What are most of the stories you write about, about?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Aug 2012, 5:47 am

Self-explanatory.
--
While I very rarely get to type down many of my story ideas (Homer Simpson Syndrome [laziness] and no time are the two primary reasons for this), when I do, most of them are comedic in nature, but every now and then, I gravitate towards bittersweet love stores, some of them about myself when I find true love. Some are tragic, and others can be just bittersweet.

Quite a few of them also take place during the 1980s, as well, as it was my favorite time in the world, despite many of the problems and that I only lived the last few years of it. I always have such major attention to detail; it pays to do research for something to make it consistent for that time period.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2012, 5:56 am

Some of my stories involve teenagers with fantasy elements. I wrote one story about a teenage girl who came face to face with the personifications of her good and evil sides and I wrote another about four teenagers in a fantasy world (not very original I know). One of my stories was about a pilot who gets captured and tortured for information and another was about a Doctor Who cosplayer who saved a space liner from space pirates. To answer your question I write about all kinds of things. I'd say my biggest influence though was Neil Gaiman. I love his writing.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 8:46 am

When I wrote, I don't at the moment, I wrote about something metaphysical, abstract, artful, emotional, human and so on. It is like conjuring magic by writing and words, with the potential you can make out of writing and words. The art form that is. It was also a lot of thought behind the rules and standards I wanted to have in the text.

But I'm almost certain this will change the next time I write.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:10 pm

I also write sports stories as well, in keeping with my love for sports.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 1:24 am

Fairy tales and philosophy (my two main interests)- I take a traditional tale (usually Andersen/Grimms), use the same structure/archetypes and rewrite it according to a philosophical theory (usually about identity/the self which is the area of philosophy I'm most interested in). There's usually only one character or occasionally two, and it's more theory-based than plot driven. I'm about to start a PhD in Creative Writing :) can't wait!

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 6:14 pm

I write sci-fi and science-fantasy. Pretty much all of them have romantic sub-plots. Themes generally run along the lines of the ethics of certain technologies, the abuse of power, revenge, protecting family and friends, etc.

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Aug 2012, 8:10 pm

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, romance, contemporary, and alternative history, in that order
My charactors generally have something wrong with them, are emotionally distant or abused. Among my hundreds of characters are a disfigured girl in a fantasy setting who considers herself sexless, an abused teenaged boy who sees visions of an alternative world that he is soon sucked into, an autistic girl who see's 'Shadows' (pretty much demons), a halfbreed alien boy who has a symbiotic clone as a companion, and a disembodied spirit named Rork who is flamboyount, annoying and often invades peoples minds wearing nothing but a palm leaf... or less :lol:
I don't know what this says about my psyche, but my imgination is one of the most lively places around :D
Unfortunately, I have yet to finsih a single story. Another always shoves the one I am working on out of my mind. :(

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:19 pm

Fantasy and historical, with African (especially Egyptian) settings being my favorite. Often I like to throw in dinosaurs and Nordic barbarians too. A lot of my characters tend to be warriors or hunters, and their stories often have strong morals or other themes that unravel at the end. I'm also fond of plot twists and bad guys disguising themselves as good guys.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 1:00 am

One thing I like about my sports stories is imagining myself and other people in sports uniforms. :)

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2012, 10:24 am

I primarily like to write science fiction related topics and stories. I feel they are better than always writing about the real world. Generally they don't make a whole lot of sense when compared to reality, but I don't let anyone else read them. :P I often try to imagine myself being the main character and go from there.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2012, 9:32 am

I primarily write horror stories although I love to write crime stories as well. I don't know how scary my horror stories are though. I think they actually are more stories of the absurd with a horror element.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2012, 10:24 pm

Descriptions of settings, which, if you pay attention to the details, will reveal a story. I try to make them cheery at first glance, but the more you pay attention the darker they get.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 10:28 pm

Very rarely, when I get depressed as well, I write stories about what things would be like without me. They can get pretty dark....

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 9:18 pm

Also, periodically, I write fictitious eps of popular game shows, with me as host at times. I always try to do a lot of detail to the prizes given away on the show.......

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 6:24 pm

Most of my stories take place in the 1930's. I find that era fascinating, and if somebody invented a time machine, THAT would be the era I'd want to visit. I also tend to write about American characters as I find then endearingly eccentric, namely H.P. Lovecraft, Charles Fort, Circus people, farm people caught up in the Great depression, and so on. (I guess the foreign is always what draws your love.)

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 3:03 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Most of my stories take place in the 1930's. I find that era fascinating, and if somebody invented a time machine, THAT would be the era I'd want to visit. I also tend to write about American characters as I find then endearingly eccentric, namely H.P. Lovecraft, Charles Fort, Circus people, farm people caught up in the Great depression, and so on. (I guess the foreign is always what draws your love.)

You steal those, too?