Does science know what causes homosexuality yet?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:05 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
MXH wrote:
I just noticed my post said should when i meant shouldnt. So let me clear myself out before someone burns an effigy of me. I dont understand the need to find out what causes X or Y. Be it gay or autism or whatever you want. I dont understand why people must go and try to justify that which they dont like instead of just moving on with their own lives.

In some cases it is legitimate scientific curiosity. I wouldn't mind knowing the cause of my AS and my being gay simply for the sake of knowing.

See, I don't get what MHX is talking about. Most of the people that dislike these two things don't bother with asking what causes it, unless they're in it for an arguement. The people who genuinely wonder do so out of a curiosity about what makes us tick. Is it wrong to be curious? We study the scientific principals behind everything else- why not ourselves?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 6:59 pm

it's not the curiosity that is offputting to me. it is the starting point of assumption that homosexuality is an aberration from the norm.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:39 pm

That wasn't my intention. I don't think it read like that. :?

Maybe I could have asked if we're any closer to know what scientifically causes our differences in sexual orientation.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 7:39 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
That wasn't my intention. I don't think it read like that. :?

Maybe I could have asked if we're any closer to know what scientifically causes our differences in sexual orientation.

:)
i like it like that! i perfectly agree.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

I tend to reject the notion of learned behaviour--at least partially. There appear to be observable, anatomical differences between heterosexual male and homosexual male brains. While I don't believe that these are entirely deterministic of sexual orientation, I do believe that these could not arise as a result of learned behaviour.

My preferred theory (and it is a preference only, I don't have empirical evidence to back this up) is that environmental issues in utero have an impact on foetal development which creates differences in brain structure. These structures create the potential for differences in sexual orientation that are then reinforced or mitigated by post-natal environmental factors.

But this provides us with no understanding of bisexuality or lesbianism. But I'm not expecting a "Grand Unified Theory" of queerness, anyway.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 2:02 pm

visagrunt wrote:
But I'm not expecting a "Grand Unified Theory" of queerness, anyway.

And that is why I like physics so much better than biology...

@hyperlexian: When I wonder what the cause of homosexuality is I'm not saying that it is an abberation from the norm. I am simply asking what is anatomically, hormonally, or psychologically different between a homosexual and a heterosexual. If we find the cause of homosexuality then I think it is reasonable to assume that we'd also find the reason for heterosexuality--the two would go hand in hand.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2012, 2:18 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
But I'm not expecting a "Grand Unified Theory" of queerness, anyway.

And that is why I like physics so much better than biology...

@hyperlexian: When I wonder what the cause of homosexuality is I'm not saying that it is an abberation from the norm. I am simply asking what is anatomically, hormonally, or psychologically different between a homosexual and a heterosexual. If we find the cause of homosexuality then I think it is reasonable to assume that we'd also find the reason for heterosexuality--the two would go hand in hand.

i get what you are saying, but the language in this discourse largely places homosexuality as the aberrant condition that should be studied. i don't buy into that. it makes more sense to study all of the variations for answers.

what i mean is that.... if we have a starting point asking, "what causes some humans to be female", the language points to the female gender being an aberration of the default maleness. that sounds ridiculous to me (probably to most people), and i feel the same way about considering homosexuality to be an aberration by default.

i think that the way our society views these subjects colours the approach of research and policy-making.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 3:15 am

I blame my mother.

But in all seriousness, I expect it's more that just one thing that causes homosexual desires. I think it is a mixture of genetics, experience, and hormones. Though I expect experience to be a minor cause.