Page 291 of 298 [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 ... 298  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 11:26 pm

The Alchemist by Ben Johnson

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 3:58 pm

Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope (1865)

Anthony Trollope wrote:
And he was very dull. He rather prided himself on being dull, and on conquering in spite of his dullness. He never allowed himself a joke in his speeches, nor attempted even the smallest flourish of rhetoric. He was very careful in his language, labouring night and day to learn to express himself with accuracy, with no needless repetition of words, perspicuously with regard to the special object he might have in view. He had taught himself to believe that oratory, as oratory, was a sin against that honesty in politics by which he strove to guide himself. He desired to use words for the purpose of teaching things which he knew and which others did not know; and he
desired also to be honoured for his knowledge. But he had no desire to be honoured for the language in which his knowledge was conveyed.

I wish there were more politicians (and marketers) like that, but I suppose they're extinct because people don't seem to buy "boring." I strive to live up to that man's integrity in communication without sapping all the colour and sparkle out of my presentation. But I doubt it's possible to get it perfect, and I'm a perfectionist.

Patrick22348
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2023, 4:57 pm

Drawings from the Gulag by Danzig Baldeav.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/ ... aev-review

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 4:59 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

Ben Jonson.

Sorry - I couldn't not fix that, with a 99% monotropism score.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 6:06 pm

^ You could have deleted it after you'd reflected that it might not be well-received. Still, I'm glad you didn't.

Mable94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2023, 4:04 pm

Not a book I'm reading but soon I will buy the Malleus Maleficarum or the Hammer of Witches. It's was a handbook written in the 1400's explaining witchcraft and ways to detect and extirpate suspected witches.

It's expensive but I will buy soon.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 4:51 pm

Testament of Youth, Vera Brittain

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 5:17 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Ben Jonson.

Sorry - I couldn't not fix that, with a 99% monotropism score.

Haha, my bad. :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 5:18 pm

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 5:33 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

I read that a few years ago. How do you like it?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 5:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I have read it before, this is my second time reading it.

I really like it.

Lennie Small's disabilities are often dismissed as 'crazy' when George calls him a "crazy bastard" because of his cognitive issues and for obvious reasons, being that it is a book written almost a century ago, it is rooted in its time when referencing the mental challenges of Lennie Small.

But the characters are really interesting and despite some of George's hostility towards Lennie, he really does seem to care for him. He laments at times about how good his life could be without the (mentally) disabled Lennie getting him into all kinds of trouble, but he seems to enjoy travelling together and at one point explains to a character who asks why he does that, that he travels together because it is less lonely to do so.

For me, there is a constant unnerving sense of danger with what Lennie is going to do next, or how he is going to cause trouble, which makes it more interesting.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 5:50 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I really like it.

Lennie Small's disabilities are often dismissed as 'crazy' when George calls him a "crazy bastard" because of his cognitive issues and for obvious reasons, being that it is a book written almost a century ago, it is rooted in its time when referencing the mental challenges of Lennie Small.

But the characters are really interesting and despite some of George's hostility towards Lennie, he really does seem to care for him. He laments at times about how good his life could be without the (mentally) disabled Lennie getting him into all kinds of trouble, but he seems to enjoy travelling together and at one point explains to a character who asks why he does that, that he travels together because it is less lonely to do so.

For me, there is a constant unnerving sense of danger with what Lennie is going to do next, or how he is going to cause trouble, which makes it more interesting.

I concur.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 5:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I really like it.

I concur.

:mrgreen:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 1:11 pm

The Rage Against God by Peter Hitchens

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 4:45 pm

IsabellaLinton