Do people with Aspeger's listen to old music?

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2015, 5:57 pm

I am just curious because I am 22 and I love 80s music. Most people my age listen to today's music. I also like a lot of songs from the 60s and 70s. I know that Elliot Rodger, the Santa Barbara shooter who had Asperger's, listened to 80s music so I was wondering if aspies tend to listen to music that is from before their generation. I've always enjoyed classic music even as a kid. I can't stand most of the crap that is out now. A lot of teenagers and young adults listen to all that rap crap and people who cannot sing. I've never been into that. I've always enjoyed 80s music and music not from my generation.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:06 pm

I listen to lots of old music...and quite a lot of new music, but not the sh*t you hear on the radio.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:10 pm

I listen to classic and music from 2000-2008, it makes me nostalgic, music nowadays is sh***y :eew:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:11 pm

There's actually a lot of good music being made nowadays, you just have to look past all the mainstream crap. Now, that being said, most of the music I listen to is from the 80s and 90s.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm

I'm 32, but have long been mocked by family for listening to "old" music. In my pre-teens and teenage years this included lots of blues, punk music, "indie" music, and 60s stuff like the Beach Boys, Burt Bacharach, and Phil Spector. This was in the era of Limp Bizkit. You can imagine how that went. I have no problem with music from any era, though also hate the radio.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:17 pm

I like early eighties synth and 60's blues

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:22 pm

I listen to everything, but I do have a fondness for jazz and bebop, Big Band Music and the torch songs of WWII, all of which predate my generation by decades. One of my favorites is a singer from the 1920s, named Annette Hanshaw, who ended most of her records with "That's all!"

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 3:00 am

Mainly old music indeed, but that is becouse todays mainstream interacts badly with my sensory issues (autotune hurts my ears, and dubstep elements cause epilleptic seisures), so 90% of what's on the radio is 'bad'.

not that all old music is good, nor is all modern bad, but old school mainstream is a lot better than modern mainstream, and mainstream music is just easier to find.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 12:36 pm

I listen to 60's genres from British Invasion, girl groups, Garage Rock, Acid/Psychedelic Rock, Motown, stax. I was alive but not much aware of then current rock and pop until the very end of the decade so a lot of these genres occurred just before that.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Right now I'm listening to "Welcome to Hell" by Venom. Old school black metal, from before the term was even coined! 8)

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 11:09 pm

I don't listen to old music, I listen to timeless music.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Apr 2015, 1:00 am

I like some music from the 70s, I like 80s, 90s, & some stuff from today.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Apr 2015, 1:43 am

I can only speak for myself but generally I listen to very little music made in the last 15 years.

ZombyWoof
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2015, 2:20 pm

i certainly mostly listen to stuff from the 30s-70s.
it's a shame there's so much wasted potential. my ears literally can't stand the sound of most modern stuff, even when the songwriting or the musicianship is really good. As for the wasted potential, right now new-ish techniques are just slapped on something to make it sound radio-friendly. No effort is made to use them as part of a greater picture by most artists. In other words, throw your radio out of the window and support your independent (not to be confused with "indie", that's a marketing scheme) artists. They are where the inventiveness is found. I mean, i know popular music was never the most inventive, but it really has gotten worse, and harsh eq, heavy compression, melodyne/autotune and carelessness in using them is what makes them unlistenable to me. When you listen to your average Top 10 artist, there's no real resonance to the sound, there's no life. There's a sterile, yet distorted sheen. It all sounds like something vaguely resembling music pressed out of a tube. It all sounds too deliberate, too forced, too by-the-numbers. Nothing natural about the sound OR the compositions. And then there's the sloppy mixing obviously done because Joe Public doesn't notice. Obvious punch-ins, repeat edits, jumps and comping that could've been made less obvious.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 2:36 pm

I'm a mix, I like both modern music and music from the 60s and 70s.

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2015, 3:01 pm

I personally love listening to old music. I'm into 60's and 70's bands right now, which is pretty interesting, because I never really listened to them before (not as much as I do now). I actually think it's a matter of personal preference whether people with Aspergers listen to old music or not. :D