Are objectum romantics part of the lgbtq community?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Luketheobjectumromantic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2024, 7:22 pm

Hi!
My name is Luke! I own a very rare misato 1997 Takara Tomy doll from Japan and she’s my girlfriend (I’m an objectum romantic). I was wondering if objectums are welcome in the lgbtq community.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2024, 7:26 pm

"Object sexuality or Objectophilia is a group of paraphilias characterized by sexual or romantic attraction focused on particular inanimate objects.  Individuals with this attraction may have strong feelings of love and commitment to certain items or structures of their fixation.  Some do not desire sexual or close emotional relationships with humans." -- Wikipedia

Luketheobjectumromantic wrote:
Are objectum romantics part of the lgbtq community?

Perhaps part of the 'Q' or 'Q+' community . . . ?

The only "genderizations" (if they can be called that) not welcome here (AFAIK) are pedophilia, necrophilia, and rape.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 5:23 pm

So, the Ancient Greeks believed that there were around seven or eight types of love.

Eros (Sexual / Physical attraction)
Philia (Deep Friendship)
Ludus (Playful Love)
Agape (Love for everyone)
Pragma (Longstanding love)
Storge (Love of family / emotional connection to family)
And Mania (obsessive love)

Now, Sexual Orientations typically describe someone's Eros or lack thereof. An attraction to the opposite sex, the same sex, both or neither. In certain languages, the concept of asexuality translates to immune to physical attraction and I think that's kind of neat.

Philia has changed a lot in meaning over time. It used to mean deep friendship but it is now used as a suffix to mean an intense and unusual interest or obsession with something. This can range from being a big fan of books (a Bibliophile) or an Objectophile like the OP. It does unfortunately include concepts such as Pedophilia and Necrophilia which are obviously not a part of the LGBT community.

Now, Philias in general are not considered to be a part of the LGBT acronym. Language wise they're considered closer to an intense interest / obsession rather than an orientation.

You could argue that certain Philias could be considered queer since queer is a fairly open-ended term. It's a bit like how there are a fair amount of arguments about what is and isn't neurodiverse. It really depends on how you define it.

Further, you could argue that instead of philia it is a form of romantic attraction. There is the split-attraction model that some people use where their sexual attraction might not line up with their romantic interests. Some asexuals might not want to have sex, but they are still interested in romance. So, a heteroromantic for example would want to date people of the opposite sex but may not want to have sex with them.

However, personally I don't think the romantic suffix quite works when applied to inanimate objects and I would argue that it is closer to a philia rather than an orientation.

TL;DR: It's complicated but essentially Objectophilia is N / A to LGBT since it is a philia rather than a sexual orientation or gender identity.