Can you control NOT falling in love with someone?

Page 4 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

001Friday
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2020, 3:27 pm

Two months isn't that long. If you really like this guy then ask him to be your boyfriend. I wouldn't start off by saying that you might be falling in love with him. He'd probably break things off if he thinks you are moving too fast for him. Asking to be exclusive would let you know if he really likes you or if he isn't interested in anything more than what you have. Just tell him that you'd really like to see where your relationship with him might go. Let him know that if he's not interested to tell you so you don't get too emotionally involved as time goes on. That's reasonable and honest.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 5:55 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
amygdala417 wrote:
Also I am sure I will be very wealthy once i am in my mid 30s.

Jeez, the over-confidence.

Why, are you planning to be a brain surgeon?

Yep that was a real eyebrow raiser for me as well.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 7:10 pm

amygdala417 wrote:
Guys we are getting way ahead of ourselves here. I am not thinking about marriage particularly but I would love to get into a serious relationship and see where it goes.

And I have messed around quite a lot, my wild oats have been sewed and I actually feel like settling down at the moment.

I don't plan on having kids until at least I am 30, preferably after 35 when I am financially stable.

Everything here sounds good.
All boxes ticked.
You are ready for lift-off towards planet Commitment. 8)

Nail that sucker down, now! :mrgreen:
If he is unwilling, move on to the next victim, errr, I mean luv interest. 8)

You have no problem finding boyfriends.
Logic would suggest you are a valuable "commodity".
You don't need to accept evasive nonsense.

Be assertive in a mature way.
Set boundaries.
Accept the outcome.

And remember,
I am always here if you need a fall-back position. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 7:14 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Marriage may make you more financially stable if he's significantly wealthier than you. Marry him, divorce, and grab half his money ==> Financial stability!

Listen to this man, err, fish, err, thingie.
he is full of "it". 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 7:20 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
amygdala417 wrote:
Also I am sure I will be very wealthy once i am in my mid 30s.

Jeez, the over-confidence.

Why, are you planning to be a brain surgeon?

What I don't understand,
Is if she is so on top of it all,
Why does she need advice from a fish and a skunk? :scratch:

Something doesn't smell right, and it isn't me. <joke> :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2020, 9:41 pm

Pepe wrote:
Why does she need advice from a fish and a skunk? :scratch:

Something doesn't smell right, and it isn't me. <joke> :mrgreen:

Girls always want positive affirmation....even from fauna :lol:

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2020, 8:20 am

I will give you my advice, but feel free to ignore me if you don't agree. I'm just trying to save you pain. I can only speak for my own experiences and view of the world. It's sometimes hard for me to put myself in other people's shoes, which I've heard is common among aspies. I'm also very conservative and "old-fashioned" when it comes to sexuality, and anyone I am ever in a relationship with would have to understand that. I would rather, personally, never be intimate with someone again than allow myself to be used and degraded by being intimate with someone who doesn't love me. I would insist on being married, or at least engaged before I ever did this again. For me at least, sex and love are inextricably linked. I would never sleep with someone I do not love. As I mentioned, I have been deeply hurt before.

If I were you at this point, I would let this young man know that you care for him deeply, and give him a choice. Either he can commit to a serious monogamous relationship with you, or it's over. If he will not commit, cut all ties with him. Never speak to him again. I do not speak to any of my exes. It's the only way I could get closure and move on, although those wounds never fully heal. It will hurt to let him go, but it seems this person is using you/taking advantage of you with no intention to commit. You deserve better than to be some guy's plaything, there only for his amusement. Don't degrade yourself. Even if you're alone, you're better off.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2020, 8:30 am

amygdala417 wrote:
Guys we are getting way ahead of ourselves here. I am not thinking about marriage particularly but I would love to get into a serious relationship and see where it goes.

And I have messed around quite a lot, my wild oats have been sewed and I actually feel like settling down at the moment.

I don't plan on having kids until at least I am 30, preferably after 35 when I am financially stable.

A biology professor told me that after 35 is considered "advanced maternal age". The doctors put a note on your medical records because the risk of birth defects is higher at that point, things like Down syndrome. I had my son when I was 21. It might have been a little young, but I don't think it would have been a problem if I had not been in an abusive relationship. If I had a husband who was supportive, helpful, loving, and kind, it would have been much easier. Just be warned that babies and kids can be a real challenge, no matter your age.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2020, 8:34 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
amygdala417 wrote:

A biology professor told me that after 35 is considered "advanced maternal age". The doctors put a note on your medical records because the risk of birth defects is higher at that point, things like Down syndrome. I had my son when I was 21. It might have been a little young, but I don't think it would have been a problem if I had not been in an abusive relationship. If I had a husband who was supportive, helpful, loving, and kind, it would have been much easier. Just be warned that babies and kids can be a real challenge, no matter your age.

Did you *really* know who you were at age 21? :scratch:

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2020, 8:42 am

Pepe wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
amygdala417 wrote:

Did you *really* know who you were at age 21? :scratch:

Hell, I'm still not sure who I am, and I'm in my 30s!! !! :? But that's just me. Everybody's different. I'm the kind of person who should probably never have kids, but I thought, at that time, it would make me happy and fill the void in my life. I was dead wrong. I love my son and don't regret having him, but at least in my case, age probably wouldn't make that much difference. I still get told all the time I act like a kid and am "immature".

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 1:33 am

001Friday wrote:
Two months isn't that long. If you really like this guy then ask him to be your boyfriend. I wouldn't start off by saying that you might be falling in love with him. He'd probably break things off if he thinks you are moving too fast for him. Asking to be exclusive would let you know if he really likes you or if he isn't interested in anything more than what you have. Just tell him that you'd really like to see where your relationship with him might go. Let him know that if he's not interested to tell you so you don't get too emotionally involved as time goes on. That's reasonable and honest.

Indeed. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 1:41 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:

If I were you at this point, I would let this young man know that you care for him deeply, and give him a choice. Either he can commit to a serious monogamous relationship with you, or it's over. If he will not commit, cut all ties with him. Never speak to him again. I do not speak to any of my exes. It's the only way I could get closure and move on, although those wounds never fully heal. It will hurt to let him go, but it seems this person is using you/taking advantage of you with no intention to commit. You deserve better than to be some guy's plaything, there only for his amusement. Don't degrade yourself. Even if you're alone, you're better off.

It got a bit dark in the end,
But, yeah, "what she said". :mrgreen:

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 8:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are black, Ethiopian Jews.

And don’t forget: Sammy Davis Jr. converted to Judaism.

And Epstein, a character in a show called “Welcome Back Kotter,” was a Puerto Rican Jew.

I’m glad the sex is good for you. But I do hope “more” results.

I’m a Jewish (non-religious) man who is married to a black woman.

How can you be Jewish & not religious?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 9:28 pm

nick007 wrote:
Do you feel like you have to have a committed relationship with him rite now amy :?: It's not uncommon for guys to get scared of commitment or a relationship turning serious. Sometimes the guys change their minds as the relationship goes on but pressuring the guy to be committed especially early on can make em run. Sometimes they'll come back but other times they won't. It's also pretty common for people to have dealbreakers or requirements about relationships that they'll quickly toss aside under certain circumstances so I wouldn't completely rule out him changing his mind. I also wouldn't completely rule out you changing your mind about him down the road. Maybe he'll do something that will turn you off or maybe you'll meet another guy that you will fall for. If your enjoying yourself rite now the way things are & like having sex & spending time with him, you could just carry on as is & see how things play out for a while.

I’m scared this maybe true for the guy I been talking to, he in Scotland for work, he told me he can’t text, he will text me when he gets back home. I’m scared of alot of things now, one of the things,my past came back & trying to ruin things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 9:52 pm

There are people who are culturally “Jewish”—but don’t practice the religion.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2020, 10:02 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
I do not speak to any of my exes. It's the only way I could get closure and move on, although those wounds never fully heal. It will hurt to let him go, but it seems this person is using you/taking advantage of you with no intention to commit. You deserve better than to be some guy's plaything, there only for his amusement. Don't degrade yourself. Even if you're alone, you're better off.

Just out of curiosity, what type of men were you attracted to?