Is it a good idea or bad
Good idea 36%  36%  [ 9 ]
Bad Idea 64%  64%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 25

HappyinCO
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2010, 1:20 pm

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. If you all are already friends, then she probably already knows things about you (such as that you might be shy, etc.). If she understands these things about you and is worth dating, then she will not be put off by the fact that you asked her out via a social networking site.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 10:34 am

I, personally, would consider it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Boston_MA
Raven
Raven

04 Jan 2010, 11:01 am

Facebook date request is logical, but NTs are not logical. Many NTs get intimidated by unexpected Facebook messages. A message can be interpreted in many ways and often girls automatically interpret the message as "creepy", "stalking", or "weird". Facebook is not a dating site. If you want, you can first send her a friendly facebook message. I have done the friendly message thing and 4/5 times they don't reply. So, it's better to ask in real life. In fact, facebook is only worth thinking about if you already are talking with girls on facebook or by email and you know her well. Otherwise, it's just creepy in the girl's mind.

Juan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2010, 1:21 pm

ad2009 wrote:
I'm in college. There is someone that I like, but can't exactly figure out how to express that without it being awkward. I've thought about starting up a conversation on Facebook and when the moment is right, asking her out on there, but I've never heard of anyone doing that (at least no one my age). The bigger problem is not her saying no, but her telling other people that I asked her out on Facebook and then having them make fun of me for being unconventional. We have a lot of mutual friends including people that I see every day at school and work. So I want to keep their respect (they would still respect me, but I don't want to be made fun of for a unconventional way of asking for a date). What do u think? Please vote on the poll and comment about why

I tried to do that.
I felt very bad when I pressed the button and retrieve the request.
And I felt even bad after I did all this things.

I think you'd better not do this.

If you like her, you may ask her if she want a date.
If she says no, it nothing to lose.

You can't lose someone you don't have.
Don't you?

BetsyRath
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jan 2010, 6:57 pm

I'd be totally fine with that. This isn't 1921. Nobody has to come into my parlor with a calling card. This gives me time to think carefully about an answer. I asked my aspie out via email!

I'm a little fearful that you are concerned she would make fun of you though. I think if you feel that uncertain you might want to know her a little better.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 8:52 pm

If a girl had asked me out I would of prefered it in person because there's more feelings to it compared to the having to be asked out just on facebook and I occassionally go on facebook but not often.

But what I would of done is talk to the girl more and more on facebook and tell her that you got a surprise, and when you see her in person, that's when you tell her but you got to be 99.9% sure she actually likes u back, it would work. :wink:

If not liking that idea, you could always just tell her on facebook, better in inbox, dawn, modern love these days are soooo cheesy. :lol: it's worth it though :)

superboyian.

jefe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2010, 10:30 pm

I only voted bad idea because it doesn't work, at least not for me. Scheming never works, just gotta be upfront and hope for a victory. But, as someone said there's nothing to lose, except it would probably be awkward if you see her a lot.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 11:13 am

Don't do it. Some people are weird about being asked out on the internet, and while I'm not one of them you want to give yourself the best chance.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2010, 11:52 am

As a girl who has been asked out on fb before (and said no), I say no - it's a bad idea. If the person who asked me out over fb was someone whom I hadn't met before in person, I wouldn't even consider going out on a date with them. If it was someone I knew in person, maybe... it depends on how well I knew them. If it was someone I felt like I was good friends with/knew well and had spend one on one time with in person on several occasions, maybe... Apart from that though, probably not. I would also lose respect for that person for not having the guts to approach me in person or ask me out over the phone at least (unless using fb was a matter of necessity).