Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 7:09 pm

I'm generally an easy-going, polite, reserved individual who's (now that I'm on meds, anyway) feeling much more cheerful and sociable; but I still often find I'm most attracted to hard, edgy and often dark music, and I've been that way for almost as long as I can remember. Right now, I'm most attracted to genres like aggrotech, EBM, industrial metal, and all that.

Anyone else here happen to like music that's kind of 'at odd' with their general disposition?

Last edited by Zokk on 19 Oct 2011, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 7:39 pm

Yep, my general disposition is a bit intimidating, rough, insensitive, etc, I think. Like girls never go "Aww, he's such a "nice" guy." I listen to girly jpop, eurobeat, eurodance, and happy hardcore a great deal of the time. I pretty rarely listen to something like, say, Atreyu, though I do listen once in a blue moon to something like that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PrYKtahrWU[/youtube]

Like this.

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Oct 2011, 8:09 pm

I like some heavy metal, including some death metal, and I'm a nice weirdo (I think), but I like it only when it's challenging, and technically complex, I don't think it has much correlation (either negative or positive) with personality

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 10:30 pm

I enjoy aggressive electro-house

Alex Gopher - Handguns (Dada Life Remix)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q6v5cGSS9E[/youtube]

CAZZETTE - Killmode vs Fatboy Slim - Right Here Right Now
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpz88qjO6Q4[/youtube]

I mean their hard even if their not dark, most club-goers may find dark a bit of a turnoff. Personally, I don't mind a track for its darkness if it doesn't have human vocals or screaming on it... just an instrumental without any human voices are just fine by me. I used to follow industrail in high school, a perfect circle ( don't know if that counts ) was one of my fav. Is this a better example of what you are into? (also, do you have any examples that you've made on your own as well?)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybTHgGbnHs[/youtube]

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2011, 11:11 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
Is this a better example of what you are into?

Sort of. That's aggrotech for the most part (which I like in some cases, but it has to have a certain something about it for me to really like it). I'm mostly thinking of a wider range of aggressive music, like:

Get Your Body Beat - Combichrist
Bloodsport - The Retrosic
Arm of Justice - SAM
Venom - RTPN
Leave You Far Behind - Lunatic Calm
Rot - SITD
The Best Part About You - Kem Secksdiin
Confrontation - Otep
Asthmatic - Spineshank
Peach Headz Addiction - Breath Frequency
Witch Hunt - MDFMK
Blush - Razed in Black
Night Riders - Stromkern
I Am - Covenant
Tweekin N Funkin - Modulate

Last edited by Zokk on 19 Oct 2011, 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 12:03 am

very very good stuff, dark and aggressive, thanks for the playlist! I need more music like this, i play call of duty an hour a day and this would make great COD music to play to. I'm sometimes also on Yahoo Answers and there's people always looking for this type of material.

and to be fully honest, the you that you describe fits most people who I know who listen to this type of music, and from my experience, most have a very funny sense of humor as well. I don't see anything odd with it. That said... it would be kind of odd if you liked this type of music and also did not like at least one of the following three: sci-fi(novels, shows, or movies) or video games or anime.Then I might think your slightly odd.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 12:29 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
very very good stuff, dark and aggressive, thanks for the playlist! I need more music like this, i play call of duty an hour a day and this would make great COD music to play to.

Cool, glad you like it; I certainly do. If you want more music like that, I can put together a pretty decent sized list of bands and artist you might want to check out if that's the case. The examples I tossed out in my previous post were just kind of off the top of my head. The full list, after sorting through my iTunes library and Pandora Internet Radio thumbs-up songs, is up to 140 potential bands/artists I think you might be interested in, going by the short list.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
most have a very funny sense of humor as well. I don't see anything odd with it. That said... it would be kind of odd if you liked this type of music and also did not like at least one of the following three: sci-fi(novels, shows, or movies) or video games or anime. Then I might think your slightly odd.

You're right on: Everyone tells me I have a pretty goofy sense of humor, and I definitely like sci-fi stuff; it's a favorite genre of mine, especially cyberpunk. Heck, I just like movies, video games, novels and anime in general, really; not just sci-fi ones. Humor and amusement are pretty big in my book, too.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:36 am

Zokk wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
very very good stuff, dark and aggressive, thanks for the playlist! I need more music like this, i play call of duty an hour a day and this would make great COD music to play to.

Cool, glad you like it; I certainly do. If you want more music like that, I can put together a pretty decent sized list of bands and artist you might want to check out if that's the case. The examples I tossed out in my previous post were just kind of off the top of my head. The full list, after sorting through my iTunes library and Pandora Internet Radio thumbs-up songs, is up to 140 potential bands/artists I think you might be interested in, going by the short list.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
most have a very funny sense of humor as well. I don't see anything odd with it. That said... it would be kind of odd if you liked this type of music and also did not like at least one of the following three: sci-fi(novels, shows, or movies) or video games or anime. Then I might think your slightly odd.

You're right on: Everyone tells me I have a pretty goofy sense of humor, and I definitely like sci-fi stuff; it's a favorite genre of mine, especially cyberpunk. Heck, I just like movies, video games, novels and anime in general, really; not just sci-fi ones. Humor and amusement are pretty big in my book, too.

that seems like too much work to compile such a list (120 bands??? 8O ), I mean big ups to you if you can, but not necessary bro. If you can, the essentials(the songs that anyone coming to this genera must absolutely know), the tunes you most identify with in taste, and the artists and musical pioneers(from your perspective) that I should be keeping an eye out for would be awesome man! I'm already looking into the artist Modulate as I'd like to take some influence from that song and help make my dubstep more aggressive and darker.

(on a side note, I often don't hear cyberpunk brought up in here and I've never been into cyberpunk in tv, movie, games, or books, but would be lying if I said i wasn't attracted to cyberpunk architecture or cyberpunk fashion(some of the better ones I've seen that is)... I hope to see us reach that state technologically while I'm still alive.)

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 2:50 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
that seems like too much work to compile such a list (120 bands??? 8O )

Yeah, I kind of went a little overboard when gathering them all up, but it only took me about 45 minutes, and I did have fun doing it, actually.

I'll take some time to narrow that giant list down to the 'definitives' and let you know; how's that?

Unfortunately, a few of the artists are absolutely great, but they're so obscure in the sub-basement of the underground music scene, that I don't even think there's a place to buy, download, or even listen to their music anymore; they've all pretty much moved on since I downloaded their songs, but they've made a lasting impression on my musical tastes and influences for my own music.

And yeah, I really like the cyberpunk aesthetic, myself. Not so much the outlandish cyberpunk fashion you see in clubs and stuff, but the other stuff, sure. High-tech, low-life. Not a clean, shiny, smooth, sleek future, all chrome, glass and concrete; but sufficiently lived-in, used, slightly grungy one. Less of this; more of this.