The 'Hookup Culture' of my generation...

Page 2 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 2:08 am

BlueMax wrote:
That's certainly true, but many of these young'uns aren't even putting in enough commitment to date one person exclusively! They're basically boinking anyone who'll make them smile!

Some of us do. We just aren't the majority anymore. And it's pretty easy to tell now who is in which camp.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 4:05 am

Kjas wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
That's certainly true, but many of these young'uns aren't even putting in enough commitment to date one person exclusively! They're basically boinking anyone who'll make them smile!

Some of us do. We just aren't the majority anymore. And it's pretty easy to tell now who is in which camp.

Readng this, I used to be worried about premarital sex being an issue for me and my religion, but now in modern times I wonder if things will be judged differently. Like how the Catholic Church during the plagues declared people who kept their sexual relationships only with adult women "living saints."

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:21 am

it's abysmal and I hate it.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:24 am

MXH wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
Kjas wrote:
By hook up culture - this is basically causual sex, forming a semi bond, and then moving on to casual sex with someone else.

I never understood how people are able to do that... it would require an incredible amount of trust for me to have sex even if there was a woman that wanted it...

its quite easy, especially depending on your feelings/views on mankind. Too positive and its easy to be over trusting, too negative and you learn to do things for your own pleasure and not care about the rest.

But it takes so much out of me just to get one woman to like me... you're saying I need to continuously do that over and over again for repeated one night stands?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:28 am

Is "hook up" a euphemism for casual coitus?

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:39 am

ArrantPariah wrote:

effectively.. basically "Oh wanna come over and watch a movie", then 10 minutes into the movie your furiously making out rather than watching the movie..

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 8:57 am

I've notice the "hook up" culture also, i just learned the term for it now.
I attribute it to the internet. There are actual sites where people can go on to actually meet a
strange person to hook up with. My friend did it and i was baby sitting for her and was nervous for her
the whole time since she just met the guy online.
It's crazy, unsafe, and sad imo.

Must of these younger folk are meeting online

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 10:15 am

it's not so much an online thing as it is a changing attitude about sex.. due to the complete pervasiveness of contraception and ease of obtaining abortions has lead to the idea that sex is simply another form of entertainment, and as a result of this it's leading to the supposedly male "Fear of Commitment" becoming endemic across the entire population.. Simply put.. why bother investing in something if you can just ask and receive the sex without having to put anything on the line for it..

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 10:29 am

Shau wrote:
billiscool wrote:
sh**, I can't hook up with no one (well, ladies of course) then again, I probaly should go after more than just 19-20 year old gym employees. But they are so fun talk to and it gives me something to do.

Good to see you're taking at least SOME of my advice!

yeah, But I enjoy talking to them.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2013, 10:39 am

I believe it is all based in removing risk, avoiding the sting of rejection. The passive, emotionally defensive culture of younger generation is a result of emotional convenience - technology allows us to guard ourselves in ways not possible before. We no longer have to put ourselves on the line to express romantic interest in another person, or even in the initial friendship which leads to love. We're so afraid of our own emotions and interests being unrequited, that we withdraw into an impersonal world of casual indifference. We rarely express authentic, direct, unequivocal interest in another person. Instead we're skating along on a relay of superficial, even enthusiastic types of social indifference -- socializing in groups, online, via text. This common personality trait is a guard against the possibility of being hurt by another person. This level of impersonality has translated into our everyday lives.

People seem to think the overall definition of a "friend" is a person you hang out with. Whereas when you look at long-term friendships, especially in older people, it becomes obvious that there is some level of inherent trust, commonality, or longevity to the term "friend" that is lacking in younger generations -- and not necessarily because of the time constraint. The term is seemingly used in a disposable way these days (as are the people to which it refers) -- real, true "friends" take time, you don't make them over the course of a day, a week, a month - it is a privilege of human experience, built on an emotional investment on the part of both people involved. Loving relationships are much the same - to develop meaningful bonds with another person takes mutual time, memories, experiences, usually effort-- and with one's emotions involved.

What I see in the people my age and younger are "transactional" type reactions - in everything from friendships to sex. It's a sort of emotional tribalism - stray too far from the comfort zone, and "you're out" so to speak. If you get tired of, or even mildly annoyed with a "friend" you stop seeing them - you lose contact, you move on. You stop inviting them to things. Thus avoiding even having to deal with what the issues were, let alone deepen the interaction by sorting it out. Some people develop "pretend confidence" within their bold persona - but we often find these people rather sensitive, because the persona is a facade. These people also tend to be the "drama queens" who constantly demand attention.

All of this is terrible for our emotional health. We are inherently social creatures, with a need to feel included, to feel a sense of value in the context of other people ... and yet we've put ourselves in a place where we're practically unable to develop meaningful emotional connections with those people. (And then of course, we wonder why things like divorce rates are through the roof...)

Sex without loving a person is only stimulation. It is much better with a person you know well, love and trust. MUCH BETTER. I've never understood the casual sex culture -- it's non-commital, it's indifferent, passive, and moreover it's a defense mechanism against having to actually care about the other person. Sex is supposed to be an emotionally vulnerable experience, not a callous one -- that's why one's emotions follow around with it, no matter what.

All of this desensitizing. I find it very odd. Put yourself out there, but be judicious with who you choose to interact. The rewards are very much worth it. The culture of indifference is not a healthy one.

Last edited by abyssquick on 14 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 10:42 am

So I guess it's because I don't want a relationship cheapened by that process that I don't want this hookup crap... if it's just stimulation I want, there's a hand for that.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 11:19 am

rabbittss wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

effectively.. basically "Oh wanna come over and watch a movie", then 10 minutes into the movie your furiously making out rather than watching the movie..

"making out" is a euphemism for "hugging and kissing", isn't it?

Would the adverb "furiously" then imply that coitus was involved?

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 11:24 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
rabbittss wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

"making out" is a euphemism for "hugging and kissing", isn't it?

Would the adverb "furiously" then imply that coitus was involved?

Yes. Basically that's in my experience how it starts out.. one partner or the other will simply ask 'Wanna make out?" or "Wanna f**k?" and then they simply do it.. with no real attachment emotionally to the other person..

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 11:25 am

i don't think it's very new (free love and all that), and i don't think it's very common. i think if your friends are doing it and it makes you uncomfortable, you're maybe running with the wrong crowd.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2013, 11:47 am

It seems to be prevalent (but maybe not pervasive) in American society, at least from what I've seen.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 12:56 pm

well I dunno about where you are.. but here it's endemic amongst all crowds except the sad nerd males who never get a look in.

Church crowd, drug crowd, prep crowd, scene crowd.. all of them are "Hooking up" and can list their sexual exploits into novela length.. I'd hazard a guess it's more geographic than anything.. here, there isn't anything else to do except do drugs, get drunk, party, hook up.. there are no jobs, are no entertainment venues, all there are is people's bedrooms and front porches.. so you hang out, get drunk, have sex, wake up hungover and do it again.