Just made another profile for a dating website.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2013, 2:47 pm

In an effort to meet people in my local area/go on more dates, I made a dating profile for myself on OKCupid. This is either the 3rd or 4th time that I have made a profile, and I am wondering how I can make it into a tool to meet people/date with rather than a place that sucks away my time?

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2013, 2:51 pm

I have one too... I made about 10 months ago. I have answered every question. I have met a few tumblr users. But no one in my area.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm

How does okcupid suck away your time? You write a profile, post some pictures, come back and answer a few more questions from time to time, and that's it...unless you are chatting with tons of random people.

lost561
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 7:12 pm

Just a bit of advice... Answering all of those questions will steer a lot of people away from you.

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2013, 7:25 pm

starkid wrote:
How does okcupid suck away your time? You write a profile, post some pictures, come back and answer a few more questions from time to time, and that's it...unless you are chatting with tons of random people.

I guess you are right. It was actually a major component of my life back when I went to community college just because it was relatively easy to do community college and have large amounts of downtime.

lost561 wrote:
Just a bit of advice... Answering all of those questions will steer a lot of people away from you.

That makes sense. Some of the more personal questions are the ones that I tend to steer away from.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 7:35 pm

lost561 wrote:

Why?

lost561
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 9:26 pm

starkid wrote:
lost561 wrote:

Why?

Because it gives more information for people to judge you on. And some of the questions on okcupid can be too personal.. Also, when I had my profile I didn't put that I was looking for "Casual sex" even if I was. That will steer people away too.. At least women. These are just my opinions that I've learned from experience though.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 11:17 pm

starkid wrote:

If the OP is a guy, this is prob not going to work. Guys need to do the outreach.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2013, 11:32 pm

I have answered them all because i want to find someone who agrees or is compatible. If i hide my views and answers until a year into our relationship and she finds a deal breaker then she would leave. Better to show them what they are in for up front and not waste your time.

I feel like what i just typed is extremely Aspie

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2013, 11:41 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
starkid wrote:

If the OP is a guy, this is prob not going to work. Guys need to do the outreach.

There is a certain amount of outreach that you have to do for sure. When I used to go on OKC all the time, I largely had between a 5-10% response rate for every message I sent. Out of that, 10% of the responses I got turned into extended conversations (beyond 1-2 days). I only met one person from OKC about a year ago and I just found out she has a boyfriend and has isolated herself from everyone she once knew besides him.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 12:08 am

zarok wrote:
I have answered every question.

That's impossible!

To answer the OPs question, have you tried the Crazy Blind Date feature? I haven't, but it is geared towards getting you out there actually dating people rather than spending so much time sifting through profiles and chatting.

"Crazy Blind Date is the easiest and fastest way to go on dates. You just tell us when and where you’d like to go, and we set you up. With just a few clicks, you could have dates every night of the week."

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2013, 2:07 am

I actually have tried it, and it was not very good. I will try it again though probably

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2013, 2:09 am

I actually have tried it, and it was not very good. I will try it again though probably

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 10:59 pm

I tried OKCupid and quite liked the concept. But there weren't many other gay guys in my area. There were a couple of guys that I was interested in, but they didn't seem to return the interest. I found myself having to lead all of the chatting (they wouldn't initiate it themselves) and figured that was a bad sign. So I let things go with them. I deleted my profile recently because I'm taking a break from online dating (due to bad experiences on another site).

Also, I see what previous commenters have meant about not answering too many questions. Somehow, no matter how many things you agree on, it's the questions you disagree on that stand out and can turn you off of a potential match. Even little things can sometimes seem like huge deals. That said, there are some questions which I think you should answer honestly, if they are important to you. For example, your views on open relationships (especially important among gay men where such things are much more common) or your ethical stances.

zarok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2013, 11:42 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
zarok wrote:
I have answered every question.

That's impossible!

No It is " You've answered: 3,819 Questions"

Then down there the little marshmallow guy says
"Wow, You answered all the questions! Why not go find a match?

It makes me mad i want more of them. Because my matches might live near me but they are never interested in me. I really need to get out there and meet people. even just friends. guys to hang with. girls to date. and then they cant introduce me to new people. My social circle has gone stagnate. I have made the friends i am going to make and scared everyone else off.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 5:57 am

Erlonman wrote:
In an effort to meet people in my local area/go on more dates, I made a dating profile for myself on OKCupid. This is either the 3rd or 4th time that I have made a profile, and I am wondering how I can make it into a tool to meet people/date with rather than a place that sucks away my time?

by finding women with common interests/lifestyles and messaging them? :|