Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pompei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2012, 7:53 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
Pompei wrote:
When I was in college, in the early 1970s, I enrolled in a course called "sensitivity training." This was a hot new topic then in psychology. At the first session, with about 50 students, the professor asked everyone to anonymously write on a piece of paper their own personal "biggest secret." He collected them and read each secret to the class. The amazing thing was about 90% of the secrets were the same. They were some variation of: "I am insecure." I never forgot this. Your statement above has a good deal of truth in it. Nearly every confident person has a kernel of insecurity in their heart. NTs, however, are so much better at disguising their insecurity than us aspies. While everyone is plagued with some degree of insecurity, we aspies have received more than our share of this dubious gift.

That's kind of revealing for me. If I'd been in that class, I'd have put something like, "I pick my nose sometimes." :lol: Why is being insecure something to even worry about, much less consider a "personal secret"?

Confident men intimidate me. If someone who seems sure of himself approaches me, I wonder what he's up to.

I agree with your response to the question of biggest secret. It never occurred to me to write I am insecure. Maybe aspies know they are insecure and feel others know it too, so we do not look at it as a secret. Maybe this is an NT thing?