Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LenaMarie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2008, 9:41 pm

my brothers doing a silent film for his sr. project. any ideas?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 10:27 pm

I dont' but post it whenver it does happen.

I luv it when people do replicas of that. It's actually harder than people think. There's a lot of depth of persons in which silent film stars emulated through their characters without words espeacially in comedy.

Buster Keeton and Carlie Chaplin are good examples of that. Some of the replicas kids do of silent films look very fake b/c of of this depth that they don't personify on film.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 11:00 pm

Normal silent films portray people behaving as if sound were present but not recorded and dialogue is presented in interjected copy between shots. How about making a silent film where the actors are aware they cannot make noise and try to convey ideas to each other by gesture and become very frustrated at the lack of being able to speak. It could be very funny. They could resort to holding up signs or scribbling grafitti on convenient walls or the palms of each other's hands or other strange surfaces like the bald head of a passerby. Also, the interjected panels could be not dialogue but written equivalents of noises like squeaks, bangs, chirps, etc. Harpo Marx played with that, to an extent and he was very funny.

LenaMarie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2008, 11:39 pm

Sand wrote:
Normal silent films portray people behaving as if sound were present but not recorded and dialogue is presented in interjected copy between shots. How about making a silent film where the actors are aware they cannot make noise and try to convey ideas to each other by gesture and become very frustrated at the lack of being able to speak. It could be very funny. They could resort to holding up signs or scribbling grafitti on convenient walls or the palms of each other's hands or other strange surfaces like the bald head of a passerby. Also, the interjected panels could be not dialogue but written equivalents of noises like squeaks, bangs, chirps, etc. Harpo Marx played with that, to an extent and he was very funny.

such a suh-weet idea! thank you!! !

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2008, 3:07 am

Happy to be of help.