development, 28(6), 529-532. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2214.2002.00301.x

Kraemer, B. , Delsignore, A. , Gundelfinger, R. , Schnyder, U. , & Hepp, U. (2005). Comorbidity of asperger syndrome and gender identity disorder. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 14(5), 292-296.

Robinow, O. (2009). Paraphilia and transgenderism: A connection with asperger's disorder?. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 24(2), 143-151.

Female-to-male transsexual people have more autistic traits. (2011). Mental Health Weekly Digest, 36-71.