Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 3:22 pm

This is chills down the spine, tears in the eye's stuff for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltiY-BqvOIU[/youtube]

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 3:27 pm

Oh yeah, I LOVE that one! I'm not sure what my current personal favourite is, but it's probably "White Christmas". It keeps going on in my head.

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 3:29 pm

mightyzebra wrote:
Oh yeah, I LOVE that one! I'm not sure what my current personal favourite is, but it's probably "White Christmas". It keeps going on in my head.

I don't seem to enjoy christmas anymore but any christmassy' songs make me feel good, I like White Christmas too.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 3:52 pm

I'll stick with 'Don't Shoot me Santa'

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

Last edited by Basshead on 21 Dec 2007, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 3:55 pm

Thank God for Irving Berlin...he was a music genius.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 4:13 pm

The only one I really listen to much:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-eslNwGXrI[/youtube]

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 4:56 pm

Hard to pick the best, so here's a couple of lists in order (sorry)

Serious Ones
1. Where are you Christmas - Faith Hill
2. So this is Christmas - John Lennon
3. Greensleeves - Charlotte Church Version
4. Six White Boomers - Rolf Harris
5. What's this! From Nightmare Before Christmas - Danny Elfman
6. Little Drummer Boy - by anyone

Quote:
Not Quite So Serious Ones...

1. Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo - South Park
2. Merry F.ck1ng Christmas - South Park
3. I'm a Lonely Jew on Christmas - South Park
4. Oh Holy Night (with shock therapy) - South Park
5. A variation on Jingle Bell Rock that is downright disgusting but I can't get it out of my head.
6. Frosty the Pervert

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 10:40 pm

Dunno if it's the BEST, but it's the only one I made myself, with my very best wishes for Christmas: :santa:

http://www.mp3crib.com/users/476-blitze ... _nacht.mp3 (I wrote it and own the copyright, so copy, distribute, hike it up the billboard Top 40 - whatever :D )

It will soon be Christmas, before you know it.

"Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" - "Silent Night, holy night" my favorite carol of all time. It has a story. Apparently a little church somewhere the German speaking world was stricken by some kind of acute organ failure hours before Christmas. I don't know whether the organ failed within the church, or within the organist, but whichever, it was serious trouble. The Preacher got together with someone who played the guitar, or maybe he did himself, and within a few hours one of the most beautiful carols of all time was being sung, to a guitar.

I do not know how true that story is. My ex told it too me on Christmas night, last year. However the inspiration for "Heilige Nacht" preceded the telling of that story by some 18 hours.

Leading up to last Christmas it was all-out KALTKREIG!

Formal speaking terms only, a lot of listening to the old grandfather clock tick.

I think I miss that old clock more than I ever missed him. I had painstakingly restored the chimes, then gone over it with a fine tooth comb until I found and fixed the minute loose spring that had sentenced it to stand silent and still for years for the crime of making deeply weird noises at even weirder hours. Striking 13 would have been a relatively functional behavior before I began the therapy. I had to redamper it too, in case the people of the village of Schwarzhausen across the river did not appreciate the tone as much as I did. By the time I left it was keeping something like time for as long as 72 hours.

Christmas Eve came, as bad any ordinary day. The bells rang out at midnight, like I never heard bells before in my life. They were SO BEAUTIFUL, but nothing changed. I fell apart, it was exquisite heartbreak.

For some reason, around 3am, we seemed to make some kind of connection, as if it was all going to be fine after all. Too late for the bells, and Hollywood-style pat perfection, though.

At first I could hardly believe my ears, at 3:30am in the distance, another peal of bells began. They rang for an hour. There is no tradition or precedent for this. I never did learn the explanation. The Swiss are REALLY resistant to noise outside certain hours. There are even laws restricting it.

It was as if I had REALLY got a Christmas miracle, the one I'd longed for since I was a child and never had. Something that would make it all right, balance the hurt of the years, something to be glad to be alive for.

It was only another illusion, of course. I think I left within 3 weeks.

Anyway, I found a funny little melody hiding down the cracks of tiny "virtual keyboard".

Ever wonder how I come up with melodies?

I always wondered how people did. Now I have fallen into a pattern.

I mess with a tiny "virtual keyboard" on screen. Then, maybe after ten seconds, or 2 hours I HAVE FOUND ONE. Go diving for an old empty diary, 1985, and frantically scribble down the note sequence. I can write on a clef but I can't be bothered ruling the lines. One day I must invest in some sheet manuscript paper, ready ruled.

Once I have found a melody, the REAL work begins on the sequencer. I can't quite "sight" read or write music yet, though I get better every time, so the next step is to work out the timing of the notes on the sequencer program. I could do it on a clef, but it's smaller and not so graphic to my mind. The basic melody for "Heilige Nacht" is six bars with a second variation that makes twelve. I usually work in fours and eights for some reason, but this one is different.

When I have that basic melody, it's time to dress it up, listen to what the melody is trying say, and where it wants to go. "Heilige Nacht" insisted on going to some wonderful places and bringing me along too.

I realized maybe there was a way to share the wonderful feeling of those bells in the middle of the night. When the whole world seemed to be asleep. Because it was a wonderful feeling, even if it wasn't true that very night, and even if it isn't true today. That doesn't mean it will never be true.

I think I did it.

When I first heard something like a full version of "Heilige Nacht" I wound up sitting here, on a miserable wet Irish morning, crying my eyes out.

Because I realized, as soon as I had the basics of that piece to listen to, the miracle had come true for me, after all.

Just not in the way I expected.

"Heilige Nacht" is the song of the bells that warn of Christmas miracles. Don't forget to have one to go with it, will you?

Have a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS, as many times a year as you possibly can. Every day is probably best of all.
:santa: :D

M

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 12:09 am

Sorry I couldn't seem to work the link for the song, i'll keep trying. We have an old clock, not worth anything, but its a family airloon, its ticking away now. Merry Christmas to you too. :santa:

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2007, 10:18 am

The John Lennon one.

I also like the Phil Spector's like - I saw mommy kissing santa claus, Christmas Baby please come home.

I also like carols as they capture the atmosphere - Silent Night and O Holy Night being my favs.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 12:32 pm

The Pogues
Cool Yule (Louis Armstrong)
Mariah Carey (or the Love, Actually version) of All I Want For Christmas
John Lennon

and...

This one.

[Mew - She Came Home For Christmas]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p6wJK8sfhc[/youtube]

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 8:23 pm

Just to be different:

My favorite Christmas song would be
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

Merry Christmas anyway :santa:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 5:12 am

Douglas_MacNeill wrote:
Just to be different:

My favorite Christmas song would be
Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

Merry Christmas anyway :santa:

That's my favorite, too!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 10:21 am

Please Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas) - The Decemberists
O Come, O Come Emmanuel - Belle and Sebastian
The Christmas song from MST3K
Merry f*****g Christmas - South Park
Jingle Bell Rock - Arcade Fire
Does She Love You? - Rilo Kiley (not a holiday song, but I associate it with the holiday season)

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 12:02 pm

My favourites are Slade, Paul McCartney-Simply having wonderful Christmas and Stop the Cavalry