Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 17 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 31  Next

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 6:54 pm

Eva Cassidy was an Aspie after reading so much about her...mark my words!! :)

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

peaceloveerin wrote:

No, she didn't.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 7:43 pm

Delirium wrote:
peaceloveerin wrote:

No, she didn't.

So you say! :roll:

Dingus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2011, 7:35 pm

Aaaaargh there's too much speculation on this thread and
its so frustrating. The whole 'could have' is annoying.
It's too easy to say
"PERSON for sure is an aspie because they do this/do that/act like this/did this/etc etc etc"
Of course a known confirmed list would be great to read,
but unfortunately(?) lots of diagnosed aspies are not all
that keen to tell people they've been diagnosed with asperger's.

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2011, 8:22 pm

Syd Barrett, Kurt Cobain, Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Daniel Johnston all show/have shown signs of AS. I also think John Lydon, Sid Vicious, Jah Wobble and Shane MacGowan might be on the spectrum.

I would also nominate Aphex Twin (Richard D James) and Dubstep musicians Burial, Skream and Benga. Burial is a recluse and refuses to be photographed and his music sounds very aspergian. Skream (Ollie Jones) always has a faraway look in his eye! he doesn't seem stoned or drunk, he just has a vaguely autistic stare. Benga has apparently produced a track almost every day for the past 13 years.

This is all just speculation by the way- don't take it too seriously

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:37 pm

TellEmSteveDave wrote:
Syd Barrett, Kurt Cobain, Bob Dylan, John Lennon and Daniel Johnston all show/have shown signs of AS. I also think John Lydon, Sid Vicious, Jah Wobble and Shane MacGowan might be on the spectrum.

Almost all of those people are drug addicts/alcoholics. That woud be a more likely explanation for erratic behavior.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2011, 3:47 pm

Delirium wrote:
TellEmSteveDave wrote:

Almost all of those people are drug addicts/alcoholics. That woud be a more likely explanation for erratic behavior.

It's also possible that the drug/alcohol use was a form of self medicating to try and get away from feeling alienated from society.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2011, 11:23 pm

ictus75 wrote:
Delirium wrote:
TellEmSteveDave wrote:

It's also possible that the drug/alcohol use was a form of self medicating to try and get away from feeling alienated from society.

Bob Dylan definitely.

Dingus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Nov 2011, 9:54 pm

Delirium wrote:
TellEmSteveDave wrote:

Daniel Johnston has been diagnosed with both bipolar and schizophrenia.
And yep, I believe that drugs/alcohol play a huge part in many musicians/artists work that some would speculate as having asperger's too.

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2011, 2:25 am

Bill Frisell

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvW6H4iPeeo[/youtube]

He jumps from idea to idea to idea mid-sentence for an hour. Mentions being "fascinated" with guitar from an early age. Most of the other obvious traits as well in the vid.

Dingus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2011, 6:15 pm

NOC3 wrote:
Bill Frisell

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvW6H4iPeeo[/youtube]

He jumps from idea to idea to idea mid-sentence for an hour. Mentions being "fascinated" with guitar from an early age. Most of the other obvious traits as well in the vid.

Thanks for posting that Frisell vid. Closely related, a few friends of mine seem to think that Fred Frith has Asperger's too.

Wolfmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2011, 2:39 pm

Me, haha

Dingus
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2011, 10:32 pm

Wolfmaster wrote:
Me, haha

lol

same

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:13 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gEfs8WIsg8[/youtube]
I'd have to say Ryuichi Sakamoto, it's been speculated by fans, etc. I'd say in his music and mannerisms in interviewing, it wouldn't surprise me.

His music when he was younger, used to be like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB0cwq-C77g[/youtube]
That song is my username, haha. At the same time, on the same album (he originally made this song solo, then recorded it with Yellow Magic Orchestra later,) he was making his own like, classical style compositions. Whatever Sakamoto is, he's definitely not "normal" but God's blessed him tremendously regardless. Go Ryuichi!

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 1:03 pm

They said that Elvis Presley had it.

trollcat
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Nov 2011, 1:49 pm

I was wondering about David Byrne - and did a search that lead me to another WrongPlanet discussion that confirms it. But he also says he "grew out of it".