Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Sep 2014, 5:24 pm

Just wondering if there is any advice out there regarding getting published. I have written a novel and I think it's ready to go, I have sent it off to a few publishers, but when I get the rejection letter, I loose heart and it takes me ages to rebuild the confidence to send it off again.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 12:40 am

I'm a writer, and I'm in the same boat, too. I've got a couple short stories I think might be ready for publication, but for the past few months I've been hesitant to send them out to various fiction magazines. I guess I became way too gun shy back in my college days when I took creative writing workshops, and had to contend with fellow classmates whose primary joy in life came from ridiculing and degrading the efforts of others.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 11:35 pm

If you're not too worried about money, try publishing yourself online with something like Amazon or Blogspot.

Data001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2014, 9:22 am

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to my let you my thoughts as I am writer and working on a fanasty story at the momnt called Dragon Dream with the help of an NT online firend. Once we have written it we'll look at doing self-publishing via Smashwords and selling the e-book from our own website in ebook form.

Regards

Data001

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2014, 6:32 pm

Thanks for your tips, unfortunately most avenues of online, self publishing, e-books etc, in fact most aspects of the internet are a bit of mystery to me.

Any suggestions on how to research these possibilities?

Data001

16 Sep 2014, 8:53 am

Skurvey wrote:
Thanks for your tips, unfortunately most avenues of online, self publishing, e-books etc, in fact most aspects of the internet are a bit of mystery to me.

Any suggestions on how to research these possibilities?

Hi,

There are quite few blogs about self publishing and the on the Smashwords website there is a Style guide on how to format your Word doc file so Smashwords can create the E-book for you. Once you have Uploaded your file Samsh words creates the e-book and it will appear on thier site and others almost right away.

The other cool thing is that you get 85% of every sale of your ebook.

The only thing you need to provide is the a front cover and there are quite few people that sell front covers for e-book.

Regards

Data001

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

26 Dec 2014, 4:06 pm

A lot of famous and successful authors have been rejected many times before finally making it. There's one really successful author (Was it Stephen King? How could I forget?) that was rejected 75 times before making it big. You just have to keep on trying. Also, I've heard it's easier to get in with the small publishing companies compared to the large scale ones in which you need an agent.
There are blogs out there to show you have a potential audience of buyers. Also, from Writer's Digest, I bought a book with a huge list of publishers and agents throughout the nation listed in the very back of the book. The only thing annoying about Writer's Digest, though, is all of the stuff they keep on trying to sale to you once you purchase from them. (There's one thing that I think might be a pyramid scheme, which is called the B2B Market, or Barefoot Writer's Market.)