Are there an Aspie Fanfiction Writers on here?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

gertie1999
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2013, 1:32 pm

I am just curious as I've been writing fanfiction since I was 12. I always feel so alone when it comes to writing fanfiction as a bunch of my peers don't write or read at all.

Ames76
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2013, 2:58 pm

I've tried but can't do it. I have all kinds of stories that are in my head, but when I try to put them down, it doesn't come out well. I love to read fanfictions, though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 3:15 pm

I stopped reading fanfic when I realized that most seem to feature a "Mary Sue"-type character.

Quote:
The term "Mary Sue" comes from the name of a character ... generally original female adolescents who had romantic liaisons with established canonical adult characters, or in some cases were the younger relatives or protégées of those characters.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 3:25 pm

I used to write hurt-comfort M/M X-Files slash fanfic and still belong to a web ring that does that. Thanks to the internet I discovered that there are a lot of people who love fanfic, not only me.

lwolf
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2013, 4:32 am

Yep I write lot's of fan fiction just never posted it. Some of it's too mature if you know what I mean

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 8:00 am

I do write fiction periodically, but not fan fic. Its been sometimes with a group online or on my own, but still related to people online.

Lilysparkle2011
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2013, 12:07 pm

I do, i've only been writing for the past couple of years though, my first attempts were pretty bad but i've slowly gotten better and i'm currently in the middle of a Fifty Shades fan-fiction which i'm still writing and posting online, while typing up another other small ideas that pop into my head. My problem is that I tend to start writing too many stories and forget to finish the stories that I originally started although i'm trying to prevent that by only working on one big story at a time. :D

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

06 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Art, Writing, and Music]

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
I stopped reading fanfic when I realized that most seem to feature a "Mary Sue"-type character.

Quote:
The term "Mary Sue" comes from the name of a character ... generally original female adolescents who had romantic liaisons with established canonical adult characters, or in some cases were the younger relatives or protégées of those characters.
Believe it or not, that annoys fanfiction writers, too. Some of us have gotten together to write metafiction in which we create realistic, solid characters to kill or evict mary sues from their host universes.

You just have to find decent stories. The trouble with fanfic is that most people who write it have to get at least one 'sue out of their system before they can get to the well-written stuff (I was no different--my first and worst 'sue was an eleven-year-old kid supergenius with superpowers, who would eventually have gotten to the point of literal omnipotence; needless to say I facepalm nowadays when I think about her). Published stuff doesn't get published until it's at least good enough to impress an editor, but with fanfic you're essentially looking at all the practice pieces that would normally never see the light of day. That's why it's harder to find the well-written stuff. Most communities recommend fanfic to each other, which makes it easier to find stories that are enjoyable and mary-sue-free. In fact, some of these stories are as good as (or even better than) the original work they are based on.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 1:13 pm

I stay away from fanfic. I don't write it and I rarely read it. I choose to write other things instead. I think this is based in that I don't go for other peoples worlds all that much and I've tried a few times to write in worlds created by others and it never goes anywhere. To me it's just not worth the time. I have my own stories to write.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2013, 3:59 pm

My first and only attempt at writing anything resembling fanfic was set in the Star Trek universe, and did NOT feature any canonical Star Trek character or world.

It was a murder mystery set on an agricultural world, and featured a Vulcan female grad student working on her PhD thesis on "Minimal Technological Intervention to Maximize Crop Yields"; a human female wanting to leave the farm and join Star Fleet; a human male who just inherited the farm and who was torn between seeing his sister leave and wanting her to have the best possible life; an unscrupulous land developer of indeterminate ancestry who wanted to expand his holdings at any cost; and an assortment of locals.

I never got around to deciding on which ending to run with, and eventually gave up on it altogether.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 8:27 pm

Lilysparkle2011 wrote:
I do, i've only been writing for the past couple of years though, my first attempts were pretty bad but i've slowly gotten better and i'm currently in the middle of a Fifty Shades fan-fiction which i'm still writing and posting online, while typing up another other small ideas that pop into my head. My problem is that I tend to start writing too many stories and forget to finish the stories that I originally started although i'm trying to prevent that by only working on one big story at a time. :D

I can relate to you in so many ways.

But, yeah. I actually write fanfiction; I've actually been doing it a lot these past couple of months.

And I actually do have my own OCs, too; quite a few of them have come a very long way, but I'm actually very pleased with some of the results. I haven't exactly written anything with them in quite some time, which is kind of sad; I've mostly just been focused on writing Scourtney and Fluttercord fanfiction.

As for Mary-Sues, it's understandable if the kid that makes them is twelve, or something. But what I really hate is when someone does it on purpose... :roll: It's usually just best to give inexperienced fanfic writers constructive criticism, nothing too belittling like, "Oh, your character suks! You need to DIE!!!11" No, just something that's reassuring on how they can improve.

There are other fanfiction trends I hate, but I'll save those for another day.

If you really want to experience a taste of my writing, I posted one of my Scourtney oneshots on the writer's thread here.

Sono

13 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm

To me, writing fanfiction is both fun (and sometimes funny) way to keep my writing skills up to scratch while not having to feel like I need to put in the endless hours of effort I think I must spend on my own stories. That and I can challenge myself to make the most absurd things work realistically in that universe. For example, I have the abstract goal of someday being able to realistically pair Voldemort with a middle aged muggle and make it work realistically. I haven't even tried yet, mostly because I'm too busy.

Some fanfics are quite good, others are laughably terrible. I read one pretty terrible one which had a very sillily named mary-sue. The worst part was finding out later that the author had been pregnant when she'd begun writing the fic and that she named her baby after the mary-sue. 8O Poor child.