Good news for my haters: The Boo is finally devastated.

Page 2 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2013, 7:21 am

It must feel awful that she couldn't accept you with different beliefs.
I hope you soon meet someone lovely who will appreciate you for who you are.
Sending hugs.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 7:57 am

How is that plan of moving to australia going boo?

I recall you saying you wanted to get out of a muslim country to see if girls were more understanding of your faith last year

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 8:02 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I have a question to religious people here: if you liked someone and turned out not of the same faith or lacking faith, would you neglect everything else about him/her?

The Bible says that the two will become one flesh, it therefore also says an unbelieving partner is sanctified by its believing mate.

It also warns however to marry only in the Lord so I guess the first instance is to put the minds of those allready married at rest, maybe such a tack could work with your girlfriend for maybe she worries about you not being together in the next life?

I would marry an unbelieving mate. As a Christian I would also marry a Muslim.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 8:03 am

Looks like the boo haters have started partying already. :?

Here is some footage...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN--gdzgpfw[/youtube]

Seems to be a lot of them. 8O

Well you may be sad, but at least you have spread a lot of joy to a lot of people. :)

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 8:06 am

For the record. I'm not one of those boo haters. Shame on them I say.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 8:32 am

Well I don't know. It all seems a bit Jewish to me.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 10:09 am

Not sure why anybody would think this is a parody thread. Where's the joke?

As more of a "Boo Lover" I want to send my condolences. However this did just happen yesterday. Maybe it will cool over and she'll work through it. Don't count on it but I wouldn't give up all hope.

It really is a cultural thing. I happen to know a lot of western women who'd think you're quite the catch and wouldn't give a crap about your religion.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 10:40 am

Not sure how this could help you or not, but it was an odd situation:

A very religious Muslim man I was acquainted with many years ago--kept fasts, prayed, did the thing with the right and left hands, etc.,--was secretly married to his Jewish co-worker, "Mitzi". I found out by accident when I was taking a phone message for him and they asked if they could speak to "...his wife, Mitzi."

Maybe she's got family problems. Maybe she thought you were the one she could take home to meet the parents and she's afraid to get close to you because they'll be mad at her.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

Geekonychus wrote:
Not sure why anybody would think this is a parody thread. Where's the joke?

It's because he made this topic -
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt236109.html

Geekonychus wrote:
As more of a "Boo Lover" I want to send my condolences. However this did just happen yesterday. Maybe it will cool over and she'll work through it. Don't count on it but I wouldn't give up all hope. It really is a cultural thing. I happen to know a lot of western women who'd think you're quite the catch and wouldn't give a crap about your religion.

It sounds as though she's quite a strong religious chauvinist, and quite likely even a bigot given the strength of her rejection of Boo ; seemingly entirely because he doesn't share her particular chosen religion (even though she herself seems to pick and choose the parts which she wants to do).
I think it's very unfortunate, that she has decided to be like that about it.

I think it's for the best though, to learn of her stance this early on - rather than later into the relationship, when things would have developed even further.

I'm agnostic/atheist, and would not be keen on having a relationship with a strongly religious person at all ; because most religions seen nonsensical to me, and have all manner of ways of encouraging their followers to have prejudice against those who don't also follow that specific religion. .

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 11:14 am

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
It sounds as though she's quite a strong religious chauvinist, and quite likely even a bigot given the strength of her rejection of Boo ; seemingly entirely because he doesn't share her particular chosen religion (even though she herself seems to pick and choose the parts which she wants to do).

Better off without her.

Islam (or at least the mega haram zina on Ramadan version she has got together in her head) is more important to her than being with you.

Her loss.

There's plenty more fish in the sea, Boo. Even for shortarses like you. ;)

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 11:30 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I have a question to religious people here: if you liked someone and turned out not of the same faith or lacking faith, would you neglect everything else about him/her?

This seems to be a case of her rejecting you not out of her own needs but due to social pressures she must conform to.

Aka, she may not be a fully practicing person but her family and social circle friends expect her to hook up with someone who belongs to the same religion. From my understanding of Islam it is very similar to many other closed-door belief systems: Do not mingle with non-believers. It brings on social repercussions to herself and her family and that alone is strong enough to make her toss you out.

If the two of you got that close perhaps you should talk to her calmly and ask her if the above is why she doesn't want to be with you.

I don't know you so this part is just an assumption about you. If its correct then it will be applicable:

If you were raised in a Muslim household but you chose to be atheist/agnostic you can still function (know your way around) the belief system and social system of the girl. You can tell her you are basically a fully non-practicing Muslim and that you have not found reasons to believe in the religion as it is preached. Aka, you can let her know you're not a complete outsider. You get the idea of what I'm trying to do here.... positioning yourself in such a way that the social pressures acting on her would not be so strong....aka give her something she can tell her family and close social circles that would make you acceptable. If she really likes you and she is rejecting you because of the social pressures then she would try to help you fit into her world so she can be with you.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:08 pm

In Europe it's very unusual for different religious points of view to be a problem. It could happen with some christians sects, as the Opus Dei, and strict muslims, though nobody really knows which is the percentage of strict muslims in the european muslim population.

Here a person not wanting to partner another one because of religious reasons would be considered a religious fundamentalist, and somebody far from being an ideal partner. Though it's likely that in middle east the situation is different and this behavior is much more widely accepted.

I find it curious too the fact of saying that you don't use to share your religious beliefs/non-beliefs in such a short time, when you're even considered sexual intimacy. In Europe the degree of trusting in a relation between two people to share religious beliefs (supposed there's a reason in the conversation to do so) is almost down to zero. Far from the degree required to have sexual relations with somebody (unless you're drunk in a disco)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:24 pm

No, she didn't reject me because of what her family would think: I am culturally-Muslim atheist, my family is known as Muslim, my parents are muslims and I live in the Muslim district of Beirut, and only my direct parents and siblings know abt my lack of belief out of the whole family. Her parents and her social circle wouldn't know as long I keep my mouth shut, in fact I told to her about this very point and she agreed it is the case, however it is my absence of belief whih is a major issue for her, she said it is impossible to accept this in me.

In other term, even a stranger religious guy off the street has more chances, no matter how low, to be accepted by her.

I've faced this 'family pressure' before with a Christian girl (things were settled early tho), she didn't care abt my atheism but she got more concerned about being related to a Muslim family, but with this woman it is a faith issue.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 02 Aug 2013, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:27 pm

HA! TAKE THAT, BOO!

Seriously though, I must commend your honesty. It must suck for you, as you said there was a lot of compatibility otherwise, but had you lied it would have blown up in your face in the end, and doing that in order to enjoy more time with her would have been unethical from my point of view, anyway.
If she also felt the same towards you, this experience may lead her to question her own beliefs and assumptions about religion, and dating someone non-religious. But I wouldn't count on it right now, do you even want to be friends with her now?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:42 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
minervx wrote:

Also, you don't have haters.

You have no idea lol.

Really?! 8O

It is very sad when things go this way. Sure, you're better off without her but I don't think that lessens your pain and disappointment.

I hope you feel better soon, it's all I can offer. If her decision is as definitive as you say, no advice here can change things.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

Greb wrote:
In Europe it's very unusual for different religious points of view to be a problem. It could happen with some christians sects, as the Opus Dei, and strict muslims, though nobody really knows which is the percentage of strict muslims in the european muslim population.

Here a person not wanting to partner another one because of religious reasons would be considered a religious fundamentalist, and somebody far from being an ideal partner. Though it's likely that in middle east the situation is different and this behavior is much more widely accepted.

A fundamental muslim doesn't wear things shorter than knees nor attends mixed (for both genders) beach clubs, nor wears swimsuits in front of male presence and nor does even think of premarital sexual stuff with her bf, however she does all these things; in fact her reaction was totally unexpected to me as I knew less moderate Muslim girls who didn't have that much of issue with my atheism, I've dated a Muslim girl before who turned out doesn't even go to mixed beaches nor accepts alcohol on table, but she didn't mind my atheism.

Yeah, people are weird.