Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

57gentlemens
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2009, 8:06 pm

I am a big fan of Hamlet (and Shakespeare's works in general), and it has always been my favorite book because I felt hugely connected to Hamlet himself - now that I know that I have AS, I wondered if Hamlet has connections to us.

So, what are your thoughts?

Is Hamlet an Aspie, or does he at least share some characteristics?

I for one think that he has some similarities but is only halfway there. His character, however, seems to appeal to Aspies in particular.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 9:08 pm

You can't understand Hamlet until you've read it in the original Klingon...;)

I dunno..sounds like a good term paper subject.

whitchry9
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2012, 6:56 pm

I was actually pondering this myself. As he was portrayed at the beginning of the David Tennant version, I was somewhat suspicious that he had an ASD. While I'm not sure now if he is, he is most appealing as a character.
However I'm almost sure he is bipolar. I got to do an entire project on it. Very fun.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:25 am

whitchry9 wrote:
I was actually pondering this myself. As he was portrayed at the beginning of the David Tennant version, I was somewhat suspicious that he had an ASD. While I'm not sure now if he is, he is most appealing as a character.
However I'm almost sure he is bipolar. I got to do an entire project on it. Very fun.

I sort of go with the bi-polar thing, myself.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 6:12 am

Been a long while since I've read Hamlet, but I'd say the character of Horatio is more likely AS.

from the Wikipedia article on Horatio:

Not only is Horatio loyal and supportive, but he is also rational.

Horatio is present through most of the major scenes of the play, but Hamlet is usually the only person to acknowledge that he is present; when other characters address him, they are almost always telling him to leave

natibbkf
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2014, 6:30 pm

Some attributes I've read people with Asperger's have:
-Tendency to over-analyze problems and social interactions after the fact
-Despite the above, many have a tendency to be impulsive--which bleeds into saying things before thinking about them
-Awkward in relating to NTs
-Tendency to say exactly what's on their mind, despite of its appropriateness
-Comorbid conditions such as depression, anxiety
-Tendency towards negative thinking, probably due to depression/anxiety
-Obsessing, and in an individual with comorbid depression, obsessing about death

I feel like Hamlet displays all of the above qualities, and more (its been a while since I've read it). Through the play he is busy over-analyzing his problems/social interactions (so much so that that is his tragic flaw). The few times he manages to bring himself to action he does so impulsively and suffers the consequences. His interactions with his Mother, Ophelia, and others are humorously awkward throughout the play. He's constantly speaking his mind--which is hilarious, especially with the puns--though no one pays him any mind it seems. He's obviously going through depression and/or anxiety issues throughout the play (though its likely just due to his father's untimely death, it may also be due to a life-time of awkward interactions with others, and the inability to understand and be understood by NTs). He spends most of the play moping and letting his thoughts travel toward negativity. And of course, the entire play is about him obsessing about death. Mind you, other non-Aspies could have all of these traits, but its still an interesting connection.

Dedalus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 May 2014, 6:31 pm

I do have a friend I've long suspected is an undiagnosed aspie, and he frequently compares himself to Hamlet.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 7:26 am

Hamlet was haunted, then murdered, then driven mad, then killed
I hope he has nothing to do with any aspy!