Broke men are hurting American women’s marriage prospects

Page 1 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 4:39 pm

https://nypost.com/2019/09/06/broke-men ... prospects/

Quote:

Most American women hope to marry, but current shortages of marriageable men — men with a stable job and a good income — make this increasingly difficult,” says lead author Daniel Lichter in a press release.

“Many young men today have little to bring to the marriage bargain, especially as young women’s educational levels on average now exceed their male suitors’,” Lichter says.

Some ladies are even starting to date down in order to score a forever partner.

And sure, there’s the whole “love” factor in a marriage. But, in the end, “it also is fundamentally an economic transaction,” says Lichter.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 4:40 pm

Depressing but in already knew such :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:37 pm

He seems legit...

Quote:
Dr. Daniel T. Lichter is the Ferris Family professor in the Department of Policy Analysis and Management, Professor of Sociology, former Director of the Cornell Population Center, and current Robert S. Harrison Director of the Institute for Social Sciences. He joined the Cornell faculty in August 2005. He has previously taught at Pennsylvania State University (1981-1999) and The Ohio State University (1999-2005).

He teaches courses on population and public policy, poverty and inequality, and demographic techniques.

(From the Cornell website.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2019, 5:40 pm

sly279 wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/09/06/broke-men-are-hurting-american-womens-marriage-prospects/

Quote:

Most American women hope to marry, but current shortages of marriageable men — men with a stable job and a good income — make this increasingly difficult,” says lead author Daniel Lichter in a press release.

“Many young men today have little to bring to the marriage bargain, especially as young women’s educational levels on average now exceed their male suitors’,” Lichter says.

And sure, there’s the whole “love” factor in a marriage. But, in the end, “it also is fundamentally an economic transaction,” says Lichter.

Nothing wrong with this. I guess equality will be having the dudes stay home for a couple decades and swap DVD's out of the DVD player for some kids.
The 2 income family is really a bad model for raising children. Who thinks a kid being raised by a combination of the state and minimum wage help is going to turn out okay? Insane people. I don't care which spouse works, but someone needs to manage these animals who gives a crap.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 6:11 pm

Roboto wrote:
sly279 wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/09/06/broke-men-are-hurting-american-womens-marriage-prospects/

Quote:

Nothing wrong with this. I guess equality will be having the dudes stay home for a couple decades and swap DVD's out of the DVD player for some kids.
The 2 income family is really a bad model for raising children. Who thinks a kid being raised by a combination of the state and minimum wage help is going to turn out okay? Insane people. I don't care which spouse works, but someone needs to manage these animals who gives a crap.

The problem is most women won’t accept men who make less so no they won’t accept a stay at home dad.

That’s what this and many other studies show. Most women want men who make as much or more then them, not less then them. So they can’t find men to marry and are upset.

The solution of course is simple but most won’t do it, accept men who make less then the, like men have being doing with women for thousands of years.

It’ll only get worse as the trend keeps going, less men go to college, more women go to college, more and more women will make more then men. They find it increasingly harder to find that Prince Charming who makes more then them.
Women make up the majority of graduating college students. Get high paying jobs and expect men with similar or higher income, but sorry life doesn’t work out that way, mean 70% women 30% men, so only 30% of those women can find a mate provided all those 30% men are compatible and good men

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 6:16 pm

My wife makes more than me....

I’ve gone out with quite a few women who accept that I’m only a clerk.

Roboto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2019, 6:22 pm

sly279 wrote:
Roboto wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Quote:

The problem is most women won’t accept men who make less so no they won’t accept a stay at home dad.

That’s what this and many other studies show. Most women want men who make as much or more then them, not less then them. So they can’t find men to marry and are upset.

The solution of course is simple but most won’t do it, accept men who make less then the, like men have being doing with women for thousands of years.

It’ll only get worse as the trend keeps going, less men go to college, more women go to college, more and more women will make more then men. They find it increasingly harder to find that Prince Charming who makes more then them.
Women make up the majority of graduating college students. Get high paying jobs and expect men with similar or higher income, but sorry life doesn’t work out that way, mean 70% women 30% men, so only 30% of those women can find a mate provided all those 30% men are compatible and good men

This is why the feminist movement is rotten to the core in my point of view.
Men are horrible, so let's all go be exactly like them. What a goal...
Like there's something noble in slaving your life away in a cubicle working 5-6 days/week essentially just to continue ruining the planet to get to enjoy 1 or 2 days/week... What a deal.

I'm rather lucky to live among more diverse populations than most of you, or perhaps I dismiss human beings who have crappy moral values rather quickly and I don't take it personally.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 8:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

And thousands of people out of 320 million win the lottery a year, doesn’t mean I’ll win the lottery.

The odds of me ever meeting the 1% of single women willing to date a disabled min wage worker with 20,000 in debt and still like me for other reasons is slim to none :(
I’m. Ore likely to win the lottery then that. :cry:

And again there’s half million desperate women in your area, any man is better then no man, here we have extra men, so women don’t have to settle for subhuman trash like me. They have tons of options.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 8:14 pm

sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

And thousands of people out of 320 million win the lottery a year, doesn’t mean I’ll win the lottery.

The odds of me ever meeting the 1% of single women willing to date a disabled min wage worker with 20,000 in debt and still like me for other reasons is slim to none :(

And again there’s half million desperate women in your area, any man is better then no man, here we have extra men, so women don’t have to settle for subhuman trash like me. They have tons of options.

Hey sly, a bit off topic but you said you're not allowed to have more than 2,000 dollars in the bank and stay on disability, right? I think that's a really, really crappy rule btw.

But would you then be able to instead put any excess money you make towards paying off the 20,000 debt you have?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 8:23 pm

I never benefited from the "abundance" of women in NYC.

The women I used to meet----probably would have liked you, too. They didn't really care about income or cars or anything.

Dog1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2019, 8:56 pm

sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Sly, you can't be down on yourself like that.

I've known plenty of women who have lazy boyfriends that don't work and stay at home - it's more common than you think.

You have a better personality than most, and that's an attractive feature to women.

You just have to put yourself out there more - ask women out for coffee and I am sure you will get some positive results. :D

Dog1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2019, 8:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I never benefited from the "abundance" of women in NYC.

The women I used to meet----probably would have liked you, too. They didn't really care about income or cars or anything.

Exactly. :thumright:

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 9:39 pm

You can't argue against someone's lived experience.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 1:34 am

sly279 wrote:

Quote:

Most American women hope to marry, but current shortages of marriageable men — men with a stable job and a good income — make this increasingly difficult,”

That shortage made life much easier for me. It turned me into a rare commodity.

You know what you have to do Sly. You have to get a good salary. Yes I realise that's nearly impossible. It was for me too. But if there's even the slightest chance, you must try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

sly279 wrote:

Is the solution to change yourself or is the solution to change the whole rest of the world? It's usually less effort to change yourself than to change the world.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

16 Nov 2019, 4:17 am

sly279 wrote:

Except, for some of that time, men weren't accepting women without much money, they were causing it by denying them an education or decent job. Plus, women were considered to be owned by the father then the husband. Would you want a poor owner if you had no source of income yourself? Obviously now-a-days that's not the case but change will take time.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 4:31 am

Dog1 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Sly, you can't be down on yourself like that.

I've known plenty of women who have lazy boyfriends that don't work and stay at home - it's more common than you think.

You have a better personality than most, and that's an attractive feature to women.

You just have to put yourself out there more - ask women out for coffee and I am sure you will get some positive results. :D

If that’s you in the picture then I think it’s better not to lecture him much lol.

Yeah, looks are very important in dating too.