somewhat surprised any Aspies are good at creating arts

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 8:13 am

People with Asperger's/ASDs tend to be very pragmatic. Tend to be attracted to sciences and engineering. I have seen poetry from at least one Aspie that I really like. I don't quite understand where that ability comes from in people with ASDs. I like listening to music but can create nearly none. I've attempted poetry, but it turns out mechanical. I am interested in biology, but not human biology so much.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 8:43 am

Could it come from their experiences, or interests? May be you can write biology-focussed poetry.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 9:21 am

Who knows I may be more ADDS than ASD, but I am defintely not pragmatic. I was good at Maths after I left school, but not science. MInd you I was bottom of the class in Art as well.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 10:13 am

I am both math/science gifted and arts gifted. I aspire to be a physician and an actress.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

Well, in my case of writing music, I'm still being logical, as music can work under various sized frameworks and patterns. The creative part of it is how I decide to work with the framework(s) I've chosen, and while it doesn't come easy to me, I don't think I'd want that any other way.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

I am a professional 3D animator. I have been an artist all my life, most of my income has been from art.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

I've been writing since the day I learned to. I suppose it's my odd speech patterns that tend to lend some creativity to my poems, but then I'm also told my pieces make people think.

IDK, I guess ASD or not when you're artistic you're artistic.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

Maybe we have a broader imagination than we think we do. ;)

TellEmSteveDave
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

well I'm an artist, a writer and a musician with a highly active imagination! I'm really bad at maths and scientific subjects too! there are lots of AS people who excel in the arts! many famous musicians, artists, composers and authors are (or are rumoured to have been) Aspies! I'm not pragmatic and logical at all, I'm random and disorganised.

It depends on the individual, some of us are good at art and some of us are more scientific and logical- you can't tar everyone with the same brush!

TheSocialExperiment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

I write rap songs and poems, whilst learning the piano. I enjoyed English most in school. I was obsessed with listening to music for years in school and only started to create it towards the end. I hated Music lessons in school but now I'm taking Music A Level in 6th Form and I'm doing well, even though I didn't choose it for GCSE. I surprised myself by enjoying the keyboard when I started the A Level. For a couple of years I got so into the music I listened to in class that I'd write the lyrics in my schoolbook and read them so I could understand how the artists were so good. I think Aspies are good at the arts because of the social problems they have. They may find it hard to express themselves whilst standing in front of someone using casual language, but find it easier to express themselves via writing, etc.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:10 pm

I have always been way more artistic than mathematical. I'm better with words than numbers, and pictures than concepts.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm

I'm into graphic design and film, studied fashion in college, blog daily, love architecture, compose electronic dance music, involved in the foodie movement, and religiously follow automotive design.

My deepest love is judaism and religious philosophies, next would be urban studies, and I follow political thought closely. My brain is rather rigid(fenced in as opposed to a schizophrenic) and yet find myself being more creative then most people I come across. Maybe it's a survival mechanism, maybe its genetic, I don't know.

It is an odd mix, and frankly, my aspie-ness gets in the way of me being able to be an engineer or any technical field for that matter. Though that would be sweet if I could become one... and make lots and lots and lots of money...

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 8:51 pm

Aspies are very good at art we are naturaly creative in all sorts of things :wink:

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

I'm a composer, but I'm really into a plethora of different things musically. I have two degrees in music, I teach piano and violin, play clarinet, am active as a paid, on-staff pianist at my church, do solo jazz gigs for fundraisers/private parties, compose/arrange for travelling 4-in-hand handbells. In my spare time, I program synthesizers and make ambient/space music. I also dabble in computer animation, but not very good at visual arts. At one time I was a dedicated actor with community theater, but I've had to make some sacrifices since I became a father. I'm a vintage synth enthusiast, though sadly I have to think realistically about my budget. I have a Yamaha TX7, TX802, a Roland alpha Juno 1, Akai S2000, Synclavier PSMT with FM and DDV upgraded sampling, and most recently an Oberheim Matrix 1000. I'm also programming for Korg X50, and I regularly work in software like Absynth, Reason, and Apple Logic Pro. I also occasionally use the entry-level version of Ableton Live because I like how easy it is to organize audio clips and loops and the different ways it can be used in live performance. Besides that, I also occasionally play guitar and have enjoyed playing electric bass since I was in middle school (currently play on a G&L Tribute L2500).

For me the biggest challenge to creating music was breaking away from a hyper-organized approach to creating music, rather than just letting the music flow naturally. When I focussed too much on a systematic approach of determining what I'd write, I'd end up with this chaotic, meandering result that never really went anywhere. I still compose atonal music, which to most ears is outlandish and harsh. But the difference is that the organization and structure is kept very loose. I write down what notes I'll play, but once I start recording the music HOW it gets played is a matter of almost an improvised approach that is as much chaotic as it is organic. The important part is I actually believe in what I write, which I couldn't always say with confidence. I feel like the aspieness wants to keep everything carefully structured and controlled, while what we generally label as being music can't be so easily held back in such a box. The struggle is almost light fighting logic.

Here's a link to my stuff, which is a cross-section of what I'm into including my semi-ambient/space music and handbell stuff as well as a Blender animation. I recognize that I have a lot of work to do, but I'll put more stuff up as I go.

http://www.youtube.com/angelrho

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

Science and engineering require creativity to.

DeadalusRex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2012, 10:45 pm

Last time I checked being obsessive, hypersensitive, and generally a little odd were defining characteristics of both artists and aspies.

My dad is a geneticist and we talk a lot about how similar the processes of doing art and doing science are to each other-- they are both about a lot of trial and error guided by some sort of hypothesis.

There are also many different ways to be an artist some of which appeal to folks on the spectrum, some of which don't.