Would people still hate J.K. Rowling if she wasn't a TERF?

Page 3 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 6:56 pm

I think the writing for Martin and Tolkien is clear although formal which is appropriate for high fantasy. I don’t find it remotely challenging although we are all different in that respect.

Writers are typically inspired by earlier works/writers. I tend to think of literature as an ongoing dialogue rather than a collection of distinct, separate entities.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 7:02 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Writers are typically inspired by earlier works/writers. I tend to think of literature as an ongoing dialogue rather than a collection of distinct, separate entities.

If we are talking fictional literature then I think of it as a journey into our collective imaginations. I am often curious how English language literature is processed in non-western cultures? I imagine the stories are relatable once they are translated and characters universal.

Interestingly of all non-western foreign language literature, art, animation and movies, Japanese seems to be the most popular.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 7:11 pm

Since I can read in Spanish and French, I’ve read a lot of Spanish, Latin American, and French literature. I’ve also read translations of Russian works and enjoyed what I read as much as I would if they were English/American. I do think there is a universal element to literature. Of course, it might have more to do with the fact that people aren’t that different from each other. I don’t think I’ve encountered anything that I couldn’t relate to in some way.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 7:24 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
Then there was Hermione. When the cursed child came out, there was a black actress playing Hermione. So, when the Internet complained, she tried to claim that she'd always written Hermione to be racially ambiguous in skin tone. Which is false. In the books, she is described as looking pale and that her face turned white / the colour drained from her face. To which she tried to claim that was just a way of showing that Hermione was shocked - but, no, even so you wouldn't describe a person who possibly has a dark skin tone looking shocked that way.

JK Rowling did actually address this in an interview
Rowling said: “I had a bunch of racists telling me that because Hermione ‘turned white’ – that is, lost colour from her face after a shock – that she must be a white woman, which I have a great deal of difficulty with. But I decided not to get too agitated about it and simply state quite firmly that Hermione can be a black woman with my absolute blessing and enthusiasm.”
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/ ... k-hermione

I've seen the theatre production in Melbourne and the actress playing Hermoine, Noma Dumezweni was the stand out performance. She was head and shoulders above the other cast.

The question of canon was also addressed - Rowling has pointed out that there is no reason why Hermione should be white. Therefore casting for the role was open to women of all backgrounds. After the casting call, Dumezwemi was the best candidate for the role.

I believe the same happened when casting for the role of Ariel in Disney's Little Mermaid. Disney went with Haile Bailey for the same reason. she was the most talented candidate and her singing voice went perfectly with a "Disney princess:" like Ariel would sound like. Even the most ardent critics of her casting never dared say anything about her singing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the casting personally. I don't think it matters. Rather, I brought it up because I know that's something others criticised (in response to the question of this thread). However, I disagree with her that it's inherently racist to say that 'turned white' would imply a pale complexion. That's not to say that I'm complaining about the change. I know some fans get caught up on the physical appearance of characters when it comes to adaptations. Personally for me though what matters most is if an adaptation captures the spirit of what it is adapting. The style of dialogue, the humour, the overarching themes and so on. That's what's important.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 9:36 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Since I can read in Spanish and French, I’ve read a lot of Spanish, Latin American, and French literature. I’ve also read translations of Russian works and enjoyed what I read as much as I would if they were English/American. I do think there is a universal element to literature. Of course, it might have more to do with the fact that people aren’t that different from each other. I don’t think I’ve encountered anything that I couldn’t relate to in some way.

I think European literature is much the same (broadly). Russian authors are tremendously popular in the west. Tolstoy, Nabakov etc....

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 9:45 pm

I wouldn’t say it’s “much the same.” There’s quite a bit of cultural diversity in Europe.

Latin American literature is similarly relatable and diverse in my opinion. I’ve read the work of writers from Argentina, Cuba, Mexico, and Colombia. Magical realism is one of my favorite genres.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 9:46 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Personally for me though what matters most is if an adaptation captures the spirit of what it is adapting. The style of dialogue, the humour, the overarching themes and so on. That's what's important.

hmmm I think that's reasonable. Yes you touch on one valid point. Emma Watson's character of Hermoine in the HP franchise was quite perky in her mannerisms and quick witted which was quite endearing to many of her fans. I have to admit this wasn't something I remember with Noma's Hermoine but then again Noma's Hermoine is much older.

The same with Ashoka in Star wars, Ashley Eckstein's child Ashoka was perky and savvy, whereas Rosario Dawson's Ashoka seemed more laid back and understated. Again the reason might be down to the age of the characters.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 9:49 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I wouldn’t say it’s “much the same.” There’s quite a bit of cultural diversity in Europe.

Latin American literature is similarly relatable and diverse in my opinion. I’ve read the work of writers from Argentina, Cuba, Mexico, and Colombia. Magical realism is one of my favorite genres.

Same in terms of relatabilty . The court of Catherine the Great isn't much different to that of Louis XVIII so many cultural references are common in older literature. Post-communism I can imagine does cast a different shadow.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 9:54 pm

Have you read a lot of Russian, French, and Spanish literature? There’s a great deal of cultural diversity even if a specific government is similar to another during a given time period. There are also cultural differences within countries.

Literature is relatable because we’re all human. Literary works tend to be universal because they say something about the human experience.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 11:45 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Have you read a lot of Russian, French, and Spanish literature? There’s a great deal of cultural diversity even if a specific government is similar to another during a given time period. There are also cultural differences within countries.

Literature is relatable because we’re all human. Literary works tend to be universal because they say something about the human experience.

Yes but we are talking differences in diversity then a Spanish, Russian and French social setting is more likely relatable to members of these three societies > Indian, Japanese or African

One of the common themes in literature is transformation. Any good story is transformative in some way to both the character and the reader.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 11:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Yes but we are talking differences in diversity then a Spanish, Russian and French social setting is more likely relatable to members of these three societies > Indian, Japanese or African.

Spanish speakers, in particular, are incredibly diverse. People are people pretty much anywhere, except when they are alien-human hybrids or lizard people.

Many people in the West find Japanese literature highly relatable. My brother certainly does. I've not read any Japanese work since high school although I've been toying with the idea of learning Japanese for a few years. I want my next language to have a different writing system, and I find Japanese culture, history, and art appealing.

"Good stories" do not always involve transformation although, perhaps, your concept of what constitutes a "good story" does. Sometimes they are a snapshot of life or of a particular moment which says something about the human experience.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 4:26 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Spanish speakers, in particular, are incredibly diverse. People are people pretty much anywhere, except when they are alien-human hybrids or lizard people.

Shout out to the greys

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 4:36 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Many people in the West find Japanese literature highly relatable. My brother certainly does. I've not read any Japanese work since high school although I've been toying with the idea of learning Japanese for a few years. I want my next language to have a different writing system, and I find Japanese culture, history, and art appealing.

I am by no means a language expert but I have lived in Asia for long periods and spoke a couple of Asian languages (I am rusty now). Please note that what your brother is reading is English translations of Japanese literature. Modern Japanese literature (post-WWII) is largely a re-translation of European literature but through Japanese eyes.

In the collectivist societies I mentioned, traditional stories created for entertainment were folk/village tales (whether it be African, Chinese, Japanese, Indian etc). They didn't have novels or books in the European tradition which were written as works of romance or great adventures coinciding with the colonial era. Folk tales in these regions usually have deeper spiritual lessons that were infact transformative, Quite unlike European folk tales which involved cutting off tails of three blind mice or witches eating children.

In this sense European literature is quite different to the mindsets of non-western people. But we live in a post-colonial world where literature written in all languages follow narratives taken from Hollywood or European literature classics. Thus stories are no longer culturally embedded but are indeed becoming more universal but definitely following European literary traditions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 4:40 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
"Good stories" do not always involve transformation although, perhaps, your concept of what constitutes a "good story" does. Sometimes they are a snapshot of life or of a particular moment which says something about the human experience.

I kind of understand what you are saying, but even a snapshot of human experience can be transformative. They are meant to give the reader room to reflect and explore their own experience but also open their minds to other's experiences they haven't yet experienced themselves. Literature has value in providing opportunity for people who can't travel or who don't want to visit certain places to experience life through other people's eyes.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 5:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Please note that what your brother is reading is English translations of Japanese literature. Modern Japanese literature (post-WWII) is largely a re-translation of European literature but through Japanese eyes.

Please note that you do not know what my brother has or hasn’t read.
cyberdad wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

I kind of understand what you are saying, but even a snapshot of human experience can be transformative.

:|

I never claimed otherwise.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 5:23 pm

A comparison of Martin to Chaucer:

Not very similar. One is quite comprehensible to the average reader; the other is not.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 11 Jan 2024, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.