Page 3 of 29 [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2016, 6:18 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Whispers wrote:

But I really dislike unemotional music.

I think Kobain could carry devastating emotion with his voice, think "Rape me", "Heart Shaped Box" or "My Girl". Not pleasant emotions though and there was a lot of anger in his music.

Rape me is a good song too, it has this bitter taste. Still this apathy behind it, I can't explain it so well. But yes, it's great. The only one that really moves me inside is the one that I posted before, "You know you are right", which is amazing to me.
The other two you mentioned I think they are not even original songs, right?

But I'm very familiar with music without pleasant feelings in it, so that's not the problem!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHC-RyuqLDA

From childhood’s hour I have not been as others were—I have not seen as others saw—I could not bring my passions from a common spring— From the same source I have not taken my sorrow—I could not awaken my heart to joy at the same tone—
And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone.
E. A. Poe

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 6:30 pm

^
Good, I get what you're saying, well illustrated with the song.

When it comes to music and books I hate cosy and safe, I either go for crazy (including stark raving mad humour) to just stark raving mad or deep, visceral emotion.

I also enjoy hypnotic, oneiric with a hint of cerebral.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 6:34 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^

I also enjoy hypnotic, oneiric with a hint of cerebral.

In two words.

Pink Floyd

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 6:51 pm

You had to go there :) I particularly liked Syd Barrett. (Somewhat unrelated, my son is just plunging head first into Test Dept of all things)

Or something like this for instance
*damn it I have some link posting crisis, I'll have to postpone this*

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2016, 6:55 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
You had to go there :) I particularly liked Syd Barrett. (Somewhat unrelated, my son is just plunging head first into Test Dept of all things)

Or something like this for instance
*damn it I have some link posting crisis, I'll have to postpone this*

Link posting crisis, I didn't quite understand that lol.

But I know what you mean with visceral music, that's the point. Absolutely. I might be a bit dramatic myself, but that's how I am, and that sort of music makes me feel alive.

From childhood’s hour I have not been as others were—I have not seen as others saw—I could not bring my passions from a common spring— From the same source I have not taken my sorrow—I could not awaken my heart to joy at the same tone—
E. A. Poe

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

I so want to know the details of this 'link posting crisis'.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

Whispers wrote:
Link posting crisis, I didn't quite understand that lol.

QuillAlba wrote:
I so want to know the details of this 'link posting crisis'.

Damn kids :twisted:

Between buggarall YouTube, the crazy captcha on this site who asks me to swear I'm not a robot and identify pictures of palm trees and waffles, Captain Beefheart and the wife who asks if I want more wine, what is a body to do?

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:12 pm

Have more wine, of course.

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2016, 7:25 pm

*spanish red wine, cheers!*

Lol I know the palm-tree thing, I always copy the text now before I submit it, in case it gets lost (today it happened me twice with the same post!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZQ4ys9Xojw totally into painful music tonight, since I said it.

I never got into Pink Floyd, and then once I heard the song Marooned, and OH WOW I felt that guitar running all through my spine, so beautiful!! !

E. A. Poe

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
Have more wine, of course.

I say I should have it all, greedy bastard that I am :wink:

Something like this would go for oneiric and hypnotic too, sorry the song is in German, I can't find an appropriate one in English right now, maybe later (this is an English translation for anyone interested http://artists.letssingit.com/einsturzende-neubauten-lyrics-grundstuck-english-xwfzz94 )

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:40 pm

I think we may have derailed this thread...

cool song though.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:43 pm

Whispers wrote:
*spanish red wine, cheers!*

Italian red here, a nice bottle of Brunello. I've been blessed with a wife who's an expert in wine, fine food and making the kids disappear at the right time.

Yeah, sorry for derailing, I make 20 posts in a row once every 3 or 4 months

Cheers

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:45 pm

I think the derailment is a positive thing.

It can always be put back on track, as it were.

I'm on the Stella tonight, wine tastes like pee.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 9:49 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Wow! You may be the only person on here who likes more abrasive noise than I do! Good job! Don't like that at all, but good for you... I totally relate to the noise to everyone else thing however:

This is awesome s**t, right here. :D I'm not sure what genre it is, but I like it. I guess if I had to describe it, it would be like Atari Teenage Riot gone djent, but with metalcore vocals. Actually, thinking about it now this would fall under mathcore, but this is like heavier than any other mathcore I've heard before.

This is definitely mathcore. But Frontierer is just so in your face and vicious. But it still has a groove and thump amidst the chaos. Orange Mathematics may have been the best album of 2015 for me. I just came across these guys a month or two ago.

If you do like this I'd highly suggest The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (Danza III in particular) and Carbomb. (w^w^^w^w^ <--- the album title)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 3:22 pm

IMO, the 1980s was the decade of one-hit wonders.

Most music today is terrible! :x

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 3:34 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
There was a thread about unpopular political opinions, so I figured "why not do one about music? I have plenty of unpopular opinions on that."

Anyway, to kick things off, I must be one of the only people on Earth who like the production on Metallica's seminal album "...And Justice For All". Yes, there's virtually no bass guitar on it, yes it's quite cold and compressed sounding, and yes, the drums are probably a bit louder than they should be. However, the overall audio quality is actually quite crisp and clear to my ears, and the cold, clinical sound they gave it suits the bleak subject matter well. This isn't an album about banging your head or partying all night. No, it's about political corruption, the horror of war, nuclear winter, loss, and childhood trauma. It is a very dark album that touches on a number of sad things. A lot of people don't care for this kind of music, but I do. Why? Because it's real. If more people listened to this and took its subject matter to heart, maybe we would work harder at making the world a better place, and not making the same mistakes as our forefathers.

Just listen to this and tell me it's not beautiful.

Yes! :D My favorite Metallica album, and I love how it sounds. Image

There are versions on YouTube that increase the bass volume, but they sound awful to me. :thumbdown: