Do people with Aspeger's listen to old music?

Page 3 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2015, 9:50 am

I listen to a lot of old music but i don't know if its because i have Asperger's. I mostly listen to old school rap and classic jazz. I also enjoy the Beatles and the rolling stones.

Aspiringeccentric
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2015, 11:04 am

I listen to a lot of music from various different eras and genres. I will mostly listen to anything that is not overly played or popular, and rather like music that has been popular only in the past or music that is current and not in the mainstream. For instance, I could listen to Dave Brubeck (jazz) one hour and jump to Neon Indian another and maybe a little Pearl Jam or Sound Garden the next. All depending on my mood of course.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 12:46 pm

I like listening to the organ stylings of fats waller and count basie :dj:

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2015, 11:38 pm

Most of my pop music listening is from the 1960s-1990s. I cannot stand rap music, I cannot stand Nikki Minaj, I cannot stand Katy Perry most of the time, and I cannot stand Iggy Azalea. I really enjoy people/bands like Phil Collins, Boz Scaggs, Billy Joel, Elton John, Foreigner, Prince, Sade, Al Jarreau, Van Morrison, the Beatles, etc.
When it comes to country music, that is strictly 1980s through around 2004 or 2005. I cannot stand today's "country," what they try to call country but actually sounds like top 40 music mixed with hard rock, auto-tune and even rapping (just listen to Florida Georgia Line's "This is How We Roll"). Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Alabama, Trisha Yearwood, George Strait, Dwight Yoakam sometimes, Clint Black, etc etc. The 80s and 90s were the best decades for country/western music, in my opinion.
Again, like pop music, I cannot stand soft rock stations playing Meghan Trainor, Avicii, Katy Perry, Adele etc. 30 times a day. I really enjoy the soft rock music from the 70s-90s. That was back when soft rock stations were ACTUALLY escapes from the pop and hard rock.
As for my favorite genre, smooth jazz, it doesn't matter. An 80s cut from David Sanborn, a 90s Lee Ritenour guitar solo, a 2000s Dave Koz piece. As long as it sounds relaxing and groovy, I enjoy it. Smooth vocals are also good, mainly folks like Sade, Anita Baker, Kenny Loggins, Incognito and Al Jarreau.

The types of music I listen to would fit a 60-year-old. But I'm 17. Reincarnation? We will never know. But what I know is that rap music is a button pusher for me. It's not music, it's just a guy talking really fast with an electronic beat under it, and most likely lots of auto-tune.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 11:40 pm

WAautisticguy wrote:
It's not music, it's just a guy talking really fast with an electronic beat under it, and most likely lots of auto-tune.

Why would rap need autotune at all? Rappers don't usually sing.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2015, 11:08 pm

Today's pop music is absolutely FULL of autotune. If I was a musician, there would be no reason for me to change my voice pitch.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 11:11 pm

I would like to see a trend away from the anapestic beat so common in today's music.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 3:37 pm

Indeed I do, much older than most my age as a matter of fact.

I like rock from the 50's to the 80's, classic and modern country, classical from Handel to music from the renaissance, and film scores and soundtracks. So yeah, I have very particular tastes in music, though I have 'slowly' been trying out some more modern rock.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:56 am

auntblabby wrote:
I would like to see a trend away from the anapestic beat so common in today's music.

Anapestic beat? The heck is that?

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2015, 9:46 am

I've been getting into early Moog synth music because I prefer the more atmospheric sound. Does electronic music these days have to be so bass-heavy?

Kate.com
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2015, 9:54 am

I listen to many types/eras of music. Of more recent 1970's is probably top

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 1:22 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Anapestic beat? The heck is that?

dr. john diamond MD wrote about it extensively, most notably in a book called "your body doesn't lie" about the dangers of pop music which used this beat, played at high volume for extended periods. for an aural example, recite a limerick, those are anapestic. applied to music, it is notable for the lack of a backbeat, especially in disco and techno and such. it is a rhythm that is antagonistic to the heart beat.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 1:53 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I listen to classic and music from 2000-2008, it makes me nostalgic, music nowadays is sh***y :eew:

lol...

Anyhow, in 2010, summer, I began looking for the precursors to the music I had enjoyed in the past (Green Day and Linkin Park, mainly) and found Deftones, Tool, Nine Inch nails, RATM, Faith No More and eventually Pantera/Death/Slayer/Metallica,etc. and then Atheist,Amon Amarth, Mastodon, Necrophagist, Meshuggah, etc.

And on punk side, Bad Religion, NOFX, Pennywise, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Fugazi, Rise Against (wince),*BAD BRAINS*, which lead me to classical and a little bit of jazz.

And a few rap artists I liked as well. Apathy, Eminem, Immortal Technique, Nas.

Far from classic music, but majority is 20+ years old.

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2015, 2:06 pm

I listen to a mix of 60s and 70s classic rock, some rock from the 90s and different types of meta, depending on my mood. I love guitar solos and people who can actually sing. Once in a while I'll listen to something random, usually when I need a good laugh.

ARMS
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2015, 2:24 pm

age is irrelevant. I'm 27 and listen from 60s to last week. Popularity seems to be more important. Pop music is designed and manufactured to appeal superficially to mass effect in population with little staying power. Lesser known artists have more to offer.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

I have. I listened to 80s and 90s music.