The real problem for us aspies on the dating scene

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 12:41 am

Well the title states simply what im about to say. I think I found the problem most of us Aspies have while on the dating scene.

WE OVER-THINK/OVERSYSTEMIZE EVERYTHING!! !

how ive come across this? just compiling alot of different posts, as well as analyzing them for what I feel is our commonly shared flaw when it comes to ANYTHING social. I have yet to apply it, as it is just a theory of mine. Just a few point though that sum this up, since I feel like keeping it short and simple....

1)By overthinking our own and our potential partner's gestures and speech patterns, we can easily convolute the entire message being sent/recieved.

2)By taking time to deliberate on even the smallest of actions (such as to what joke to tell), we are in essence holding ourselves back. In relation to jokes, this isnt "dating related", but it is still a good sample nonetheless. I play Dungeons and dragons with a fairly large group of friends (approx 9 people, but we havent gotten together in a long while (2 months time)). Well lets just say, If I try to be funny on purpose, its not funny at all. Now if I just pull jokes, snark, and deadpan all on a whim, all on the spur of the moment, without thinking, alot of people tend to classify the results as a comedic goldmine. And it is something I am steadily getting better at, probably since Ive been outgrowing some of the standard aspergian social limitations to a degree. This in turn could in fact apply to other aspies.

In essence, I am gonna ask yas to try something, just to test this. Try to not focus on the thoughts, but just simply act. It might help It might not, but I need other people to try It to test out my theory.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 1:14 am

Personally, I know that this is an issue with interacting with NT's. I think a lot of aspies would agree as well. The problem comes in that I have very little in the way of gut feelings or instinct (I can't speak for others on this though). What little I have, I don't trust, as that's what's gotten me into a lot of trouble over the years...

Fisky
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2009, 1:27 am

I would probably over think a gesture or conversation as well. Plus, I find it hard to not talk about science and technology. Plus, it would be hard to go on most types of dates. I could not go to concerts, crowded restuarants and amusement parks due to all the stimuli.

It is hard to find a partner that is that understanding. Even though I am only eighteen, a relationship would probably be too inconvenient for me.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 1:47 am

I agree with you fundamentally but the problem is that really there's no way to shake the "over-thinking" thing. You can only "improve" if you adapt to it and make it work that way.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2009, 2:48 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Well lets just say, If I try to be funny on purpose, its not funny at all. Now if I just pull jokes, snark, and deadpan all on a whim, all on the spur of the moment, without thinking, alot of people tend to classify the results as a comedic goldmine.

I think NTs do this too. It's really easy to tell when someone is trying to be funny (which almost without exception fails) and when their jokes just come naturally. Jokes that come naturally generally make a lot more sense and are actually funny, whereas jokes that people tried too hard to come up with usually don't make a whole lot of sense in the context of the situation. (Sorry, people trying too hard to be funny is starting to become a pet peeve of mine. Also, when I say something slightly humorous and people try to add on to the comment until it's no longer funny in a lame attempt to make my jokes their own, and when they flat out repeat something I said and try to pass it off as their own original joke/thought.).

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2009, 4:03 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Well the title states simply what im about to say. I think I found the problem most of us Aspies have while on the dating scene.

how ive come across this? just compiling alot of different posts, as well as analyzing them for what I feel is our commonly shared flaw when it comes to ANYTHING social. I have yet to apply it, as it is just a theory of mine. Just a few point though that sum this up, since I feel like keeping it short and simple....

1)By overthinking our own and our potential partner's gestures and speech patterns, we can easily convolute the entire message being sent/recieved.

2)By taking time to deliberate on even the smallest of actions (such as to what joke to tell), we are in essence holding ourselves back. In relation to jokes, this isnt "dating related", but it is still a good sample nonetheless. I play Dungeons and dragons with a fairly large group of friends (approx 9 people, but we havent gotten together in a long while (2 months time)). Well lets just say, If I try to be funny on purpose, its not funny at all. Now if I just pull jokes, snark, and deadpan all on a whim, all on the spur of the moment, without thinking, alot of people tend to classify the results as a comedic goldmine. And it is something I am steadily getting better at, probably since Ive been outgrowing some of the standard aspergian social limitations to a degree. This in turn could in fact apply to other aspies.

In essence, I am gonna ask yas to try something, just to test this. Try to not focus on the thoughts, but just simply act. It might help It might not, but I need other people to try It to test out my theory.

When I was in psychotherapy, one of my psychologists helped me realize it was hard for me to meet friends because of overthinking, rather than just acting. Once I just talked without thinking too much about it, I was able to meet more friends.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 4:21 am

Quote:

Ha. Well... you see... if I don't focus, if I don't think every second about the social situation, I end up staring off into space, or drifting away to the nearest library. It takes a lot of concentration just to be "present" in a social interaction, and even more to be able to say anything. If I relax, I don't become more talkative, because my problem is not social phobia. If I relax, I switch off completely.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 4:56 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:

If you have no intuition, there is no other option. Spontaneity can be deadly without intuition.

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Well lets just say, If I try to be funny on purpose, its not funny at all. Now if I just pull jokes, snark, and deadpan all on a whim, all on the spur of the moment, without thinking, alot of people tend to classify the results as a comedic goldmine.

It's probably not what you say that's funny but the unconventional way you say it. If I'm in a spontaneous mood, I definitely tend to make my friends laugh but it's mostly because at that point my Aspie traits become more obvious and some of them are just plain funny apparently.

DemonAbyss10 wrote:

I tried it. It doesn't work by a long shot....

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 11:00 am

well, you can slowly "ease" yourself into acting a bit more on impulse/instinct, as long as you are still able to control it if need be. The part detailing humor was just an example. I will say though I am lucky that I dont really have issues with crowds, as long as I dont screw up and make myself look stupid.

another example of the overthinking gone bad would be the one time a woman I liked back in highschool asked me to go to prom with her. I chocked, and through choking came up with excuses why. The excuses were that I had no money or transportation. But because I overthunk and said that, I ignored the fact that she acknowledged those problems and offered to pay for me, and that she would have dealt with transportation.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Captain_Kirk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2009, 12:10 pm

I could get a date if I really wanted one. I just happen to have a rather low opinion of women in my age group. And men for that matter too, but this is the dating section. There are three women I could have slept with, but I chose not to. You know why some guys can't get a date? Because they can't look at it from her point of view. If you don't understand that, think of it this way. If 90% of guys died tomorrow, imagine what the world would be like. The law of scarcity would go into effect. So women would be asking men out. If 10 girls walked up to you and asked you out, and 9 of them looked down at their feet when asking, wouldn't you want to choose the one who looked you straight in the eye and didn't stutter? If you still don't understand that, remember that humans are not seperate from nature. We are still animals. And with animals, females want to choose males that would make good fathers. In nature, nice animals finish last, because they can't find food. And if you still don't understand that, think of dating as a business. You are competing for her business. The best businessmen aren't nice guys. You think Donald Trump got to where he was by being nice? The only difference between a date and a job interview is that on a date, you might end up naked at the end of it. So hopefully that helps.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 12:44 pm

I donno, some of those shy ones can be really cute

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:27 pm

Captain_Kirk wrote:
If 10 girls walked up to you and asked you out, and 9 of them looked down at their feet when asking, wouldn't you want to choose the one who looked you straight in the eye and didn't stutter?

Kilroy has a point. Some shy girls can not only be quite beautiful and intelligent, but they may even have a fascinating personality that's just waiting to develop until someone like you gives her the confidence.

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2009, 2:32 pm

Captain_Kirk wrote:
I could get a date if I really wanted one. I just happen to have a rather low opinion of women in my age group. And men for that matter too, but this is the dating section. There are three women I could have slept with, but I chose not to. You know why some guys can't get a date? Because they can't look at it from her point of view. If you don't understand that, think of it this way. If 90% of guys died tomorrow, imagine what the world would be like. The law of scarcity would go into effect. So women would be asking men out. If 10 girls walked up to you and asked you out, and 9 of them looked down at their feet when asking, wouldn't you want to choose the one who looked you straight in the eye and didn't stutter? If you still don't understand that, remember that humans are not seperate from nature. We are still animals. And with animals, females want to choose males that would make good fathers. In nature, nice animals finish last, because they can't find food. And if you still don't understand that, think of dating as a business. You are competing for her business. The best businessmen aren't nice guys. You think Donald Trump got to where he was by being nice? The only difference between a date and a job interview is that on a date, you might end up naked at the end of it. So hopefully that helps.

I disagree. A lot of girls are attracted to gay guys because many of them are nice. However, the guys that are most attractive, are nice in addition to being athletic or masculine. Though, some of it also depends on individual preferences. I've also noticed that a lot of introverted people are drawn to extraverts, and many extraverts are drawn to introverts.

Last edited by rainbowbutterfly on 22 Dec 2009, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:33 pm

Salonfilosoof wrote:
Captain_Kirk wrote:
If 10 girls walked up to you and asked you out, and 9 of them looked down at their feet when asking, wouldn't you want to choose the one who looked you straight in the eye and didn't stutter?

Kilroy has a point. Some shy girls can not only be quite beautiful and intelligent, but they may even have a fascinating personality that's just waiting to develop until someone like you gives her the confidence.

yeah I am trying to "trick" a girl into liking me and she's shy-and she can insult people really well
she's awesome
impossible to read as she is quite strange though
she doesn't have AS, I can tell that, but she's different

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:47 pm

Kilroy wrote:
yeah I am trying to "trick" a girl into liking me and she's shy-and she can insult people really well
she's awesome

That reminds me of my exes. I always end up with the shy weirdo ladies. They are most definitely not easy maintenance, but their weirdness definitely has its charm... a charm I came to passionately love :wink:

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:55 pm

Salonfilosoof wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
she's awesome

That reminds me of my exes. I always end up with the shy weirdo ladies. They are most definitely not easy maintenance, but their weirdness definitely has its charm... a charm I came to passionately love :wink:

I don't like it at all, but i am always running into these sorts
this last one I was introduced to by a friend