Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 8:50 pm

This thread needs some Falkenbach

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 2:51 am

And on the topic of Dynamic Range:

For some genres, a low dynamic range may be a part of the sound, but I find it ruins most music.

A lot of modern productions are over-compression their music, thus getting rid of ALL the dynamics, and making it sound so loud, the actual instruments and such sound distorted and damaged.

This has affected rock and metal negatively in modern albums, but the worst victims of it are pop music and electronic - the 'loudness wars' have KILLED electronic. If you dislike mainstream electronic, just know I do as well, as most of it is very poorly produced and puts emphasis on LOUDNESS over anything else.

It's all quantity now, not quality.

I avoid over-compressing my stuff in my own productions. The average electronic song I hear now, comes up with a dynamic range of about 4-6. A few retro classics from the '90s come up with anywhere from 8-12.

A recent song I completed? 16, so I must be doing something right.

Though some metal do use it for artistic purposes - overdriving the amp, etc. But this still does crush the dynamic range, causing a lack of variation in sound levels, something that causes listener fatigue.

Though most people don't usually notice when listening, music with higher dynamic ranges tends to simply sound more pleasant to most ears.

Some recent very successful songs with a decent amount of dynamic range are Get Lucky - Daft Punk and Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars.

Listen to these tracks again and you may be able to hear that they sound more 'dramatic', that's because they have more dynamic range.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 2:58 am

Outrider wrote:
And on the topic of Dynamic Range:

For some genres, a low dynamic range may be a part of the sound, but I find it ruins most music.

A lot of modern productions are over-compression their music, thus getting rid of ALL the dynamics, and making it sound so loud, the actual instruments and such sound distorted and damaged.

This has affected rock and metal negatively in modern albums, but the worst victims of it are pop music and electronic - the 'loudness wars' have KILLED electronic. If you dislike mainstream electronic, just know I do as well, as most of it is very poorly produced and puts emphasis on LOUDNESS over anything else.

It's all quantity now, not quality.

I avoid over-compressing my stuff in my own productions. The average electronic song I hear now, comes up with a dynamic range of about 4-6. A few retro classics from the '90s come up with anywhere from 8-12.

A recent song I completed? 16, so I must be doing something right.

Though some metal do use it for artistic purposes - overdriving the amp, etc. But this still does crush the dynamic range, causing a lack of variation in sound levels, something that causes listener fatigue.

Though most people don't usually notice when listening, music with higher dynamic ranges tends to simply sound more pleasant to most ears.

Some recent very successful songs with a decent amount of dynamic range are Get Lucky - Daft Punk and Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars.

Listen to these tracks again and you may be able to hear that they sound more 'dramatic', that's because they have more dynamic range.

Good explanation. And I agree, electronic music has probably been the biggest victim of the loudness war. It's a real shame, because synth music can be beautiful if you allow for some dynamic range. Just look at Aphex Twin, or Jean Michel Jarre, or early Depeche Mode.

Overcompression can work well though if you're looking for a dark, aggressive sound. I mean, I don't think Nine Inch Nails' Broken EP would have been nearly the same if they didn't distort the crap out of everything, particularly the guitars. I absolutely adore the guitar sound on that EP.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2016, 10:17 pm

I don't hate it, but I can't get into it. Especially because of the screaming or the guttural type singing. And I really don't like electric guitars.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 10:25 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I don't hate it, but I can't get into it. Especially because of the screaming or the guttural type singing. And I really don't like electric guitars.

Lol, no worries man, I think everybody understands just by your name.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:47 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:

There are plenty of metal bands out there that use clean, melodic vocals (Iron Maiden is a great example), but I'm not sure of any that use acoustic guitars. Acid Bath, normally a very harsh sounding band, have done a couple of ballads with clean vocals and undistorted guitars, those being "Dead Girl" and "The Bones of Baby Dolls". "Scream of the Butterfly" sort of fits too, as it has clean vocals and guitars, though it's actually pretty heavy and it even features double-kick drumming.

Scream of the Butterfly: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2q3nnm

Videos of their songs, at least the album versions, are hard to find on YouTube since their record label really, really likes taking them down.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 10:43 pm

Actually I like metal, rock, punk, thrash, etc guitar music.

In fact my favorite guitar veteran legend is Space Ace :)

But sadly because I cannot play the guitar :(

So I got more to non-guitar stuff..

Last edited by MannyBoo on 28 Feb 2016, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 10:44 pm

MannyBoo wrote:
Actually I like metal, rock, punk, thrash, etc guitar music.

But sadly because I cannot play the guitar :(

So I fell more to non-guitar stuff

To be frank, synthpop with early analog synths is music that I connect to most with. I just heard guitar sounds far too much that they no longer give me any experience as an analog synth would. I detest guitar music.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 11:10 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
zeertheseer wrote:
ok, I am sorry, this was my bad. I made a couple errors in my original statement. when I said I hate ALL metal. I specifically hate screamo. my whole point of not liking metal was more of the statement, I can't stand negativity. when I was twelve, all I ever did was complain. too hot, too cold. so bored, to busy. hate school, don't wanna be home. outside sucks. everyone hates me; things like that. as I aged I realized something interesting. I have always loved music, throughout everything. I noticed prolong listening to certain music made me feel a certain way. screamo hurt my ears so I never really listened to it unless I was forced to. I used to enjoy metal bands such as black sabbath and led zeppelin and such. but the music changed how I viewed the world around me. the music I listened to effected how I felt, what I did. so I decided to test this theory. and still do to see if its prevalent every now and again. I take two songs I enjoy, one that is upbeat but sad and as more of a "f**k you" aesthetic to it. and another that was just mindlessly positive; not that it was all lollipops and rainbows, but no complaining. and the first one I would question everyone motives. assume the worst of people. and always avoid the populace as a whole. however, with the second song, my outlook changed to almost the exact opposite; I assumed the bets of people, gave the benefit of the doubt, and while still somewhat guarded; I was more willing to be among the populace. I have always been greatly effected by music, perhaps that is why it is important I understand my influences. whats that phrase again I use to hear all the time by my imaginary friend? they are watching us, and soon watching won't be enough.

Interestingly, I actually hate overly positive music, because I find it to be annoying, and I hate having other people's happiness shoved in my face. I tend to prefer music that focuses on negative emotions like anger and suffering, since I can better relate to them.

Also, screamo is not metal. :P Sorry, it's just something that annoys me, when people call metal "screamo", because the two have nothing to do with one another.

Ughh not for me. If a song is depressing it makes upset and sad.

Songs like 'Look into my father's eyes' and 'Cats in the cradle' just make want to jump off a building.

Probably since my dad passed away :(

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

CausallyInverted
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Feb 2016, 7:58 am

What about instrumental metal bands like "Blotted Science". No vocals.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:43 pm