Page 4 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 9:04 pm

I've basically replaced my amps with two preamp pedals:

PLXfx Spirytus

Master Effects Martyr

It's like having an Ampeg VH-140 and a Marshall Valvestate 8100 in stereo. Peak '90s death metal tone. Perfect for the sort of punk I like to play. :twisted:

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 3:42 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Been playing for around 23 years, just messing around at home by myself but I can do ok. I mostly play acoustic but I do have a Squire Strat with a couple of pedals that i get out once in a while for some fun.

Also bought a piano recently so learning that. Amazing how having guitar/instrument knowledge makes learning the piano seem pretty straight forward.

Guitar is the best instrument for learning how harmony works. I played the piano for 15 years before I took up the guitar, and was constantly struggling to write music all that time- I had melodies but just could not get the harmony to work. Guitar technique kind of hands the chords to you as easily-memorised little units that you can try out in different orders. After a few years of writing songs on guitar, my keyboard harmony started to improve too.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 1:10 pm

No, I don't need it. Doesn't mean I don't want it. :mrgreen:

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2020, 1:34 pm

If I had a dream item to go in my setup it would be this:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 1:58 pm

anybody here have a "hero" of the guitar? for me it was chet atkins tied with ry cooder, both had in common a mastery of the technical aspects of guitar design and tweaking of same.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 2:40 pm

I've been playing an acoustic steel string guitar for about 11 years. I find it a great stress reliever.

I'd rank my ability at reasonably competent.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 3:08 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I've been playing an acoustic steel string guitar for about 11 years. I find it a great stress reliever. I'd rank my ability at reasonably competent.

:wtg: do you have a fave guitarist?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 3:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I've been playing an acoustic steel string guitar for about 11 years. I find it a great stress reliever. I'd rank my ability at reasonably competent.

:wtg: do you have a fave guitarist?

These two spring to mind. I'm terribly competent as a lead player myself, though.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 3:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
anybody here have a "hero" of the guitar? for me it was chet atkins tied with ry cooder, both had in common a mastery of the technical aspects of guitar design and tweaking of same.

Scott Hull, Kurt Ballou, Will Killingsworth, Fenriz, Yannick Lorrain, Terrance Hobbs.

Apparently for ~$100 I can have Will Killingsworth master 20 minutes of my music, or ~$160 for 40 minutes. Sounds like an obvious worthwhile investment. :nerdy:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 8:04 pm

who here thinks this guy is the heir to chet atkins?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 3:31 pm

Has anyone ordered from StringJoy before? I ordered a custom string set for my ORM and another one for my 7 string. I like that it makes it easy to order odd ball sizes.

25.5" scale 7 string:

String 1:
String 2:
String 3:
.020w
String 4:
String 5:
String 6:
String 7:

24" scale 6 string:

String 1:
String 2:
String 3:
.020w
String 4:
String 5:
String 6:

:nerdy:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 8:03 pm

I am taking a masterclass by Carlos Santana about the heart and soul of the guitar. I don’t play the guitar but what he is teaching applies to all music.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 8:10 pm

^^^that sounds fascinating, is he applying some sort of metaphysical meaning to the guitar?

dpcraig
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Nov 2020, 12:15 pm

I play guitar and bass and have been in a few decently working bands. I do know about stringjoy and love them. I don't buy strings through anyone else, since.

Two of my three guitars shouldn't exist. One is supposed to be a Squier Bullett strat...but it is a misprinted TexMex SRV copy that was very costly to them and sold for $169.00 Their loss, haha. The second guitar is a prototype Washburn idol series that was made for Scott Ian, but he didn't like it and had a roadie trade it into Guitar Center where I live, and I bought it for $260.00 His trash is my treasure because it sounds great. Supposedly, he just hated the body style. I do have Squier and Washburn emails confirming both claims, if I wish to sell them. The third guitar is an Ibanez 7 string, and I just purchased it about a year ago. I don't know why I waited so long. I love it.

My bass is a short scale, but it sounds amazing. Neodymium pickups are the greatest upgrade to instruments I have ever heard.

Fender Mustang 3 v.2 for guitar. Fender Rumble 500 for bass. Both are very loud and clear and full of tones that don't make sense for their sizes. Again, neodymium magnets in the speakers make a huge difference.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 7:15 am

He's not what you'd conventionally call a "guitar hero", but I learned to play by covering early Leonard Cohen songs! I just really like that spidery fingerpicking style.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 12:50 pm

So, this arrived today. I've got two other 'boutique' preamps/dirtboxes on the way as well. I'm not sure why I love collecting gear so much, it's kind of an addiction. :nerdy: