Does anyone think an aspie/aspie relationship would work?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 8:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
JanuaryMan wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
but they are challenging.

Yes. Can definitely vouch for that. Last year I found one AS/AS relationship very challenging!
Words of advice - make sure the Aspie you are dating is on the same wavelength/level..if they aren't you'll need a lot of patience.

if you don't mind, did it work out for you both? and if not, what could the failure be reduced to?

She has the mind of a 12yo. This was not entirely clear on our first couple of dates as she put on an act to impress me. We were according to her "going out" after that point. Her family are very wealthy, and upstanding people..it was very very hard to break off the relationship considering we were part of the same autistic meetup group. But anyways I broke it off when it was clear she was not ready to act like a real couple (go outside of her own home anywhere without her parents, talk about anything whatsoever, do anything but sit in her room, not even as much as touch each other..)..Yeah.

So in short it didn't work out. What I advise from this is if you insist on dating an Aspie find one that is as equally or more socially/mentally developed as you are or at least have a lot of patience about you.

LoverOfDragons
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2013, 8:39 pm

Well, such a relationship is difficult like making friends can be. But it is worth "fighting" for if you value it very much.

belladonna25
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2013, 6:49 pm

I had an aspie bf who I was with for four years ( i actually miss him a lot :-( ) a lot of things were great in our relationship. We became very comfortable around each other and talked everyday (we lived together) but both understood our desire for solitude. A lot of the time we would be in different rooms on our PCs (we were both gamers and he was a web designer too) I think it went wrong simply because we both had mental health problems too, depression and OCD. A lot of the time he was in a depression when I wasn't and vise versa. It became very difficult, so I think it was that mainly and not the AS.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 10:37 pm

Having been in one for just over a year now... It can be challenging in that we both have things we struggle with that we have to try to help each other with. But it can also be very rewarding in that we understand each other on a different level and communicate on a deeper level.