Advice related to color in a painting.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lee93mcd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2013, 11:51 am

I need help with painting objects submersed in water, similar to the painting of a mammoth by jay ryan.
Painting is found by simply searching '' 1993 revisited Jay Ryan'' in google images.

I don't understand how to make the color of the object look like it is underwater.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2013, 12:09 pm

First off - are you painting with real paints, or working digitally? this makes a big difference to how it would be achieved.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 12:26 pm

http://pshoudini.deviantart.com/art/Und ... -279763370

lee93mcd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

Its with acrylics, not digital.

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2013, 8:42 am

cool :)
generally speaking I find that a hint of cobalt turquoise light (sometimes called cobalt teal) works best for a water like feel, glazing a very thin transparent layer of turquoise can give a really good underwater feel to a painting. Looking at the picture you referenced, I'd say reducing the contrast and lightening the colours will help too for the effect you want. I.e. make the dark tones lighter compared to the light tones, then layer the whole with turquoise.

Beppieiscool
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2013, 10:51 am

This Video may help.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_hmcTs4qRQ[/youtube]

The world is a mess.
The mess is full of color, beauty, laughter, happiness, sadness, pain, misery, and everyone can relate to this crazy world. For we all live

L4mia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2013, 11:25 am

It depends ENTIRELY on the water. Is the water clear? Is both the object and the viewing point underwater, or is the viewer looking from above the water? How deep is object under the water? From what angle is the viewer looking at the water?

It always help to find a reference photo and dissect it. If necessary, grab an image editor with a good color picker and learn the real colors to what may seem to be a 'red' object in a blue sea, but take that color out of context it's actually a purple. Color relativity can be really deceiving.