Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 12:52 am

Yuki Nagato is a fictional character from the Haruhi Suzumiya series. She is a humanoid interface created by a largely non-physical alien being which cannot communicate with humans itself for the purpose of observing Haruhi Suzumiya and given the ability to communicate with normal humans. She has very little emotional expression, but it's very likely she has real emotions and also real personal goals of her own. Her first name Yuki is a pun, in that it is both a girl's name and also the reading of the word for snow.

In one story, she was asked to write fantasy horror and I find it fascinating. This is someone with an unusual experience, which I identify with because of my own constant strong sense of alienation throughout my own life. This is from "Untitled1," a short story that she was asked to write within the story:

Quote:
It was X amount of time in the past when I met with a girl that said she was a ghost.

I asked for her name and she said, "I do not have one.

"Because I do not have a name, I am a ghost. You are the same."

That's right. I was a ghost.

"Well, then, let's go."

Her footfalls were light, almost as if they were alive.

"You can go anywhere you want.

"Where do you want to go?"

I thought about it. Where was I going to go? Where is here? Why am I here?

As I just stood there, I only looked into her black pupils.

"Weren't you thinking of going to X?"

As I heard those words, finally I knew my role.

That's right.

I decided to go there. Why did I forget that?

Such an important thing.

The meaning of my life, my existence.

"Well, then, that is enough. Goodbye."

She disappeared and left me. She went back to her place. And I to mine.

From the sky white things fell. Small things. Unstable things, water crystals.

It was one wonder that accumulated in the sky. In this world, wonders are common.

I stopped and stood. The flow of time became meaningless.

Like putting cotton together, one after another, after another, it continued to fall.

Let me make that my name. As I thought that, by that thought I ceased to be a ghost.

8O

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 3:42 am

This is an interesting one here, an extract from "Untitled2" by Yuki Nagato (within the story of course). I think this actually gives insight into her personal experience, and possibly a background on her experience:

Quote:
Until that time I was not alone.

There were many "I"'s. Among them "I" was also.

We who clung together like ice during that time widened like water and then all of a sudden like water vapor we diffused.

One molecule of that water vapor was I.

My interpretation is this: Yuki came to be in a hive mind, but she and the other "minds" came to develop individuality.

If you think about it, Yuki's initial expansive experience of there being many individuals and all of them being her is a way to experience being part of a hive mind where there is a loss of individuality, in contrast to the diminutive experience where you are nothing and are constantly intruded upon. Both experiences I think are possible in such a situation, where there is a loss of the most basic sense of self. In schizophrenia, such a loss of the most basic sense of self is said by some researchers to occur, in contrast to the higher level, more defensive level of experience involved in "mere" depersonalization, as Sass, et al. (2013), describe: "...(the very sense of existing as a distinct origin of awareness or perspective on the world)." This can manifest as, differently from depersonalization disorder (emphasis in original):

Quote:
a dislocation of first-person perspective such that self and other or self and world may seem to be non-distinguishable, or in which the individual self or field of consciousness takes on an inordinate significance in relation to the objective or intersubjective world.

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/webteam/gatewa ... df&site=42

You can see both the diminutive (difficulty telling the difference between self and others, feeling of being intruded on by others' ideas, etc.) and the expansive views in that description.

Now, at the end of her description of her origin, she says, "Among them 'I' was also." This could be a
sense of existing as a distinct origin of awareness or perspective on the world," which Sass, et al., describe as the most basic sense of self. Perhaps in a hive mind, you would still maintain that most basic sense of self, meaning your sense of self would still be stronger than that of a typical person with schizophrenia. Perhaps instead, however, Yuki is simply imposing her current experience of the most basic sense of self and that, initially, she possessed not even that.

As part of a hive mind, with no sense of self, you are a mind ticking away. You communicate with other minds directly, but with nothing hidden from each other and with all pushed toward the same goal, no distinctions between self and other are made. You see no difference between other minds and your own. You are all a team, nay, you are all one. You are all you!

These fantasy horror stories written by Yuki in the context of the series give some interesting insight into the experience of being a humanoid interference created by a disembodied intelligence with no way of contacting humans directly for the purposes of observation and communicating with humans via language. Such stories may also provide insight into some experiences of being human, especially in the radically dehumanizing experience of schizophrenia, which as mentioned in the Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience involves a kind of "de-subjectivizing" of the self; a tendency to view the self as radically different, like a robot or an alien; difficulty in constituting even the most basic sense of self; and a radical weakening of one's ego boundaries.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 11:49 pm

My initial reaction is of Yuki recounting her birth, describing the emptiness of what she was. If I had to guess the other "ghost" might be Asakura. And also mentions the snow, the first thing she starts to fill herself with getting the name "Yuki".