Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MrWalrus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2009, 5:10 pm

Hi is there anyone else who's into Indie & alternative music? I'd love to hear from you!

Some of my favorite bands;

Nirvana,
Pavement,
Sonic Youth,
Daniel Johnston,
Pixies,
Belle & Sebastian,
Bikini Kill,
Beat Happening,
The Raincoats,
Tullycraft,
Jeffrey Lewis,
Kimya Dawson/Moldy Peaches,
Dinosaur Jr.,
The Pains Of Being Pure @ Heart,
The Vaselines,
Eels

etc...

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 5:14 pm

This is my favorite music by a longshot.

I'm a huge fan of The Smiths and Blur, especially. I like newer bands like Los Campesinos!, Arcade Fire, Wilco and Phoenix (among several dozen others) as well. I also like quite a few of the bands MrWalrus mentioned.

my last.fm page for reference

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2009, 9:53 pm

I love Indie/Alternative. (Would Post-Rock and Experimental/Art-Rock fall into those categories?)
Radiohead and The Shins are some of my more accessible favourites, but I also love stuff like The Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree, which veer away from the more traditional classifications of genre.

asobi_seksu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2009, 6:53 pm

gah! 8O great bands mentioned!
my favourite genres of music are post punk and britpop.
some faves are Joy Division ,The Smiths, Bright Eyes, David Bowie ,Radiohead, Jeff Buckley ,Belle and Sebastian, Camera Obscura ,Blur, Björk, The Velvet Underground , The Divine Comedy, soft cell, Joanna newsom, Can , Pulp Manic Street Preachers,Sigur Rós ,orange juice
cocteau twins,the kinks,los campesinos, wilco and kings of connivence.

Italianwolf77
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 7:05 pm

I love Sonic Youth, they are one of my favorite bands. My other alternative/indie favorites are Dinosaur Jr, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, Queens of the Stone Age, and Foo Fighters.

MrWalrus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2009, 10:56 am

I love Joanna Newsom, especially the first album- but she hasnt done anything for years which is a shame- probably working on the next masterpiece! :D

MrWalrus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2009, 10:58 am

Italianwolf77 wrote:
I love Sonic Youth, they are one of my favorite bands. My other alternative/indie favorites are Dinosaur Jr, Radiohead, My Bloody Valentine, Queens of the Stone Age, and Foo Fighters.

wow, great choices sir!/madam 8O

OnlyaPhase
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2009, 2:13 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned the band blind melon. One of the most underrated bands as far as talent goes. A voice like an angel and every other band member brings something to the table, not just a bunch of hired hands. lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdXXgppVU4c[/youtube]

MrWalrus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2009, 2:37 pm

OnlyaPhase wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned the band blind melon. One of the most underrated bands as far as talent goes. A voice like an angel and every other band member brings something to the table, not just a bunch of hired hands. lol

I haven't heard Blind Melon before but really enjoyed that song! I like Bright Eyes, Joanna Newsom, Noah & The Whale etc. a lot of indie folk is awesome :D

OnlyaPhase
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2009, 3:41 pm

Yeah, blind melon never got too much regonizition, unfortunalty the lead singer had a early demise. But they were able to put out three record before then. The good do die young.

Mr. Walrus I would also recommend Mad Season, Lead Singer Layne Staley from Alice in Chains, Mike McCready the guitarist from Pearl Jam, they have a real bluesy feel to them, lotta emotion in their music.

Check out The Shake, I've heard a couple of songs, they are a throw back to the 60's and 70's rock, check out their song, Something Real.

Also if your into some Hendrix/Stevie Ray Blues, Check out Sky High, Clas Y. the guitarist and vocalist is legend.

The Wood Brothers are pretty good, alittle folksy lol, check out their song Postcards from Hell.

I'll just throw this out there but The Homemade Jamz Blues Band is genius, They are only kids but they play like naturals, the drummer is only 10 years old!

Oh Yeah, and Travis Meeks is a very good one man band. Acoustic Rock is where its at.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2009, 8:42 pm

im a fan of newer indie music but i love 90's alternative!! !! !! !! !!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 11:45 pm

After visiting a few sites, I found out that I like something called 'shoegaze' (WTF?...;) I did get on a 'C' kick on bands in the 90s
Curve
Collide
Cure
Cult
Connells (from my adopted residence of Raleigh...;)
Church

etc...;)

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2009, 1:33 pm

asobi_seksu wrote:
gah! 8O great bands mentioned!
my favourite genres of music are post punk and britpop.
some faves are Joy Division ,The Smiths, Bright Eyes, David Bowie ,Radiohead, Jeff Buckley ,Belle and Sebastian, Camera Obscura ,Blur, Björk, The Velvet Underground , The Divine Comedy, soft cell, Joanna newsom, Can , Pulp Manic Street Preachers,Sigur Rós ,orange juice
cocteau twins,the kinks,los campesinos, wilco and kings of connivence.

You are all kinds of awesome then!! Bands I like that you mentioned: Bright Eyes, David Bowie, Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, Belle and Sebastian, some Bjork, The Velvet Underground, Joanna Newsom, Wilco, Kings of Convenience, The Kinks (though I don't quite consider them indie...if they are then The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, and The Byrds qualify too)

I also like The Smiths and Joy Division but to me they're both gloomier and more claustrophobic-sounding than the other bands you mentioned. Soft Cell isn't the least bit indie to me (but that's 'cuz I've only heard "Tainted Love" - some of their lesser known material prob'ly has more of an indie sound idk..)

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2009, 1:35 pm

OnlyaPhase wrote:

Thanks to Music Choice's classic alternative channel (which debuted back in May) I now know 4 Blind Melon songs besides "No Rain" - "Tones of Home", "Galaxie", "Change", and their version of Schoolhouse Rock's "3 Is A Magic Number" :P They ARE pretty talented!!

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2009, 1:36 pm

MrWalrus wrote:
I love Joanna Newsom, especially the first album- but she hasnt done anything for years which is a shame- probably working on the next masterpiece! :D

Yay!! ! :D Joanna fans rock!! !

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 3:33 pm

MrWalrus wrote:
Hi is there anyone else who's into Indie & alternative music? I'd love to hear from you!

Some of my favorite bands;

Nirvana,
Pavement,
Sonic Youth,
Daniel Johnston,
Pixies,
Belle & Sebastian,
Bikini Kill,
Beat Happening,
The Raincoats,
Tullycraft,
Jeffrey Lewis,
Kimya Dawson/Moldy Peaches,
Dinosaur Jr.,
The Pains Of Being Pure @ Heart,
The Vaselines,
Eels

etc...

You have awesome taste. By the way Calvin Johnson ROCKS!.
PS...I have met alot of people on that list. Also no sleater-kinney or bratmobile?