Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2014, 9:15 pm

I'm only listing two right now. I listen to them often.

Forbidden "Distortion"

Nevermore "Dreaming Neon Black"

It has a lot to do with vocals. Both albums feature actual singing over heavy riffing.

Warrell Dane of Nevermore is often overshadowed by Jeff Loomis (guitarist). But Dane's vocals are why people either love or hate the band, which artistically, is a sign of true success.

Tim Calvert co wrote both of these albums and is my favorite guitarist of all time. The leads are like nothing else I've heard before (especially on Distortion). Both albums have a progressive element but also brutality and an atonal nature. It is a challenge to sing along with either album as their vocal ranges are immense. I can't say enough how much I love these bands. And neither can be classified. By the way, I became obsessed with Nevermore after seeing them on the first leg of their Dreaming Neon Black tour. I was with friends and they made fun of his vocals as being "homosexual" sounding. How paradox can you be, inserting what people hear as homosexual over the top of brutal atonal riffage.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2014, 12:41 pm

Forbidden Distortion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCWD-H ... uSnctEOnRO

Nevermore The Death of Passion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYziVAzWJXo

What do you people think? Hate it? Love It? Meh? Labels?

Please share stuff you feel eludes labeling.

T1nd1v1dual
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Dec 2014, 9:16 pm

Sigh's 'Imaginary Soundscapes'
Mastodon's 'Crack the Skye' (hints of old school prog rock, "poppy" melodies, ambient sections)
Devin Townsend's 'Terria'

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2014, 5:42 pm

T1nd1v1dual wrote:
Sigh's 'Imaginary Soundscapes'
Mastodon's 'Crack the Skye' (hints of old school prog rock, "poppy" melodies, ambient sections)
Devin Townsend's 'Terria'

The Mastadon album is especially unique to me. I haven't had a chance to listen to any of the Devin Townsend album yet. What's amazing is that just about every metalhead has at least heard of Mastadon. But how can you copy a band and start a new micro genre when the band is so unpredictable.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 4:24 pm

Anekdoten Gravity is pretty interesting. Porcupine Tree are certainly worth giving a listen.

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2014, 11:06 pm

Elegy- Forbidden Fruit

Carcass- Swansong (Rot n' Roll) Heartwork (no longer grindcore)

Sculptured- The Spear Of The Lily Is Aureoled and Apollo Ends (metal with brass)

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2014, 11:14 pm

Ectryon wrote:
Anekdoten Gravity is pretty interesting. Porcupine Tree are certainly worth giving a listen.

Anekdoten Gravity IS interesting. Good listen. I will have to listen to more from them.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2014, 11:17 pm

Ice Age- The Great Divide

Faith No More- Introduce Yourself (love the drugged out sounding vocals and spacey punk sound)

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2014, 11:19 pm

Almost forgot one truly bizarre album

Galactic Cowboys- Space in Your Face

Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 4:51 am

devin townsend project's deconstruction is the first thing that came to mind for me.

it's so.. bizarre. but i love it.