Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

23 Oct 2013, 10:59 pm

Here, you can talk about what your art technique consists of. How you do it, what you use, etc.
-----
I've been known to draw my stuff on-the-fly. The Garfield style utilized by me is almost as simple to the lowest common denominator as you can get; big eyes, thin bodies, you name it.

I do my sketches on paper and pencil, once I finish them, I scan them on my computer and then color them using GIMP. I may switch to a pen soon, as the pencil outlines look gray when I scan them. In the past, they were black and very smooth; now that I use a different scanner, the outlines come out a bit rough.

When I do my game show set recreations, I use MS Paint exclusively. I use screenshots from game shows for reference, and to make sure I have every last detail down.

On that note, once again, here is a link to many of my game show works: http://fromequestria2la.deviantart.com/gallery/6178573

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 11:21 pm

being that you did not explicitly restrict this forum to VISUAL arts, i can say my [aural] art technique in the field of digital audio restoration involves taking old worn audio recordings and making them more akin to a silk purse than a sow's ear, though a lot of digital signal processing via the following programs-

*waves cat43 emulator
*waves ps22 stereomaker
*sound forge
*munoise
*psp stereotools
*virtos noise wizard
*acos studio tools
*dartpro 24
*dcart 6
*pristine sounds 2005
*roland r-mix

i do a combo of tearing down and rebuilding soundfiles, removing noise and replacing it with interpolated/extrapolated recreated signal. i generally leave a sound better than when it came to me.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 11:27 pm

'sall right. I didn't want it to be restricted, really. :)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 11:28 pm

I'm mostly a writer. Generally speaking, everything I write starts out with a line or two I just can't get out of my head, so I write it down, then build on it. Occasionally, I start off with just a general feeling I want to convey.

Same basic principal applies to when I compose music. I get random melodies stuck in my head, then seek to duplicate and build upon them. Sometimes I combine my writing with the music, but most times these are two separate art forms for me. Lyrical composition just doesn't seem to be the norm for me, not sure why.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

23 Oct 2013, 11:37 pm

I'm primarily a traditional artist, working with pencil and watercolors. I adopt my manga/cartoon style as a modified version of Hiromu Arakawa's style (as Hiromu is my favorite mangaka), but I also do a lot of semi-realistic humans, and I'm starting to get into drawing landscapes and backgrounds to get better at them.

When I go digital, I stick to Photoshop and Autodesk Sketchbook, because I know those two best.

Some examples of my stuff:

[img][625:833]http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/289/5/d/allen_by_geekyteen-d6qrcah.jpg[/img]

[img][500:800]http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/291/e/b/change_of_pace_by_geekyteen-d6qzhep.png[/img]

[img][600:800]http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/225/6/a/finished_drawing__by_geekyteen-d6hzqao.jpg[/img]

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 11:47 pm

Additionally, typically it takes me about 5-10 minutes to finish a simple piece of artwork.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 7:55 am

For my writing, I usually always come up with a premise/idea first. This can happen anywhere. I've had stuff come to me while exercising in the gym, shower, from a dream, and from other places. So I have to pay attention, or else I get nothing. I then write the premise/idea down and maybe if I have time, I flesh the idea out, or just sit on it if I'm to busy working on something else. Then If I want to take the writing further, I outline it, figure out any basic world building, any wants, or needs to go into the story. If it's still tennable, I then start writing a rough draft.

When I make Jewelry, it was pretty much anything goes. I only made bracelets, hairsticks, earrings, anklets, and necklaces. I'd have my beads out on my bead board and just see what ideas I could come up with. There were a few times I experimented with new techniques, which led me to some seed bead patterns, and the flat spiral stitch for necklaces. But it was really just free form, no planning, seeing what beads looked good together, stringing them or arranging them, and then putting the piece together. I've only ever taken apart three of my pieces back apart once I finished. This isn't to say I'm reluctant to do that, but one was because it broke, and the other two because I hated the two pieces and recycled them.

My fractal pieces, are pretty much a brute force effort. Using the fractal software, it's just a matter of finding the right variables. Edit one, re-render. Not good, Edit another var, re-render, check again, repeat this sometimes a few thousand times and then you finally have a work of art. Sometimes it's a few edits. But once I got the fractal I wanted, I rendered it to whatever format I wanted which was usually .png, or with Tierazon .bmp. Then I'd edit in GIMP to add a border and make it the right size to be a print on DA, or to resize for wallpaper. Then post to DA.

My abstract art was just free form. I'd start with Inkscape making some base piece of geometric abstract nonsense as vector art. Then I'd edit in Gimp to color as needed, resize, add borders, and make it presentable as a finished piece of art. Then it'd end up on DA. There were a few pieces before I found Inkscape that started out as a scan of something I did on graph paper with pencil, stencils, and straight edge, but once I found inkscape, that stopped. With Inkscape, I had a file full of pre-made shapes that I'd created over time, and used that as a starting point and just threw shapes together.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 8:22 am

My drawing "art" is usually just a doodle on a sticky-note that somehow worked. It's all happy accidents with me. Like for some weird reason I was drawing different sized circles on a notepad with a black sharpie when I was bored at work and when I turned the page, I saw that they had soaked through to the other side and there was a mirror image where the pages joined. The frustrating thing is that I can't say to myself, "Okay, I want to draw 'X'," then grab a pen and do it. It just happens to me.

For photos, I mostly used my Minolta 35mm or my poor Sony point-n-shoot digital. I see something and I think, "Wow! That looks neat..." or "What would that look like close up, or from this angle?"

For knitting and jewelry, I start with the materials, like a certain type of yarn or bead, then figure out what would show it to its best advantage within the limitations of my dratted tiny budget. Sometimes I do the accidental thing with yarn too. Once I was trying to make a granny square but since I don't crochet much, I couldn't remember exactly how, so I came up with something kinda shaped like a butterfly. :?

IntroSpectral
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

For Drawing: Pen and Paper :)

For Music: Computer, Ableton Live 9, Various Sound-sources. Me

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2013, 5:14 pm

I am a traditional artist, painter, sculptor, etc. My methods are mostly

a. I carve/sculpt clay,wood, ivory, bone and stone. Methods:, mostly small dental tools, chisels and other tools and sometimes a Dremel.
Examples Wood (Link)
Example Clay (Link)
Example Antler and bone (link)
Example Deer Antler pinky ring (Link)

b. I carve soapstone molds for casting pewter, replicating historical pieces and my own designs. Methods: as above. Adding a bullet casting ladle, propane torch and lead free pewter.
Example Soapstone Mold (Link)
Example Cast pewter "elder sign" (Link)
Example Pewters badge replica (Link)

c. I paint, Methods:I mix egg, gum Arabic, and other binders with purchased or hand ground stone pigments myself in addition to store bought paint. Watercolors, tempera, oil, including icon writing in orthodox style. I dislike modern methods in general, I can make better paints than stores sell anyway.
Examples Medieval Manylion (Link)

d. Drawing Methods: I draw with pencil and scan it into the computer, I then print it before inking it. As if I mess up I can start over again and often repeat the process until I get the results I want. I often emulate the style of other artists when covering a genre.
Examples Evil female magic user (Link)

e. Ecclesiastical arts, or religious arts. Methods: mostly using a combination of the skills above.
Examples Carved medieval alter cross (Link)

f. Forged antiquities, or fake historical items. Methods: For this I use mostly polymer clay, Super Sculpey, fimo, etc often with a genuine antiquity to add to the illusion of age. Often using chisels to remove and reshape an item. Lately I've been modifying Asian antiquities of jade as it's cheap and gives a neat effect. Other methods include use of plaster, carved leather, or other techniques.
Examples Mandrake Root Creature (Link)
Example Hand carved medieval chessmen (Link)

g. Digital art and cartography Methods: the same as you, I us MS Paint and GIMP.
Examples Map of Hyboria with mythos locations included (Link)
Example Starship Carlton (A game setting where folks don't realise they are on a starship at first) (Link)
Examples Me as a hindu diety photomanipulation. (Link)
Example Pompous Patriarchal Parody Portrait photomanipulation, where I meld my head onto a historical painting as a humorous home decoration. (Link)

h. Leatherwork : Methods: numerous mostly cutting
Examples Hand made sword belt (Link)

I do a little of everything and those are just some obvious examples. I feel my methods of drawing and re-scanning are perhaps my most unique methods and helped me get past the fear of ruining a work by over inking it.

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 5:16 pm

AutisticMillionaire wrote:
I do a little of everything and those are just some obvious examples. I feel my methods of drawing and re-scanning are perhaps my most unique methods and helped me get past the fear of ruining a work by over inking it.

wow :o you are talented :wtg:

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 12:29 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AutisticMillionaire wrote:

wow :o you are talented :wtg:

I agree.