Want to start writing, but have a sort of block

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 10:56 pm

I've been meaning to start writing lately--probably short fiction more than poetry but hell if I know. I will get
ideas from time to time that somehow meet my unhealthy perfectionism's standards, but I don't feel right
actually expanding the ideas into full stories because I do not want to risk botching a potentially good idea
because of my inexperience. Which of course causes me to not write and still have too little experience to feel
confident writing anything etc etc.

I'd like to be a good writer and I (in a strange moment of not-horrible self esteem) feel like I might have it in
me to be one.

Advise? :|

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 12:55 am

Just keep writing and editing your work. It's almost guaranteed that the more you write the better you'll get.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 5:56 am

Learn to think in terms of drafts.

The first draft is just to get the idea out. Then set it aside and later read and edit. Repeat until editing isn't making it better, then you are done.

But you must start by just getting it out. And you must silence your self criticism during that phase. Inner critics are notoriously misguided and ill informed.

Tell your perfectionism to stfu and leave you alone until you are editing, then it can go nuts.

IntroSpectral
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2013, 6:45 am

My advice is to just do it. One is never really in a good position to judge ones own work.. especially while it is still in progress.. trust in your good taste and get on with it :)

also I might recommend Stephen King's "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft" . that is a pretty nice book in my opinion :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2013, 7:06 am

The best advice I ever got was this:

"The only way to learn is to make 10,000 mistakes. You may begin."

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:49 am

Adamantium wrote:
Learn to think in terms of drafts.

The first draft is just to get the idea out. Then set it aside and later read and edit. Repeat until editing isn't making it better, then you are done.

But you must start by just getting it out. And you must silence your self criticism during that phase. Inner critics are notoriously misguided and ill informed.

Tell your perfectionism to stfu and leave you alone until you are editing, then it can go nuts.

Yes, Yes, Yes. I loved it when this finally clicked for me.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:54 am

Good shout out above regarding Stephen King's 'On Writing'.

Perfectionism is the biggest enemy. I don't think I'll be able to hold a candle to most writers. However, it's a great excuse. If I want to write something, then I will - it's that simple. It always is that simple.

Hemingway's my man - "the first draft of everything is ****"

Just write. I'd set myself a timer, to get into the habit. How many words can you do in half an hour? What's your wordcount? Measure that, half an hour a day, and just write.

Adamantium sounds like he has been freed by NaNoWriMo. Hallelujah! It's a beautiful thing when you allow yourself to be free.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 9:31 am

roronoa79 wrote:
I've been meaning to start writing lately--probably short fiction more than poetry but hell if I know. I will get
ideas from time to time that somehow meet my unhealthy perfectionism's standards, but I don't feel right
actually expanding the ideas into full stories because I do not want to risk botching a potentially good idea
because of my inexperience. Which of course causes me to not write and still have too little experience to feel
confident writing anything etc etc.

I'd like to be a good writer and I (in a strange moment of not-horrible self esteem) feel like I might have it in
me to be one.

Advise? :|

All the best! :) There are some really good writers on the Wrong Planet (& they've already given you good advice here). Now, I do write analytically, which is not the same as your short fiction. But I do think the process is similar. This summer when I was in the midst of finishing my thesis, I found this great video advice by Anne Rice. I wish Anne Rice were my aunt! Check this out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw2KXX7WrOY[/youtube]