i wonder what the industry would be like sans auto tune...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

rainbowwren75340
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

It's really actually hard to tell at this point where even some of the more talented, top of the line artists need their voices tweaked to be at top quality just for the sake of top quality and mainstream sparkle. I'm not neccessarily saying it's over the top, but these days can anybody tell that what i said about singers not even deserving of or needing auto tune get it anyhow?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm

In the 70's and early 80's you had to actually be talented enough to actually sing. The beginning of the quality slide was the advent of the Eventide H3000. --If you had $4000+ you could use it for pitch correction, or pay the studio engineer to do it. Nowadays AutoTune does the same thing for a lot less, and is everywhere. :evil:

That being said if there was neither of the above, talent would actually matter again, though in retrospect the H3000 did have some nice reverb and cool modulation effects.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

No need to wonder, just go listen to music from the past. Especially from the 50s and before. Not even no autotune, a lot of that stuff is just one shot takes, no mixing of individual instruments into one song in the recording studio, no changing distortion, etc, just bam, sing it, done. You had to be super good then.

As far as actually needing it, well, you don't "need" a lot of things, some artists are probably good enough to do one shot takes even now, but as things get more advanced, a lot of what was a luxury before goes into people's realm of "need."

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2011, 2:02 pm

I wish autotune would disappear. Highly unlikely any time soon. Fortunately, I listen to artists who don't use it.

As for the music industry without autotune, I believe it would be better over all. Autotune was invented to find oil.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

It'd be the same as it always has been. Autotune is annoying, but the music industry has never been "good" - there have always been good artists and there have always been bad artists and there has always been a large volume of mass-produced pap by people without much talent right back to the very first mass distribution of music.

What happens is that there is an (entirely understandable) bias towards playing the good music from an earlier era. If someone wants to play an old record, they'll play a good one. They won't dig out one of the crap ones. So when we hear music from an earlier time, we're used to hearing the good stuff, not the dross. As I said elsewhere, if you go back and look at the chart listings, it's often a very different story. :)

The year is still young.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 4:43 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
It'd be the same as it always has been. Autotune is annoying, but the music industry has never been "good" - there have always been good artists and there have always been bad artists and there has always been a large volume of mass-produced pap by people without much talent right back to the very first mass distribution of music.

What happens is that there is an (entirely understandable) bias towards playing the good music from an earlier era. If someone wants to play an old record, they'll play a good one. They won't dig out one of the crap ones. So when we hear music from an earlier time, we're used to hearing the good stuff, not the dross. As I said elsewhere, if you go back and look at the chart listings, it's often a very different story. :)

To quote Ecclesiastes,

Quote:
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time. There is no remembrance of men of old, and even those who are yet to come will not be remembered by those who follow.

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

Ambivalence wrote:

You're right on this.