Do we have a chance at dating the really attractive ones?

Page 12 of 18 [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next

MankoDechu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2016, 4:40 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I know a lot of aspies in meatspace. Some of them have partners but they're all plain looking. Most of them are quite obese. Some of them are frumpy looking.

Is this the penalty we pay for not being neurotypical? That we can't get with the pretty ones?

Is it a natural progression to go from not being able to get a date at all to barely being able to get a date but not with someone who's attractive?

Is this our lot in life?

Pffft. How did this thread get to 12 pages? The answer is simple: of course we can get the really attractive ones. They might be more expensive but it is certainly possible if you have enough self control and money management skills

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 5:10 am

sly279 wrote:
Why is it ok and people fighting for women to be accepted to have different body types,but not men :(

It should apply to all genders, not just females obviously...if you're talking about my comment the 300 pound women was a hypothetical person the post I was responding to mentioned overweight women so that's the first gender I thought of when posting that, it certainly was not meant to imply only different body types in females should be accepted.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 5:13 am

goldfish21 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Why is it ok and people fighting for women to be accepted to have different body types,but not men :(

Two reasons:

1) Women have typically been on the receiving end of most "body shaming" comments throughout history.

2) It's called a double standard. Women want to be accepted for being fat, yet they still prefer fit Alpha males.

It's an evolutionary biology thing, IMO, and this whole PC notion of "everyone is equal" is complete BS. There's fit and there's fat, winners and losers, people who pair up and procreate and people who don't etc etc and it's just the way it is.

Acknowledging and accepting that this is the way of the world is the first step. Deciding to play the game is the next. Playing the best you can is the following step. In other words, if you don't feel attractive with the body you have now, then change it. Work hard, eat well, drink water, sleep. etc. Get fit, get confident, be and feel attractive, then get the girl.

Well said.

Regarding PC-ness, something I notice often is guys on here trying to conform to some feminist ideal. I can't understand why more guys haven't figured out it's a trap.

The way I see it, there's equality/fairness, and then there's hate. Equality/fairness levels the playing field, takes care of the participants in a way that is mutually beneficial. Hate turns the tables, preserves a zero-sum mentality that keeps men on the losing side. I don't feel I should answer to anyone if I've done nothing wrong. So I don't try to conform to an unreasonable standard, and I certainly don't go out of my way to please the unpleasable.

Sure, there are winners/losers. But which side you're on is a matter of choice. The game is not zero-sum. You may not always get THE girl. But you can get A girl.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 5:29 am

goldfish21 wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Two reasons:

1) Women have typically been on the receiving end of most "body shaming" comments throughout history.

2) It's called a double standard. Women want to be accepted for being fat, yet they still prefer fit Alpha males.

It's an evolutionary biology thing, IMO, and this whole PC notion of "everyone is equal" is complete BS. There's fit and there's fat, winners and losers, people who pair up and procreate and people who don't etc etc and it's just the way it is.

Acknowledging and accepting that this is the way of the world is the first step. Deciding to play the game is the next. Playing the best you can is the following step. In other words, if you don't feel attractive with the body you have now, then change it. Work hard, eat well, drink water, sleep. etc. Get fit, get confident, be and feel attractive, then get the girl.

hmmm always good to be told what you want and prefer based simply on your gender. Also I like how in an effort to express that different body types are natural and not everyone has a skinny body type meaning everyone regardless of gender, its somehow been twisted into having different body types is only acceptable in females but doesn't apply to males.

I am in a relationship that I quite enjoy and he's not a super fit 'sporty' alpha male, more on my level likes metal music, hates sports, likes sci-fi and fantasy books/movies/shows and his main hobby is painting miniatures, mostly orcs and neither of us have a lot of friends or anything. So no we aren't all into that stereotypical alpha male/jock/college frat type guys actually....I've never been attracted to that.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 6:00 am

MankoDechu wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I know a lot of aspies in meatspace. Some of them have partners but they're all plain looking. Most of them are quite obese. Some of them are frumpy looking.

Is this the penalty we pay for not being neurotypical? That we can't get with the pretty ones?

Is it a natural progression to go from not being able to get a date at all to barely being able to get a date but not with someone who's attractive?

Is this our lot in life?
Pffft. How did this thread get to 12 pages? The answer is simple: of course we can get the really attractive ones. They might be more expensive but it is certainly possible if you have enough self control and money management skills
Money management? Do you mean having enough money to hire a prostitute or having enough money to attract a gold digger?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 6:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
It would likely be helpful for that person to lose the 50 pounds or somewhere around that
That would benefit her health.
Sweetleaf wrote:
but it seems like some people expect a 300 pound woman for instance can go down to like 120 pounds or lower and become 'skinny'
That's crazy. I know that's very unlikely.
Sweetleaf wrote:
...when it is quite possible they may only be able to go down to being chubby...So the problem becomes how much weight does the person have to lose before its 'acceptable' and shows they've put effort into their health?
50 pounds.
Sweetleaf wrote:
Different body types should certainly be accepted, but obviously morbid obesity shouldn't be glorified anymore than being severely underweight because those are unhealthy and can cause serious health problems.
Right. I think Tess Holliday really is glorifying it. She weighs 280 lbs with a BMI of 46.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be plus sized models but having a BMI of 46 is very unhealthy. Some fashion shows banned models with a BMI of less than 18 because it's unhealthy and could also encourage girls to get down to the same weight.

Yes having a BMI of less than 18 is unhealthy. Having a BMI of more than 40 is also unhealthy. Should BMI > 40 be banned for the same reason?

Would Tess Holliday encourage a girl with a BMI of 46 to not lose weight? Yes.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 8:36 am

sly279 wrote:

There has been some movement for acceptance of different types of males aswell but unfortunately less discussed. Maybe its because men don't feel the need to discuss it (similar to not discussing male suicide rates which are the the highest). Either way it should be talked about more

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2016, 9:16 am

Alliekit wrote:
sly279 wrote:

There has been some movement for acceptance of different types of males aswell but unfortunately less discussed. Maybe its because men don't feel the need to discuss it (similar to not discussing male suicide rates which are the the highest). Either way it should be talked about more

It's because we live in a society obsessed with women, for better or for worse. There are men who discuss their problems, but for the most part, those discussions tend to be shut down pretty quickly, or be seen as ridiculous, as people just don't care as much. Which makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint, women were the ones who had to be protected at all costs to allow our species to continue.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 9:41 am

I'm chubby and honestly can't stand glorifying being severely overweight. I could date a chubby guy as long as he is not severely overweight. I can date a guy who is over 200 pounds but within reason. My biggest concern with a super toned guy is him pressuring me to be toned and have a perfectly flat stomach. I wouldn't say my stomach is huge but it's not perfect.

Really attractive is very subjective.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2016, 10:14 am

xDominiel wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
sly279 wrote:

It's because we live in a society obsessed with women, for better or for worse. There are men who discuss their problems, but for the most part, those discussions tend to be shut down pretty quickly, or be seen as ridiculous, as people just don't care as much. Which makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint, women were the ones who had to be protected at all costs to allow our species to continue.

Oh no, why do people on the spectrum always come up with evolutionary reasons ... Arent there enough historical and psychosocial reasons around? Or if biology, then why not something like William Golding: "Women are far superior [to men] and always have been." or along the argumentation that men are "the weaker sex" compared to women (as for example a male - German human biologist argues in a book) and then draw the psychosocial consequences that follow out of it. Cognitively too challenging for people on the spectrum, or just not flattering enough for men?

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 10:18 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I'm chubby and honestly can't stand glorifying being severely overweight. I could date a chubby guy as long as he is not severely overweight. I can date a guy who is over 200 pounds but within reason. My biggest concern with a super toned guy is him pressuring me to be toned and have a perfectly flat stomach. I wouldn't say my stomach is huge but it's not perfect.

Really attractive is very subjective.

Yea I can completely relate to that. It often put me off of muscular people when I was dating

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2016, 10:26 am

Evam wrote:
xDominiel wrote:
Alliekit wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Oh no, why do people on the spectrum always come up with evolutionary reasons ... Arent there enough historical and psychosocial reasons around?

How is history and social development not evolutionary?

Quote:
why not something like William Golding: "Women are far superior [to men] and always have been." or along the argumentation that men are "the weaker sex" compared to women (as for example a male - German human biologist argues in a book) and then draw the psychosocial consequences that follow out of it. Cognitively too challenging for people on the spectrum, or just not flattering enough for men?

Neither is better or worse, both needed the other. Those are your insecurities, not mine.

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2016, 12:10 pm

xDominiel wrote:
Evam wrote:
xDominiel wrote:

Oh no, why do people on the spectrum always come up with evolutionary reasons ... Arent there enough historical and psychosocial reasons around?

How is history and social development not evolutionary?

Quote:
why not something like William Golding: "Women are far superior [to men] and always have been." or along the argumentation that men are "the weaker sex" compared to women (as for example a male - German human biologist argues in a book) and then draw the psychosocial consequences that follow out of it. Cognitively too challenging for people on the spectrum, or just not flattering enough for men?

Neither is better or worse, both needed the other. Those are your insecurities, not mine.

History and social development is not evolution, unless you believe in a radical form of determinism. I am NT, so I dont. I know that a lot depends on decisions people take . What distinguishes men from animals, is their imagination and imagination changes everything for the good and the worse. Including evolution.

Envy is a VERY powerful motivation for people. "Womb envy" is something psychologists talk about, in opposition to the Freudian "penis envy" which in my opinion is less an envy than a "penis rage" (and which comes historically spoken later). Men might also envy women for their better communication skills. I mean would the Aspie-like inventor of the IQ tests, Alfred Binet, have changed the test, and killed some of the more language-based tests, had the boys scored higher instead of the girls? No, it was because the girls were performing better (and in some age groups even significantly) that the tests were adjusted, or even over-adjusted! In such a way, that until recently, the boys got the higher scores.

Adjusting tests out of envy and a latent minority complex, and changing thereby the course of history is NOT evolution. Sorry. ias an NT I prefer using the words in their social meaning and not in a meaning I find myself in this particular moment the most compelling for my own sake.

Dont do the stupid, try at least to be reasonable and open to the better argument !

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2016, 12:35 pm

Evam wrote:
History and social development is not evolution, unless you believe in a radical form of determinism. I am NT, so I dont. I know that a lot depends on decisions people take . What distinguishes men from animals, is their imagination and imagination changes everything for the good and the worse. Including evolution.

Envy is a VERY powerful motivation for people. "Womb envy" is something psychologists talk about, in opposition to the Freudian "penis envy" which in my opinion is less an envy than a "penis rage" (and which comes historically spoken later). Men might also envy women for their better communication skills. I mean would the Aspie-like inventor of the IQ tests, Alfred Binet, have changed the test, and killed some of the more language-based tests, had the boys scored higher instead of the girls? No, it was because the girls were performing better (and in some age groups even significantly) that the tests were adjusted, or even over-adjusted! In such a way, that until recently, the boys got the higher scores.

Dont do the stupid, try at least to be reasonable and open to the better argument !

Riiiiight... I'll get around to that. :wink:

So uh.. Are you sure you're entirely NT?~

Look, literally all I was trying to say was that women have traditionally been in the role of "the protected" so there has arisen a sort of culture where they are focused on much more than men. I was not making a statement that one is any more valuable than the other. I don't know why you are bringing up all this female supremacy stuff. Or why you drop these not-so-subtle jabs at people on the spectrum.

Last edited by xDominiel on 16 Dec 2016, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 12:45 pm

History and social development have elements of evolution--but not usually of a biological nature.

Moccu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2016, 12:46 pm

My boyfriend's most alpha moment, of recent, was bringing a box of 6lbs of meat to me to store in my freezer for us.

I'll begin my gathering of milk and vegetation at the grocery store later on today.