Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 8:38 pm

As far as the super-hero comic books go , what do you think of Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA ?
Perhaps the whole concept seems a bit US-chauvanistic/" who cares ? " to non-Americans...Uuummm , fair enough , I guess .
I have generally tended to like him , and read him a fair amount .
At present , in the main Captain America comic , he'd dead - Yaaawwwnnnnnn :P :lol: - and has been replaced by the de-frozen , grown up to twentysomethingish , modern-day version of ( uh huh ) the original Bucky .
I got a new one-shot Cap comic , set in WWII , with Stever Rogers , the real Cap , plus a reprinted Simon & Kirby Golden Age story , to-day .
Once , as a kid , I dressed up as Captain America for Halloween .

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 8:50 pm

I'm not really into comic books - but in addition to Captain America, I also love Superman and Wonderwoman - because of their American political idealism.

Not many "American" icons tickle my schnickle like they do...

USA! USA! USA! :wink:

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 8:00 am

i switched through the tv channels one night, and stopped at a movie about captain america. i didnt know it existed, and it was in the middle of the movie, and i could never quite make out wether the movie was supposed to feel like a parody or not, because it was very weird.

he had a very obvious full-of-self attitude and stuff. otherwise, i dont know the character very well. when i was a kid, some neighbors had captain america bedsheets, and i was endlessly fascinated w the design of his shield :]

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 9:46 am

As with everything else, my mind turns back to Rock and Roll.

Kind of a cool video some guy made - keep your eye out for the bizarre WTF Bernie Madoff shot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF4sPde785E[/youtube]

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 12:26 pm

No, the Captain America movie wasn't actually a parody - it was just that badly made, in a vein similar to the Thor movie or the Roger Corman Fantastic Four flick back in the day. Nobody took comic-book movies seriously then. It wasn't until Tim Burton's Batman, in fact, that Hollywood began to pay attention to the fact that comics had moved on since the biff-bam-pow days, and had come to embrace such fare as Maus, The Dark Knight Returns, and Watchmen.

I was never that big a fan of the Captain America title, although some of his crossovers with other titles were kind of cool, especially when they'd play on the fact that he was a man out of time, frozen at the end of WWII and not thawed out until the post-Vietnam era (yes, I know in the original idea he was thawed out sometime in the mid-'60s, but Marvel's timeline has always been kind of plastic - that's why none of the X-Men are eligible for Medicare yet).