Can stalking lead to happy ending?

Page 6 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 6:06 pm

People also freak out when you know stuff about them before they even meet you or know you. It reminds me of an episode in Malcolm in the Middle and there is a co worker he likes so he has some homeless guy who is living in the store spy on her and eavesdrop on her conversations to get information about her to share with him so he knows more about her. Then at the end she finally talks to him and Malcolm gets excited and thinking he would impress with how much she knows about him, she freaks out calling him a stalker and a freak. he didn't even get the chance to explain he was having someone spy on her for him in the store and over hear her talk to people about herself and he would tell him what she said about herself.

I would freak out too if someone I didn't know knew so much about me or was accusing me of things I didn't even do or say. I would think someone was stalking me spreading lies about me and I am guilty of freaking out myself because I was not aware of any search you could do on someone like typing in their username on google. Now these days people do a search on someone online they met in real life so they may type in their real name or their email just to see if they are good people or not or they may do it on someone they are about to meet in real life. Even work places do it too when they are hiring. Lot of people still don't know this.

I think it's human nature to freak out when people know stuff about you you didn't even share with them. But once you know the situation, then it's less freaky. I remember the time I freaked out when someone knew my phone number and I never gave it to them so I wondered what else did they know about me I didn't even share and mom told me they have caller ID. That was how they knew my phone number. Now it's not surprising anymore when people know your phone number and you never gave it to them when you called them. It's also not surprising when people know stuff about me I have put on here because I just assume they read my posts and the time my aunt knew someone ate my mac and cheese and I never told her so I said "You must have been on facebook" because it was where I put it or how else would she know?

Lot of people don't know about looking people up online like Spokeo or google or other stuff so they freak out when you know stuff about them they never even shared but I bet if they showed you their facebook and you then knew where they lived or knew where they worked because they had it public, they wouldn't be so freaked out because they would figure you must have gotten that information from facebook.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 11:18 am

Quote:
I don't bother telling them any more. It's useless trying to explain to people that I am not a stalker; I am just an individual performing basic common sense background checks, using resources that are available to anyone online.

Hey, what you do is great; for security reasons. So, you can know that they're not lying and if it is matching with what they are saying. People should do that more often.

Lostiehere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2013, 1:48 pm

Me and my girl friends like to joke about how most people "stalk" to some extent. So what I am saying is women have a tendency to do some of this too (i.e, google name). Most of it is very harmless and used to gather information and double-check to see if that person is being genuine. IMHO, it is better to be aware of a person up front rather than to find out after you have already started liking one another. Now, this can be bypassed for the most part if you have a set of mutual friends or have already been hanging out for some time prior to beginning a dating relationship. I call it "light stalkage" lol...and consider it withing normal range of human behavior. But maybe I just say this to enable myself... :lol:

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 4:16 pm

I agree, Lostiehere.

Lostiehere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2013, 5:15 pm

Thank you Sherry. Us ladies have to stick together with and make sure our stalkage stories match up. :wink:

Sherry221B
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 12:18 pm

I agree again.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2013, 12:37 pm

The problem with the search is people can still get false information about you when they look you up. Ever tried looking yourself up and found someone uses the same user name as you, found information about you that is outdated? I would rather if someone asked me questions first than assuming and jumping to conclusions. Things have changed over the years for me. I have moved locations, had two previous boyfriends, changed jobs, got married, had eating disorders in the past, etc.

I am married but if someone came cross my old post where I claim to be single, they might assume I was lying about being married and didn't even consider and I may have gotten married.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.