What were the worst ,most disappointing albums of all time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

Haha the first thing I thought of was Metallica - Load for the disappointment. After that they got even worse, but I expected it.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

The Stone Roses' Second Coming.

The year is still young.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

Another for Metallica's St Anger, I also put forward;
Queen - Hot Space (they lost the plot)
Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy (over-hyped disappointment)
Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night (they sold-out, and it was a weak album)
Spice Girls - Forever (because it was without Geri! *sobs*)

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

Ambivalence wrote:

Hmm... that might be the one I heard years ago. People with similar tastes to mine seem to like them. I didn't like whatever I heard by them, so if it was that one maybe I should check out their other stuff.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

Xeno wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

Hmm... that might be the one I heard years ago. People with similar tastes to mine seem to like them. I didn't like whatever I heard by them, so if it was that one maybe I should check out their other stuff.

Try this from the first album - truth be told I understand why they aren't to everyone's taste, but their eponymous first album is regularly cited as being among the best ever British albums, and the second just doesn't have the same attraction. And it was a long time coming, too, so when it turned out mediocre people were even more upset than if they'd just churned it out straight away.

The year is still young.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 8:47 pm

St. Anger came to mind the moment I saw the thread title, and this is coming from someone who loved Load.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 10:42 am

Ambivalence wrote:
Xeno wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

Try this from the first album - truth be told I understand why they aren't to everyone's taste, but their eponymous first album is regularly cited as being among the best ever British albums, and the second just doesn't have the same attraction. And it was a long time coming, too, so when it turned out mediocre people were even more upset than if they'd just churned it out straight away.

That is pretty good. Kind of reminds me of The Chameleons. Thanks!

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

definitely Uriah Heep's Wonderworld

after the glory that was Demons and Wizards & the grandeur that was The Magician's Birthday?

even though i bought it in a bargain bin, i felt i'd been ripped off.

reasoning." --William Blake

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

The last Arcade Fire LP was rather a disappointment.

Second Burial LP.

I'd hardly say worst, and I just can't think of anything more disappointing right now.

I never liked the Roses enough to care how bad their second effort was.

I do have a soft spot for this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g09Gzbc ... re=related

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 12:21 am

for those of you brave enough, listen to anything by the band 'the shaggs'. they actually made lp's. some humans just plain have too much money.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 4:24 am

Anything by Justin Bieber.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 4:37 am

I don't actually buy albums really. Well I buy like 1 album a year. I prefer YouTube, since I'm on my computer most of the time and there is an infinitely free library with every song ever made.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 5:37 am

Simonono wrote:
I don't actually buy albums really. Well I buy like 1 album a year. I prefer YouTube, since I'm on my computer most of the time and there is an infinitely free library with every song ever made.

That's not quite true. Though it does contain a lot of stuff, There's been things I've looked for that weren't on it (I do like some obscure crap)

/pedant

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 5:05 am

Also on youtube there is too much live stuff versus what the album sounds like.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 5:28 am

Bloodheart wrote:
Another for Metallica's St Anger

yeah, that was terrible.

there are so many disappointing albums i don't know where to start. it would be much easier to list the bands who have never recorded anything disappointing, and usually it is because they broke up early on.

danandlouie wrote:
for those of you brave enough, listen to anything by the band 'the shaggs'.

unless i'm misunderstanding what is meant by "disappointing" i didn't think that was the idea of this thread. the Shaggs made music in a veritable vacuum, having no idea how anyone else made any, almost. they are appreciated more for their courage, innocence, sincerity and uniqueness than for any talent as musicians or songwriters. so could it be considered bad? sure. but that's not really the point.

when i think "disappointing" what comes to mind is something by an incredibly talented band or artist who has proven themselves capable of great things and just for reasons unknown (burns out? terrible production?) puts out a complete dud when you expect more from them.

how about the Divinyls song "I Touch Myself" .. if anyone knows their great first album (Desperate) with "boys in town" on it, they'll know what i mean. terrible sellout. at least i thought so.

another .. the Cure. i liked a lot of their music, quite a lot, until about 1990 and after around then they never again recorded anything i found even vaguely interesting.