Boyfriend won't talk to me about my possible AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 12:28 am

Hey, everyone. Pleased to announce that on 2/1/10, I will be starting the evaluation process for Aspergers. In the meantime, I try to talk to my boyfriend about it, but I usually get one-word answers, and the subject gets changed soon after(Haha! Check out this cool article on Kotaku! and so on).
I thought he'd be more willing to talk about it, as he has a brother with HFA. I showed him the movie "Mozart & The Whale", which he liked, as it comforted him that perhaps his brother could find happiness and support by his peers. I then showed him "Ben X", and he begged me to turn it off after they showed the montage of Ben being severely bullied over the years.
Thing is, I greatly suspect my boyfriend of having AS himself. I've never directly confronted him about it, as he already has a bit of an inferiority complex(I think he's still wondering how I could have fallen in love with him, but I do love him, so that's that). My tentative guess is that perhaps he doesn't want to think of himself as "defective".
I can respect that people don't always want a possible diagnosis shoved in their face, but my own possible AS is important to me. Still, I get the one-word answers when I talk about it. I find it important to me, and I want to talk about it with him. I want to share the evaluations with him- keep him up to date. If you can't talk about it with your significant other, who can you talk to?
I guess I'm at a loss. Anyone have similar situations with their S/O? Any advice?

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2010, 2:02 am

Be persistent and firm. Tell him that it is important for the two of you to discuss it, as it could have significant ramifications for your relationship, and even if it doesn't, it's something he needs to know about, and he will need to be there to provide any support or encouragement you may need. Sit down with him. Get his undivided attention. Emphasize, as strongly as possible, that this something you two must talk about. If he changes the subject, change it right back.

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2010, 6:50 am

You tried telling him it's important to you?

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 3:57 pm

I've told him the diagnosis is important to me. His response: "I know". End of subject. Perhaps I should specify that DISCUSSING IT is important to me.

DataSage
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2010, 5:23 pm

No offense, but your boyfriend, at least from the way you describe him, seems highly immature. At least to the extent of being sensitive about serious issues. Having AS isn't exactly cancer, but you catch my drift, right? I mean who gives a damn about Kotaku when you're talking about medical conditions? Maybe he doesn't understand its scope. Perhaps you could explain it to him more clearly.

Also, he sounds like he just genuinely doesn't care. Can't do much in that case.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 8:22 pm

He hardly wants to talk about his brother's condition either.

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2010, 10:55 pm

DataSage wrote:
No offense, but your boyfriend, at least from the way you describe him, seems highly immature. At least to the extent of being sensitive about serious issues. Having AS isn't exactly cancer, but you catch my drift, right? I mean who gives a damn about Kotaku when you're talking about medical conditions? Maybe he doesn't understand its scope. Perhaps you could explain it to him more clearly.

Also, he sounds like he just genuinely doesn't care. Can't do much in that case.

Is it immature to avoid a subject that causes you extreme personal discomfort? I am not saying thats what one should do, but immaturity is abit harsh.

DataSage
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2010, 12:30 pm

VincentVanJones wrote:
DataSage wrote:

Is it immature to avoid a subject that causes you extreme personal discomfort? I am not saying thats what one should do, but immaturity is abit harsh.

Yes it is.

A real man would talk about it. A real man would grab the bull by the horns and deal with the discomfort. There is no benefit hiding from the harshness of life, especially when it deals with your own self.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 1:09 pm

wait a minute... why is datasage using lpp's avatar?

DataSage
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2010, 2:24 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
wait a minute... why is datasage using lpp's avatar?

Wasn't aware someone else had that avatar. I'll change it to avoid confusion.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2010, 12:10 am

Thing is, it's my AS traits (obsession, understanding of obsessions, idiosyncracies) that make us a good match. But what if we someday have a kid who is also on the spectrum? If that happens, I'm prepared to deal with it head-on, but will he? I'd be devastated if he turned out to be like so many undiagnosed AS parents who alienate their children. I've read enough posts on the Haven to know what that all entails.
I need to figure out how to snap him into understanding how important this is.