Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

tbone82
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2007, 10:01 am

I meant cool as in, things that are generally used in rock/pop music...guitar, bass, drums, keyboard. I'm not good at any of those.

I've played all the wind instruments before since, like a previous poster, I did my bachelor's degree in music education. I own trombones, a euphonium, a trumpet, and a clarinet, but the only ones I play regularly are trombone and sometimes euphonium. I was decent at all the other brass instruments, bassoon, clarinet, and saxophone back in the day...not quite so good at flute and oboe range-wise. And voilin was atrocious.

One time I tried to learn classical guitar on my own and got to about page 10 of the book I bought before I just ran out of time to practice it. Maybe someday.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 10:50 am

I play...

Piano - A big old upright Knight, not sure how old but our guess is circa 1950s-1960s-ish. Really nice, warm tone and stays pretty well in tune.

Guitars -

Acoustic - a cheap Yamaha, but again the tone is quite nice so it's nothing to complain about!
Electric - Fender Telecaster with a nice big Orange amp
And a silly old ukulele. :D

Wind -
Clarinet (not sure what make it is, I'm not very good)
Didgeridoo - a crappy bamboo one I bought off some homeless guy one day, haha. Good n loud.
Bamboo flute - from central America, much like a recorder but not as pitch-perfect
Flute - whatever my boyfriend has, I just steal his and make noise... not very nice noise.

Keyboards -
An old Casio
Plus my friend's Korg synth.

I'm best at piano and then guitar, but I'll play just about anything that gets thrown in front of me. I'm very musical - my whole family is, all my friends are, and my life revolves around music as a journalist, so I tend to play quite a few things to a pretty average level or better.

Almondo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2007, 6:17 pm

GIBSON-Thunderbird IV-Bass guitar
Fender-Jaguar
Yamaha-Baritone-301m (tenor tuba)
Behringer Bass

johnpipe108
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2007, 7:03 am

I have one set of ivory mounted Great Highland Bagpipes, R.G. Hardie, original Ivory Sole Blackwood Hardie Chanter (Sweet), made in 1966. I used to be a piper with the Celtic Pipe Band of Rochester NY, and I used to compete in the grade 3 solo contests in Ontario in the late '60s. I took this with me to Europe for my family reunion there., but I took a set of non-ivory Hardie drones I borrowed from John Pedersen at Amazing Grace and my sole-less blackwood competition chanter by Jack Dunbar, so as to not run afoul of American customs when bringing home my own property that I took abroad with me; under the ivory restrictions, if you run afoul of a random incoming customs inspection, and have ANYTHING with un-documented ivory on it, you lose it!

One Irish Uilleann Pipe half-set of my own make, in cocobolo, in 1983, and I belong to the San Francisco Piper's Club.

One low-serial number Ludwig "CAPITOL" tenor banjo with scalloped tone-ring and wood resonator, strung Irish style, G, D, A, E.

One Copeland brass low D whistle which I was fortunate to get many, many moons ago from Cody Grundy (there's usually some pretty respectable waiting lists for Copeland's work; all handmade of course).

Before I had to stop unessential WW projects to get ready for my first overseas trip last September to Marseille & London, I made a beginning on making a cocobolo copy of a set of Northumbrian Small Pipes that was originally made by J. Dunn for J. Peacock in the year 1797. I have some unusual shades of cocobolo and Brazilian rosewood that will go into this set, and I was fortunate to be given some small pieces of Mastodon ivory for the decorative drone ends.

I can play basic folk accompaniment on folk, classic and 12 string guitar, as well as play basic Irish style banjo. I used to have a Irish trio called "John PhilBert", or sometimes alternatively known as "The Irish Revelation of America" (a double-entendre -- the abreviation becomes "IRA", as in "those blackguards" as my late pipe teacher called them - he used to be in "the troubles" with Cathal Brugha, and Michael Collins, whom he personally trained in drill and musketry!

My Irish Warpipes teacher was the late Louis Noble, a student of Donald McKay, the famous piobreach player of the early 20th century who used to regularly beat Willy Ross of the Scots Guards, but was killed in a railway accident in the 1920's, due to which Louis didn't get to learn the "big music". Louis was all Ireland champion warpiper 1910 & 1914, and passed on in 1970.

Back in the 1970's, I was Pipe Sergeant for the Black Raven Pipe Band of San Francisco; we used to play for the Highland Games in Santa Rosa, the Royal British Legion, the Queen's Birthday Ball at the Fairmont, stuff like that. Good British brew at the beer tent!

Bom Shankar Bholenath! I do not "have a syndrome", nor do I "have a disorder," I am a "Natural Born Scholar!"

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2007, 8:15 am

I used to play the Trombone (spelled right?), I have an Acoustic guitar bought for £39 but I hardly can play it.
A few years ago I managed to play "Row, row you're boat" almost without notes in front of me.

SqrachMasda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2007, 8:25 pm

the turntables

other stuff too
but that's my favorite

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 1:07 am

Guitar..i have owned several over the years..but dont' currently have one...they all got stolen...granted...I don'tplay very well...

ukulele...I have an Ovation Applause..have been playing the Uke for about 4 years

Piano...but not very well...I have 3 acoustic and 1 digital and a Baldwin Fun Machine and an air organ...my dad sells pianos...that is how I aquired so many

I played clarinet in school...

For x-mas, flakey got me a singing saw

jshaw
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Dec 2007, 10:05 pm

Black and white Boston Fender P-Bass Copy, very very nice ;)

An a Boston 15 watt Bass amp.

Im lucky enough to be in a small local band with several of my mates, but our names a bit too rude to mention here! :D

Joe ;)

Isnt my photography gallery just fabulous? Have a look now if you like!

http://knight-of-cydonia.deviantart.com/

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2007, 5:37 am

Guitars;
Classical guitar of some description
Ibanez (I forget the exact model) electro-acoustic in black
Cheap stratocaster copy in sunburst
Ibanez JS100 in red
Peavey Wolfgang, custom model I won in a competition 6 years ago

Other instruments;
A small xylophone from the Early Learning Centre which I had when I was about 5 years old and I still use it now
A pair of maracas that my friend bought me from Toys R Us :lol:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 7:56 pm

oh...this is a dangerous question...;)

Guitars - Yamaha 6 string, 12 string too
Pro Aria 2 Electric
Ibanez Bass (electric)

Keyboards/modules
Korg M1, M3 (module), Poly 6
Crumar Tocatta
Moog Rogue
Keyboard controller for
Vintage Keys
Classic Keys
Microsynth
MicroBass
another module that makes noise (in storage...again..;)
Sampler (module, starts with an A...in storage...somewhere)
Alesis D4 drum module - for the electronic drums

Drums - Ludwig Accent 5-piece, Zildjian cymbals
Bongos, cowbell, 2 tambourines, and assorted noisemakers..;)

...and that doesn't include the Leslie or amps and cabinets...;)

TutuFairy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:35 pm

I have an electric guitar and a drum set, and my sister has an acoustic guitar, keyboard, and piano. I can play a little bit on the keyboard, but I play the drums. 8)

Oh wait, do you want the brands too? Well, my drums are Pacific, the piano is a Boston Steinway, the keyboard is Casio, the electric guitar is FirstAct, and the acoustic is a Silvertone.

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2008, 10:25 pm

electric guitar - squire strat

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

Location: A frozen baron wasteland, me and my friend tuk have to watch out for flying frozen hockey pucks Eh!

18 Jan 2008, 5:50 pm

I used to have a drumset, but sold it when i moved.

I'm looking forward to the day i can buy a new set.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 7:29 pm

i can play a ukulele very well. i've been known to keep rhythm.

blinder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Jan 2008, 1:23 pm

Guitar (Gibson SG Standard)
Drums (no present kit, mostly use a hybrid clavia ddrum4 kit with an alesis control pad with DFH Superior)
Bass (Washburn acoustic electric 4-string)
Keys (roland midi controller with Reason 4)

studio gear:
Digi 002 rack
Command 8 control panel
2 Presonus tube mic-pres
Pro Tools 7.3.x
Guitar Rig 3

i'm self taught in guitar (16 or so years), i've been playing drums for about 22 years, took many years of lessons. self taught bass and am currently teaching myself piano. that's going slow :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 1:50 pm