The girl with the broken wing..

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Leander
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2010, 7:03 pm

I'm drawn to "broken" girls too, up to a certain level of brokenness. Part of it is probably down to having a generally protective nature, and part of it is just a desire to be with someone like myself.

And then, I have to admit, there are probably less healthy motivations too. Like a desire to feel needed and valued, and naive thoughts of being someone's white knight. Neither are good reasons to enter into a relationship, I'm sure.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:03 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
My wife and I both have battle scars. It is a fine line, as too little experience leaves the potential partner unaware or unable to understand the challenges that remain as a result, while too much leaves insurmountable baggage and a victim mentality. Having someone who has felt similar pain but is unwilling to allow you to wallow in it seems the most ideal solution. Someone too 'damaged' isn't attractive to me, but neither is someone who has no desire or 'need' for me either.

I'd second that. I'm looking for a similar level of both perceptiveness and integrity.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 12:04 am

Lene wrote:
Quote:
And I think now that this is because well-adjusted women are ultimately boring and unattractive.

That's a bit unfair don't you think? There are loads of wonderful interesting well adjusted people in the world.

To say women have to be maladjusted in order to be interesting is rather a cruel demand to place on anyone. Personally, I would rather be happy, wih peace of mind than give two hoots about whether or not people like you found me interesting.
Quote:
Someone who doesn't have to deal with any major personal issues in life, either physical or mental, doesn't know what its like to have to deal with these issues day in and day out, and leads a much more carefree, shallow life.

Sorry, but that's not true. Just because someone has been lucky enough to avoid major trauma in life does not mean they are now living a shallow existance. Equally, many people with issues are quite self-absorbed and superficial.

He probably could have worded it better, but i'm pretty sure that wasn't what he meant.
He means these people who have had no major problems in their life, don't UNDERSTAND and often have low tolerance for people who have because they don't know what it feels like. I know what he means, and its hard not to be angry. Some people are just dealt better cards than us, and the fact they don't understand etc is frustrating.

As for the boring he is right and wrong, there are interesting well adjusted people, but some of these people are not shallow, but shallow thinkers. Thats part of the reason they're happy in the first place.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 7:22 am

This thread has made me think of something I read in Billy Connolly's wife Pamela Stevenson said in an interview. One of the things that attracted her to him was:

"...his underlying sadness and the pain of his childhood ... when I first met him I think I connected with that."

I can relate to what has been said about finding someone who has experiences that help them to understand the difficulties I have had in my own life.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 9:25 am

I feel like a serial killer for even liking girls with a bad past.

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2010, 1:52 pm

musicboxforever wrote:
This thread has made me think of Billy Connolly.

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life :D

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 1:58 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
Having someone who has felt similar pain but is unwilling to allow you to wallow in it seems the most ideal solution.

This sentence is intriguing to me. Can you please expand on this idea? How does one go about "not allowing you to wallow in pain" ?

alana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 5:56 pm

monsterland wrote:
Made this mistake twice, paid dearly, not doing this again. This is because the "broken ones"... you give them a hand, but instead of grabbing it and pulling themselves up, they pull you down in the dirt. And never let up.

I have to agree with this. I didn't use to but this is my personal experience. *Unless* the experience of whatever trauma is in their conscious mind and they are going everything in their power to heal from it. Which alot of them aren't. Then there is the 'recovery' variety who just adopt a new 12-step/dogmatic persona once they enter recovery and censor their crazy behavior from anyone who would call them on it. I have heard there are two definitions of 'recovery' to re-cover, i.e. to cover something back up again, with a whole new ball of wax while nothing heals, and to recover something lost. It's really important for me that the 'recovering' people I associate with are #2 defintion of recovery, as soon as I find out someone is a #1 type recovering person I really try to avoid them.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 9:31 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
Having someone who has felt similar pain but is unwilling to allow you to wallow in it seems the most ideal solution.

This sentence is intriguing to me. Can you please expand on this idea? How does one go about "not allowing you to wallow in pain" ?

Certainly. Someone who recognizes the struggle and pain, but refuses to remain there indefinitely, and works to find solutions through being supportive - not by being a crutch.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Mosaicofminds
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2010, 9:51 pm

Quote:
Can you please expand on this idea? How does one go about "not allowing you to wallow in pain" ?

Someone can do this by changing the subject after a while when it seems like you're wallowing, or by inviting you to do some fun or distracting activity.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 10:14 am

Thanks. I have trouble knowing what it means to "be supportive" and I need to learn to do better. My husband and I both have broken wings and neither of us is in a position to lift the other up and have trouble finding the "mutually supportive" line.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 12:47 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Thanks. I have trouble knowing what it means to "be supportive" and I need to learn to do better. My husband and I both have broken wings and neither of us is in a position to lift the other up and have trouble finding the "mutually supportive" line.

My wife and I have the same challenge; it isn't a perfect system one installs and runs in the background. It takes work. We argued this morning because due to stress we have both ended up sitting on our own shoulders since our heads are shoved so far up their respective orifices. Takes compromise, trusting both your own suggestions and the behavior of your partner.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!