How are the bands that you interested in, linked?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 2:45 am

I know that Suicide and David Bowie influenced Gary Numan, and that Gary Numan influenced NIN. Wire influenced Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Big Black, Naked Raygun, and Black Flag and Black Flag influenced the Melvins (And Flipper), the Melvins have collaborated with Lustmord and Jello Biafra. Joy Division influenced a lot of Goth bands, as did David Bowie. Robert Smith once worked with Siouxsie Sioux in a band called "The Glove", The Cure's song "A Strange Day is covered by another Goth band called "Strange Boutique" who seem to be named after an old Post-punk band's album called "The Strange Boutique". Slint and Talk Talk influenced Post Rock I think. The Sisters of Mercy influenced a series of Goth bands that played exactly like they did ("The Wake" and "Rosetta's Stone"). Siouxsie and the Banshees have been covered by Corpus Delicti, and Switchblade Symphony. Rage Against the Machine has covered both The Stooges and The Rolling Stones. Pink Floyd has been covered several times by The Sisters of Mercy live. Jello Biafra has indicated that he likes both Pere Ubu, The Stooges both also had some influence on Goth (He also likes Burning Image which was a Goth band). Nouvelle Vague has covered The Wake, Bauhaus, The Cramps, The Lords of the New Church, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and Echo & the Bunnymen. The Birthday Party has influenced the Swans who influenced Halo who were also influenced by the Melvins. Free Jazz has influenced the No Wave movement, I like a couple of artists from both. Ministry has a song called "(Everday Is) Halloween". Love Like Blood, another Goth band has covered Fields of the Nephilim, The Sisters of Mercy, Pardise Lost, Killing Joke, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cult, Christian Death, Bauhaus, and Joy Division. Leonard Cohen is also a big influence on Goth.

Amebix has influenced a lot of Crust Punk bands but also a lot of Doom Metal bands, the later of which have also been influenced by Acid Bath. Siouxsie and the Banshees, along with Alien Sex Fiend influenced The Naked and the Dead. Joe Strummer used to sing for both The Pogues and The Clash. The Stooges have aslo been covered by The Damned. Black Sabbath has been covered by Danzig. Davis Bowie worked with Iggy Pop on "The Idiot", Iggy Pop used to be the lead singer for The Stooges. David Bowie covered Jacques Brel, Lou Reed and Tom Verlaine (The second one used to be in The Velvet Underground and the third was in Television). Both "Earth" and Sun Ra influenced Sunn O))). Black Sabbath has also been covered by Electric Wizard. Faith and the Muse has covered The Chameleons, and Bauhaus. Faith No More has also covered Black Sabbath. Gang of Four has influenced a lot of "Nu Metal" bands, which may include Rage Against the Machine. According to Wikipedi Swans is influenced by Big Black, Swans, Killing Joke, Throbbing Gristle, and Black Sabbath, and has influenced Isis and Ministry. Alice Cooper has been covered on "Seig Howdy" a collaberation between the Melvins and Jello Biafra, the lead singer from The Naked and the Dead is also a fan of Alice Cooper. NoMeansNo have also collaborated with Jello Biafra. The Kovenant are fans of Friedrich Nietzsche, just thought I'd like to note that. :wink:

"I'm not ready for f*****g politics because I realize what a lie the whole arena is. That's what is ultimately frustrating but that's what ultimately forces me to continue to create, especially because in this age of placation, who are the protesters? What do we have? Me and Jello Biafra? Who's the voice of reason? How did we get so far afield from the ideology of the '60s? In the '70s, I saw activism turn into apathy. Then the greed of the '80s and I don't even know what we should call this f*****g decade. The decade of struggle. There is so much to struggle against. There is so much to make you stressed out." - Lydia Lunch

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Last edited by Deus_ex_machina on 08 Dec 2007, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2007, 3:52 am

6 Degrees of Pink Floyd.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 5:45 am

Pixies inspired every good band, with the exception of those who were around before the Pixies.

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 6:45 am

Basshead wrote:
Pixies inspired every good band, with the exception of those who were around before the Pixies.

Damn, I should have mentioned that then. :P

I should also have mentioned The Legendary Pink Dots and their massive contribution. Oooooooh, and Portishead and Massive Attack, both of which contributed to Trip Hop, although I don't know how much.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 6:58 am

Here Are My Top 10 Artists:

- New Order
- Madness
- The Prodigy
- Metallica
- Slayer
- Machine Head
- Iron Maiden
- Slipknot
- Underworld
- System of A Down

Big names pretty much influenced them all, and of course, they did likewise to many fresh faces. ;)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 8:29 am

They're all British.

alei
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2007, 9:10 am

They are all unique. None of them sound like anything else in the genre they are most closely associated with.

My artistic side: aleigirl.deviantart.com

My ramblings and insights on being an adult with Asperger's: http://alei-cat.blogspot.com/

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 9:50 am

My favourite bands are linked by individuality, heart, eclecticism and progression. Pink Floyd, Eminem, Wilco, Blur, Radiohead, Joy Division/New Order, Hope of the States, Refused...

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 10:41 am

Most of my favorite groups and singers are from the 1950s and 1960s.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 10:54 am

Maybe I should have specified this, but I was going for links in terms of influence. You know, covers, "I like that band" statements, that sort of thing, which is why I went as far as two paragraphs to list artists that were influenced by other Artists that I like and covers of songs I like by Artists I like.

Of course one of my obsessions is the music I like and I can't expect other people to have that same level of interest but still. Isn't there anyone who can go into the detail that I did?! :(

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 8:39 pm

Yes, I can, just not this second. I'll be back tomorrow. Music is my obsession too. It consumes my life. Gigs, writing, listening, analysing, writing about, arranging, recording, singing, playing, organising, alphabetising, philosophising.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2007, 9:39 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
Yes, I can, just not this second. I'll be back tomorrow. Music is my obsession too. It consumes my life. Gigs, writing, listening, analysing, writing about, arranging, recording, singing, playing, organising, alphabetising, philosophising.

Hmmm well I'm not looking to be the next John Peel, I just listen to the bands I like, learn about their background, their peers, their influences and those they've influenced.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 9:11 am

I do that too. I learn abotu their background and peers and influences and their own influence - but I also learn when they recorded their albums, how they were recorded, produced, mixed and released (and who did all that), re-released, what songs were left off or put on later albums instead, best-ofs, new material. I could tell you the year of release of every CD in my collection. I'm a music junkie.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Dec 2007, 1:15 pm

they all play loud heavy and fast! :D

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 2:02 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:

You sound like me. Music controls me... I am the music.

I won't link mine in the way of the first post, as there are simply too many bands I like who are all very inter-connected in different ways, and to even attempt to envisage all the different links would probably make my head explode. Also, I've been to gigs 4 nights in a row and my mind needs a break now.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 11:22 am

JohnHopkins wrote:
I do that too. I learn abotu their background and peers and influences and their own influence - but I also learn when they recorded their albums, how they were recorded, produced, mixed and released (and who did all that), re-released, what songs were left off or put on later albums instead, best-ofs, new material. I could tell you the year of release of every CD in my collection. I'm a music junkie.

That level of detail is a little beyond me, since I'm notoriously bad with little things like when such and such happened.