Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 4:58 pm

I had an idea for a story, and I wanted to write it. But I'm afraid that the idea might be cliche. Here's the story idea:

In a medieval setting there lives a boy and his younger sister. Even though they remember their faces, their parents are dead, and the two sibilings live with their grandfather. The only thing that the sibilings have that is a memento is a glamourious stone inside a locket. Later on while the boy is doing errands around town and returns he find a young female talking to his grandfather. The girl says that she just arrived in town and that she's a chamber maid working for his grandfather. THe young girl and the boy do get on a rough start, but after a while two mysterious witches attack. The boy and young girl defeat the witches at the cost of destroying the house. knowing that the girl can use magic, the boy asked her if she was a witch herself. She replies that she's a witch, and the reason that she came here was to get the stone that the sibilings have. She tells the sibilings that they should go with her, otherwise the church would get them. They accept the agreement, and together they go on an adventure, battling the bad witches, dfending themselves from the church, and eventually meeting a young woman who has the same stone embedded in her back shoulder.

Can you please tell me whether or not this story is cliche, and if it is cliche can you please tell me what I should add, delete, or change to make it less cliche?

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 8:57 pm

sounds like it could be interesting.... i like swordfights!

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

MU
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2008, 9:21 pm

I haven't heard of anything exactly like it, but it does have some familiar elements I might have heard of in other stories, anime shows in particular. Are you an anime fan with that avatar? I find with my own stories that other concepts come through with the type of books or shows I come in contact with, which makes it hard to come up with something I find to be very original. Do the boy and his sister have anything they can do to fight on their own? Maybe that can help with future episodes. Even if burning witches is common in many stories, I'd love to hear more of what happens here.

SirJoseph
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 10:10 pm

actually that sounds cool. "The Church" would make a really good villain too. secret artifacts and mysterious strangers get used a lot in stories but so do a lot of things. its impossible to come up with something completely totally original. even tolkien, who fantasy fans practically worship as a god, really didnt come up with anything new. he borrowed HEAVILY from william morris, and indo-european mythology. even his languages he came up with were based on real ones. its just a matter of taking whats been done and adding a new twist. i think tolkiens secret was to just condense so much. his stories were "loaded" if you take my meaning. and i think the medieval church would make a really interesting villain. they say a story is only as good as it's villain :D

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 11:03 pm

MU wrote

Quote:
I haven't heard of anything exactly like it, but it does have some familiar elements I might have heard of in other stories, anime shows in particular. Are you an anime fan with that avatar? I find with my own stories that other concepts come through with the type of books or shows I come in contact with, which makes it hard to come up with something I find to be very original. Do the boy and his sister have anything they can do to fight on their own? Maybe that can help with future episodes. Even if burning witches is common in many stories, I'd love to hear more of what happens here

Well I am an anime fan, but not with that avatar. I was going to change him anyway, it's just that I was kind of busy. Well I wouldn't say that stories concepts I come up with is derive directly from the type of books or shows I come into contact with. I'm more like inspired of a situation, but I still try to make the character's motives or plot original. But if you think about it, any concept or event in a book would had to be created by someone before your time. So everything isn't original after all.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:48 pm

sounds a bit like 'The Golden Compass' in spots, but someone once said that there are only 7 stories in the whole world....

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2008, 7:47 pm

pakled wrote:

Quote:
sounds a bit like 'The Golden Compass' in spots, but someone once said that there are only 7 stories in the whole world....

I think what you're talking about are the story types a story can be, like the Hero's Journey or the rescue type story.